The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Braking distance

Olga

Production/Transit
Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a simple question, does anybody knows the exact braking distance from 100 kmh to zero? Dry and wet? With the different tires (BFG, Bridgestone)?

I assume the brembo system is very powerful and performant.

I did not find any tests in the net.

Thx a lot for your help

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a simple question, does anybody knows the exact braking distance from 100 kmh to zero? Dry and wet? With the different tires (BFG, Bridgestone)?

I assume the brembo system is very powerful and performant.

I did not find any tests in the net.

Thx a lot for your help
I don't have any figures, and Brembo brakes do have a very good reputation. But I have to say I'm very underwhelmed by the performance of the brakes. (Coming from a Discovery 4).
It came as a surprise when I collected the vehicle new how poor they were. I put it down initially to new pads, discs and tyres bedding in. But 3000 miles on the clock they are still falling short of expectations. My driving style has adapted to suit the situation, and I put it down to the servo assistant not being up to providing enough grunt for a 2.8T vehicle. Ironically when towing a 3.5T trailer I find the overrun brakes on the trailer actually assists much better.
Unless it is just me with an issue with the servo.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree. They don’t feel as capable as perhaps they should. Range Rover which also uses Brembo. That said stopped ok with 3 tonne on the back, no skidding or drama.
I’ve tried slamming on the brakes (no one behind me) and cannot get the ABS to activate or skid. You can definitely feel the weight.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
Is the brake booster on the Grenadier vacuum operated or electromechanical? This can effect feel and effort.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
I’ve tried slamming on the brakes (no one behind me) and cannot get the ABS to activate or skid. You can definitely feel the weight.
If the vehicle has ABS, which it does, you shouldn't be able to get it to skid.
2 years ago, as part of a work driver training course on a race track, driving a Subaru BRZ, they had us test out a full ABS stop.
From 100 kmh I stomped the brakes as hard as I could and turned through a set of cones.
The brakes shuddered and brought the vehicle to a stop.
The test was to prove that the wheels never stopped rotating and that I could still use the steering thanks to the ABS system.
It was very impressive.
The brakes on the Grenadier work well as far as I can see.
Not as good as the AMG brakes on my previous Mercedes but that is to be expected.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
Not as good as the AMG brakes on my previous Mercedes but that is to be expected.
The pads and discs on our MB GLC were very soft - a bitey feel - yes - cost a fortune in wear and tear (pads and discs have to be replaced together)

Olga

Production/Transit
Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Well, sounds a bit indifferent. I would not expect 35m as of my x5, but it should not be more than 38m. BFG additional 3-5m. I will get the car in 4 weeks and will test it after a few hundred miles 😎synchronizing pads, discs, tires and courage

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same problem along with lots of brake dust
I'm afraid since the demise of asbestos, brake dust is more prevalent from modern synthetic materials. Although too much dust can be a sign of a sticking caliper.

Back
Top Bottom