The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Brakes?

Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi. Have you taken a look if it has brakes with 4 pistons? Fixed brake calipers with moving pads? Front, rear brakes?

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
Its Brembo so it it doesn't suit they have a huge parts catalogue.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The brakes are technically, for me, a bit of a disappointment. I've never been a fan of sliding calipers and see them more as an item meeting a cost point first, rather than technical performance.

Screenshot_20220304_210825_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20220304_210919_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20211023_163410_com.google.android.youtube.jpgScreenshot_20211023_162909_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Quite right DCPU, 4 pots would've been preferable. Two pot versions on my D4 means my front disks wear unevenly inside/outside so end up having to replace sooner that if had pistons on both sides of the disk.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
Same. In fact the all corners disc and pad change is tomorrow morning for mine if it’s not too hot in the carport.

Would much prefer 4 pot. But as stated earlier. One thing the aftermarket is very active in is brake upgrades. Provided they keep the bias that is…..

Local time
Reaction score
This is a bit disappointing. I didn't realize that there were "lower-end" brake-kits from Brembo, and I had assumed that this would not be an item in need of an upgrade. Just another thing that will require some testing before final judgement...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Brembo is by no means a 'lower end' choice. In the motorbike scene Brembo is actually a first choice brand. And Ineos didn't opt for the 'lower end' of Brembo.

There is a technical reason for their choice: Ineos once said, that they couldn't offer 16" rims due to the space requirements for the brakes. The 17" inch are the minimum which is possible. And sliding calipers take less mounting space.

And they are not in general worse than 4-pad brakes: If the sliding studs are well maintained, they are quite good. But that's the critical point. The studs are more or less 'invisible' and thus often get too little attention.

Local time
Reaction score
Yeah… that’s not what I said, but by all means, tilt at windmills! 😁

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Would it be unusual to take a vehicle with fixed calipers and "upgrade" them to a sliding caliper setup?

Do Brembo themselves offer any performance braking package based on sliding calipers?

There's something of the truth in sliding brakes are designed by accountants, fixed brakes by engineers...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So this is a very recent announcement from Brembo ~ 13th September 2022 ~ but it's just conceivable that our sliding calipers will include the very latest in high tech from Brembo...

ENESYS ENERGY SAVING SYSTEM®

What's that, I hear you ask?

Screenshot_20220916_081558.jpg

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
And they are not in general worse than 4-pad brakes: If the sliding studs are well maintained, they are quite good. But that's the critical point. The studs are more or less 'invisible' and thus often get too little attention.

Exactly, the sliding studs must be cleaned and correctly lubricated at every pad change, or even pad wear will be compromised.

Local time
Reaction score
Then I am apparently missing some linguistic subtleties ;-)
No worries - your English is much better than my German :)

Brembo is one of the best makers of brakes in the world. I think we all know that. What I was saying in my previous post, is that I thought that all the brakes from Brembo were "high end" brakes. I didn't think that Brembo made any "mid-range" brakes (for want of a better word). In other words, I am surprised to see that the Brembo even makes a 2-piston brake kit (especially for use in a heavy vehicle). I just assumed that all Brembo brakes would be 4-piston. But I don't know much about Brembo - maybe they get great performance from their 2-piston brakes... What I do know, is that I had 6 pistons in the brakes on my Audi RS4, and 6 pistons in the brake upgrade I did to my old Jeep JKU (running 35-inch tires).

Having said all that, I would guess that there is much more to brakes these days than just the number of pistons, and it is quite possible that Brembo knows more about brakes than I do. That was a joke.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No worries - your English is much better than my German :)

Brembo is one of the best makers of brakes in the world. I think we all know that. What I was saying in my previous post, is that I thought that all the brakes from Brembo were "high end" brakes. I didn't think that Brembo made any "mid-range" brakes (for want of a better word). In other words, I am surprised to see that the Brembo even makes a 2-piston brake kit (especially for use in a heavy vehicle). I just assumed that all Brembo brakes would be 4-piston. But I don't know much about Brembo - maybe they get great performance from their 2-piston brakes... What I do know, is that I had 6 pistons in the brakes on my Audi RS4, and 6 pistons in the brake upgrade I did to my old Jeep JKU (running 35-inch tires).

Having said all that, I would guess that there is much more to brakes these days than just the number of pistons, and it is quite possible that Brembo knows more about brakes than I do. That was a joke.
I don't see it that way. It's just that it's an Italian company.
But everyone has their own opinion. I don't want to criticise them.

I prefer the good old Alfred Teves Brake from Reinheim/Germany, also known by the abbreviation Ate. The best I had. Later also ITT Teves/Frankfurt/Germany and then Continental International.
Brembo just has good marketing. Just like Audi.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> It's just that it's an Italian company
Like Carraro, Ducati, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, MV Agusta ... ;-)

> Alfred Teves Brake from Reinheim/Germany
Surprise. That's my neighboring village, 3Km from here. I never heard about Teves having a branch there?

But maybe you mean another Reinheim ...?

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
> It's just that it's an Italian company
Like Carraro, Ducati, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, MV Agusta ... ;-)

> Alfred Teves Brake from Reinheim/Germany
Surprise. That's my neighboring village, 3Km from here. I never heard about Teves having a branch there?

But maybe you mean another Reinheim ...?
That must have been in the late 60s, early 70s. Then this production facility was closed and moved to Frankfurt. A few years later, parts of the halls were used by Mattel toys as a warehouse for Big Jim, Big Jeff, Iltschi and Co. I don't know if these halls are still standing. After all, that was half a century ago.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, 60ies - in 1960 I was three years old. Too long ago.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't see it that way. It's just that it's an Italian company.
But everyone has their own opinion. I don't want to criticise them.

I prefer the good old Alfred Teves Brake from Reinheim/Germany, also known by the abbreviation Ate. The best I had. Later also ITT Teves/Frankfurt/Germany and then Continental International.
Brembo just has good marketing. Just like Audi.
I’ve never owned a car with Brembo brakes. The brakes in my 2008 RS4 were made by Lamborghini, and the brakes in my Jeep were aftermarket from Dynatrac. One Italian, one American, both awesome.

What’s your experience with Brembo that leads you to think of them as overrated?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
My R1150 GS has Brembo brakes, double disc in front. I think that if the tires don't slip away either the fork would bend or the entire motorbike would roll over before the Brembos would give up.

I have overly stressed them among other passes on the Stelvio Pass or the Tremola at speeds suitable for prison and never had the slightest problem with fading or the like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom