The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

BMW Shifter Repair Kit Part Number

Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi, just posting a LHD placeholder post for the trim repair kit (gear shift itself is specific to the 7 series, but the repair kit applies to several models including the 7 series).

61316817624 (with ceramic applique)​

61316817622 (without)​

I tried to see the upgraded look with the ceramic and can't seem to find a good picture of it yet and will update the post when I find it. All I could possibly tell is the shifter inlay with the gear indicators is possibly nicer.
Regardless, just sharing these part numbers for aftermarket upgrade (equivalent to OEM) options available if desired.

The direct link: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=7E23-USA-06-2016-G12-BMW-740i&diagId=25_0576

2023-01-12_10h37_07.png

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
Hopefully there will be a cover/option to give the shifter more of a rugged appearance. I know it is what it is, but it looks so out of place given the utilitarian vibe of everything else.

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
Are we planning repairs to the gear selector already? :censored:

Like Krabby, I've never been a fan of this selector - not when there are other options currently being paired with the ZF 8-speed that (1) physically move - allowing you to see as well as feel what gear you are in, (2) provide positive engagement when shifting gears, and (3) have better haptics or feel. The BMW selector seems contrary to the ethos of the Grenadier.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
Are we planning repairs to the gear selector already? :censored:

Like Krabby, I've never been a fan of this selector - not when there are other options currently being paired with the ZF 8-speed that (1) physically move - allowing you to see as well as feel what gear you are in, (2) provide positive engagement when shifting gears, and (3) have better haptics or feel. The BMW selector seems contrary to the ethos of the Grenadier.
I had some difficulty selecting neutral when I test drove the car the first time in Perth, I kept pushing too far forward or rearward and getting R or D.
The second time I drove it at Mt Tamborine I had no problem.
Putting it into manual mode was positive and it is physically in a different position.
I agree it looks a bit out of place amongst the large rugged dials and diff selector.
As It will probably spend most of it's time in D I think I will probably forget about it.
Just thankful they didn't use the horrible Mercedes style gear selector lever on the steering wheel
1673812279701.png

Last edited:

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
I had some difficulty electing neutral when I test drove the car the first time in Perth, I kept pushing too far forward or rearward and getting R or D.
The second time I drove it at Mt Tamborine I had no problem.
Putting it into manual mode was positive and it is physically in a different position.
I agree it looks a bit out of place amongst the large rugged dials and diff selector.
As It will probably spend most of it's time in D I think I will probably forget about it.
Just thankful they didn't use the horrible Mercedes style gear selector lever on the steering wheel
View attachment 7800400
I’ve lived with this w213 shifter for 4 years. Hated every minute of it haha.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Although I don't like the design of the BMW shifter either, I would suppose the design is based on an ergonomic study, and that I will like the feeling.
I am also pleased to see that shifting to a lower speed seems to be straightforward, as I use it more than my breaks!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Although I don't like the design of the BMW shifter either, I would suppose the design is based on an ergonomic study, and that I will like the feeling.
I am also pleased to see that shifting to a lower speed seems to be straightforward, as I use it more than my breaks!
There are options available
1673817259334.png1673817280874.png1673817318256.png1673817352559.png

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it is based on an ergonomic design which hand did they design it for...I would think the right hand because the side button would be pressed by your thumb while your little finger hooks under it and your palm rest flat on the main body of it...love to think we could have the M series shifter without the colour, it looks ambidextrous...happy motoring

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it is based on an ergonomic design which hand did they design it for...love to think we could have the M series shifter without the colour...happy motoring
Interesting point. Given how we left-hand drivers got the better end of the foot rest debacle, could we get lucky twice?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve lived with this w213 shifter for 4 years. Hated every minute of it haha.
It is a shocker. I used to whack it in neutral when I forgot it wasn't the indicator. Interesting on roundabouts!
We swapped for a Volvo EV which is fwds or backwards only!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMO all are terrible solutions to the "problem".
I think an aged peccary skin glove draped over the shifter , and the sensitive touch of a manly hand would do the trick.
I’m feeling things I shouldn’t when you talk like that …

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
We have their cousins here in Arizona. "Javelina," Spanish for smelly little pig rodents.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting point. Given how we left-hand drivers got the better end of the foot rest debacle, could we get lucky twice?
I have seen and should have looked before I posted but the shifter knob in an Off.Grid post in Reviews Coming suggests the left hand drive is the reverse of the right hand...so maybe you are back to luck one...sorry ;)

Last edited:

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
There are options available
Don't forget about the 2020 Toyota Supra to present. It's basically a BMW.

Edited to add part link from Toyota: https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2...627752/SHIFT-LEVER--RETAINER/291440-3312.html

2020-toyota-supra-review.jpg

Last edited:

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't forget about the 2020 Toyota Supra to present. It's basically a BMW.

Edited to add part link from Toyota: https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2...627752/SHIFT-LEVER--RETAINER/291440-3312.html

2020-toyota-supra-review.jpg
Assuming this fits, isn’t it functionally identical in that it doesn’t shift into a gear position, has the same park button and side button and works in the same way as the BMW sourced unit? Sure it’s aesthetically better suited to the styling of the grenadier but I’m not sure it bothers me enough from an aesthetic perspective to fork out over a thousand to swap it out.

Back
Top Bottom