The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Big Red sand driving.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
The last dune when you do west to east !

Great video, brings back some good memories. For overseas owners, if you do a west to east crossing of the Simpson Desert, Big Red is about dune 1,100.

Red everywhere on that trip, but there is a huge variation in tone and colour. On the Simpson Desert trip I took many photos of the sand across the desert. They can be viewed on my blog here. There is an extraordinary variation. Some stories I posted about my crossing as part of a Guided Tour here.

A GPS trial of the trip from Broken Hill across the Simpson to Birdsville. The "wings" in the middle are a flight over Lake Eyre and Anna Creek Station to visit the Painted Hills.

SimpsonTrip.png

It was one part of a larger trip 8,000km trip, which included the Australian Wildlife Conservancy sanctuary at Scotia (a very special place). Lots of pictures of really rare Aussie mammals in that post, including the Bridled Nail Tail Wallaby, thought to be extinct for decades. For me, this is what the Grenadier is for, a continuation of the Excellent Adventure.
NSWSA-May-2014sml.jpg

Michael going to do a Simpson Desert crossing?

Last edited:

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The last dune when you do west to east !

Great video, brings back some good memories. For overseas owners, if you do a west to east crossing of the Simpson Desert, Big Red is about dune 1,100.

Red everywhere on that trip, but there is a huge variation in tone and colour. On the Simpson Desert trip I took many photos of the sand across the desert. They can be viewed on my blog here. There is an extraordinary variation.

Michael going to do a Simpson Desert crossing?
Certainly on my list now that I’ve got a taste for it.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thoroughly recommend Prof. C.T. Madigan's personal account of his 1939 expedition across the Simpson Desert " Crossing the Dead Heart". It's an easy and very informative read ( incl. as to why the sand changes colour!). First published in 1946, the most recent imprint is 2023.
Michael, your vid. has just enthused me even more to visit there!😉

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well done @Michael H. !

We also found best results sticking/holding it in 5th low. For those new to dune driving: it reduces the rotational/tyre torque somewhat and stops the digging in, which in turn preserves momentum.

Michael all your temps stayed in normal range?
Yes. All temperatures normal. And my car didn’t go home on a tilt tray like an unfortunate member of our group, but that's a long story.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you get time and are set up well, try not to just dash across the French Line but do some of the Rig Rd, WAA and K1 Lines as well. Then you’ll experience more country and track variety and not be so crowded during the winter months. It’s magic country out there, and once you’ve done the Simpson you’ll get a thirst to do some more remote travel.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
Another great video Michael H. Boy do you guys get some nice weather and scenery down there.

Back
Top Bottom