The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery location

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
What are the community’s thoughts on battery location? Any intel yet?

I hope it isn’t in an asinine location like under the footwell of the second row seat. IMHO if it was in the cabin around the rear or under the bonnet that would be good. In the cabin rear would open up options to swap into lithium batteries without the adverse effects of engine heat. 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
In some of the 2b prototypes, I've heard it's under the 2nd row seats. Whether this is final or not though I'm not sure. 

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of where they are putting the batteries, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ineos is making allowances for dual battery setup from the factory. They are incredibly common on commercial vehicles here in North America, especially any spec'd with a diesel. In every case I've seen (and I'm talking pickups/HD trucks), it's a case of a main starter battery on one side of the engine bay, and a second empty battery tray (in non-Diesels) on the opposite side. In other words, they just come ready for two batteries whether you need them or not, and that is what I hope Ineos is doing too. 

I wouldn't be upset if Ineos borrowed this model and puts a primary "starter" battery under the hood but allows for a secondary battery location under the second row of seats or something -- that would actually be really helpful as a number of powered accessories are likely going to be in cargo area as opposed to the crowded engine bay. 

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I would enjoy either placement. I wonder if Ineos added multiple grommets / entry points from the engine bay into the cabin for this purpose. On the Ram, there is a molded tube inlayed into the brake master cylinder grommet. You just trim the tip and it will allow a 6 gauge wire to pass through.

This talk of batteries has me thinking. Does anyone know if the Grenadier will have auto start / stop?  I pray not...

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier will have auto start stop, as it's a legal requirement now in some countries. You can see the button to disable it on the dashboard, so get used to hitting that everytime you get in the vehicle!  

Tazer units like the ones you can get fir jeeps have an option to disable it though, so hopefully someone comes out with one for the Grenny.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Or jeep wrangler, or new defender. Theres no getting around certain things. But as mentioned, with a taser it becomes a non issue 

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have heard mixed reviews on the Tazer DT. I use alphaobd for the ram and used GAP diagnostics for the LR. There is also autostop eliminator, but they would need to develop something. 

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We use the taser in the UK as its readily available. The AEV procal is also good. Its all down to the popularity and take up of the Vehicle. The more that sell, the more things will be developed for it!

Michael Gain

Reservation Holder
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Great point. Niche vehicles do have some friction breaking into the aftermarket. Also cost point would be higher for low volume sales. 

I do look forward to hearing your experiences, as you will have the vehicle first.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I do hope we get it sharpish! 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure how niche this will end up being a far as the electronic control systems go. Ineos have already said that they have the BMW engines, with that come the electronic modules and the infotainment as a package and BMW already use the ZF gearbox across the board as I understand for the automatics.

Hopefully it will just be a case of plugging in a BMW version of the procal etc.

At least we can hope.

For the auto stop, INEOS please have the switch specced up as a press on / press off unit and not a momentary. If legislatively you're not allowed to do that then please just make it so we can swap it out with one. Or failing that in the 'wilderness repair' part of the technical manual that you're going to preinstall in the infotainment system have a section where you advise the stranded end user how to bypass this.

But with this I'm digressing and getting way off topic. 

Starting battery in the engine bay and space, pre wired for a house/secondary battery somewhere in the cabin, with a vent pipe for the battery hydrogen, or a grommet by the battery box to install one.

Elson

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Spjnr said:
In some of the 2b prototypes, I've heard it's under the 2nd row seats. Whether this is final or not though I'm not sure. 

I swear I've seen a video of it under the rear bench behind the right side seat, but I can't find the clip for the love or the money

SteveGren

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Elson said:
I swear I've seen a video of it under the rear bench behind the right side seat, but I can't find the clip for the love or the money

I saw that video too..but also don't recall where!

Elson

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Red pepper userid=8373838 postid=1328857243] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhOF2Vm28ds

Check video on 28:10 [/QUOTE]

Great spot Red Pepper! Looks like that will be quite a redesign to move it somewhere else. It could happen!  But at this stage, and considering that it has been anecdotally reported that most of the interior layout is now confirmed, I doubt it

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Aah at 28m5s. Thank you @Red pepper.  Thats good that they are thinking about 2 batteries. still not very enthused about the location. It seems its raised up above the floor..maybe it will be different in the final draft. But please keep it in the cabin with an option for wiring an aux

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So I saw this video today which shows the best photo of the under seat battery and aux battery + compressor mounting locations. Looks like there enough space for a 75aH or maybe even a 100 aH battery. Around the 10m30s mark
https://youtu.be/ZuCS_hol428

Local time
Reaction score
Just wondering here.   What specific accessories would benefit from the second battery?

Back
Top Bottom