The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery charging

Local time
11:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi all how much trim do you have to remove to get to charge the start battery have almost got the seat out but need another tool to remove completely the AUX battery is easy to get to but the starter is a bit of a pig.
Also it won't seem to go above 75 % via alternator charging so going to whip a smart charger on it.
I think some of the bings and bongs are due to low charge on start battery.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all how much trim do you have to remove to get to charge the start battery have almost got the seat out but need another tool to remove completely the AUX battery is easy to get to but the starter is a bit of a pig.
Also it won't seem to go above 75 % via alternator charging so going to whip a smart charger on it.
I like @DCPU idea, charge, with a smart charger through the live pin on the 13 socket. I'm going to make one up while waiting.

Local time
Reaction score
I like @DCPU idea, charge, with a smart charger through the live pin on the 13 socket. I'm going to make one up while waiting.
I'm not touching the socket if they have only put 10 wires in how do we know if the ones there are correct without tracing things I prefer a+ and + on the battery then I can't go wrong.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have wired two CTEK smart charging lead, one to each battery, they flash red, amber and green to warn of level of charge in the battery. CTEK 10 amp msx 10 plugs into each one so I can 100% charge both batteries. Plus I now have a 2 meter CTEK extension lead so I do not have to leave the charger in the vehicle.
Good news is they were on 100% when I left home last Thursday, one week and 400 miles of all sorts of driving, computer says 80% and smart leads showing amber?
I have also bought some extension leads for the USB A & c power points behind the front seats. I can confirm that by just switching the power switch in the roof, they become live, no key in ignition or switching of other switches needed.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
Shouldn‘t you be able to charge the starter battery through charging points under the bonnet?
My battery was down to 56 % when I collected the vehicle. It now is between 8+ and 9+ only through the alternators charging. The glitches do not refer to the charging status.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's a real mess under the seats in terms of access. It looks from many of the prototypes that never had any seat box trim that the final design was late and rushed.

It's certainly I'll considered from any form of maintenance perspective. 😡

That doesn't sound right? It was definitely showing 86% and above before I started parking it on a CTEK charger.

Reactions: PBD

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Shouldn‘t you be able to charge the starter battery through charging points under the bonnet?
My battery was down to 56 % when I collected the vehicle. It now is between 8+ and 9+ only through the alternators charging. The glitches do not refer to the charging status.
The most my computer says is going to the battery Is 1 to 3 amps, most of the time it’s 1 amp.

Local time
Reaction score
I have wired two CTEK smart charging lead, one to each battery, they flash red, amber and green to warn of level of charge in the battery. CTEK 10 amp msx 10 plugs into each one so I can 100% charge both batteries. Plus I now have a 2 meter CTEK extension lead so I do not have to leave the charger in the vehicle.
Good news is they were on 100% when I left home last Thursday, one week and 400 miles of all sorts of driving, computer says 80% and smart leads showing amber?
I have also bought some extension leads for the USB A & c power points behind the front seats. I can confirm that by just switching the power switch in the roof, they become live, no key in ignition or switching of other switches needed.
Think I’ll do that did you have to remove both back seats?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not touching the socket if they have only put 10 wires in how do we know if the ones there are correct without tracing things
I've done it for you on the other thread. 👍

I prefer a+ and + on the battery then I can't go wrong.
But jamming cables, especially mains voltage, in door shuts is an inelegant solution at best.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had some initial indications that via the Smartpass my single CTEK wired into the towing socket, charged the main battery first and then switched over to the auxiliary. Other than time, you may be able to save a charger for something else?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Think I’ll do that did you have to remove both back seats?No just lifted them up and forc
Think I’ll do that did you have to remove both back seats?
No I just lifted the seats up and forced the trim out of the way, wedged it! The battery terminals are a sod though!

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've done it for you on the other thread. 👍

But jamming cables, especially mains voltage, in door shuts is an inelegant solution at best.
I know but I’m a piss poor electrician😂 I can see a trip over to see you, how much an hour to sort the wiring out🤣

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The most my computer says is going to the battery Is 1 to 3 amps, most of the time it’s 1 amp.
Not at my car it easy is charging in the two digits area.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a real mess under the seats in terms of access. It looks from many of the prototypes that never had any seat box trim that the final design was late and rushed.

It's certainly I'll considered from any form of maintenance perspective. 😡
I agree completely, I already tried to remove the plastic covers and stopped... from a maintenance access standpoint this is a shame.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm also interested in understanding where to connect the cteck quick connector to keep the batteries charged with my cteck XS 0,8

Back
Top Bottom