The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

B58 Engine Overview

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score

"In a never ending quest for more performance and efficiency the B family of engines was developed. We dive into what makes the B58 3.0 liter TwinPower inline 6 engine special.

BMW B58 Highlights
  • 3.0 liter inline 6 cylinderEngine codes B58B30M0 (ULEV II) and B56B30M0 (SULEV) - Bx7 engines are dieselSingle turbo, twin scroll, water to air intercoolingForged crankshaft and piston rodsIntake and exhaust VANOSTwinPower Turbo TechnologiesModular B family design
The B58 6-cylinder engine forms part of the new in-line engine family. The B58 engine features elements including double VANOS, TwinPower exhaust turbocharger technology, indirect charge air cooling that has been integrated into the intake system and a heat management module.

The new engine generation is mainly characterized by lower fuel consumption and fewer exhaust emissions (It complies with Euro 6 in ECE and ULEV II in the US). A characteristic map-controlled oil pump, an injection system with direct rail and electric arc wire injection cylinder bores are used to achieve low fuel consumption. All engines are also equipped with an automatic engine start-stop function and intelligent generator control as a further EfficientDynamics measure. Compared with the N engines (N55/N20), the new B engine generation (B38/B48/B58) demonstrates a considerably higher number of common and interchangeable parts between the diesel (Bx7 models) and gasoline (Bx8) engines.

B58 to N55 Comparison
The B58 engine is the successor to the N55 engine. The following table compares the technical data for both engines. The B58 has more horsepower and torque then the N55.

Notable changes from the N55
  • Improvement of Valvetronic - VVT4 with reduced heightRear mounted VANOS and timing chainMechanical water pump (N55 is electric)Thermostat replaced with heat management moduleAir to water intercooler replaces air to air system
TwinPower Turbo Technologies

TwinPower Turbo is a commonly misunderstood term, often being confused with twin turbo, especially as it was introduced around the time BMW discontinued the twin turbo N54 engine. TwinPower does not mean twin turbo, in BMW nomenclature it is the umbrella term that means the following technologies are used:
  • VANOSValvetronicDirect injectionTurbocharging
Crankcase / Engine Block Design

The crankcase is a completely new design engineered as both a gasoline and diesel engine in one common part. The closed deck crankcase is equipped with a completely new structure which can be identified by a complex array of ribs on the exhaust and intake side and an additional reinforcement frame on the oil sump side. The structural construction of the B58 include:
  • Heat-treated all aluminum crankcase made from AlSiMgCu 0.5Electric arc wire-sprayed cylinder wallsWeight-optimized main bearing cap of crankshaftClosed deck designDeep skirtOil ducts for the use of a map-controlled oil pump
Closed-deck design
With the closed-deck design, the coolant ducts around the cylinder are closed from above and provided with coolant bore holes. This design is mainly reserved for BMW diesel engines. Due to the high combustion pressures in the diesel engine, a greater degree of rigidity is required in order that the forces can be safely absorbed. As the gasoline engine uses the same unfinished cast part as the diesel engine, it also benefits from this robust design.

Cross-flow cooling
The B58 engine is equipped with a cylinder head featuring transverse flow cooling. In the case of cross-flow cooling, the coolant flows from the hot exhaust side to the cooler intake side. This has the advantage of enabling a more uniform heat distribution to prevail throughout the cylinder head. Loss of pressure in the cooling circuit is also prevented.

Electric arc wire spraying
The cylinder walls of the B58 engine are coated with electric arc wire spray (LDS). In this procedure a conductive metal wire is heated until it melts. The melt is then sprayed onto the cylinder barrels at high pressure. This layer of ferrous material is roughly 0.3 mm thick, extremely wear-resistant and facilitates an efficient transfer of heat from the combustion chambers to the crankcase, and from there to the coolant ducts

Timing Chain, VANOS and Valvetronic Components

click for full diagram

On of the bigger changes on the B58 is the location of the cam shaft timing chain drive. Typically found on the front of the engine, the B family of engines has the chain drive on the transmission side. The inertia of the transmission at this end of the engine significantly reduces the rotary oscillations and also therefore the loads acting on the chain drive.

Note the two different chains that make up the cam drive chain. In the diesel engines, the high pressure fuel pump is driven by this intermediary gear setup. On the gasoline engines the high pressure fuel pump is located on top of the engine so a simple gear transfer sprocket is used.

To facilitate VANOS repairs the VANOS solenoid valve actuators on the B58 are not mounted to the cylinder head, but in the cylinder head cover. Presumably the cylinder head cover (valve cover) can be removed to change the solenoid so the entire engine does not need to be dropped. Additionally the mounting of the VANOS solenoid valve actuators has also changed. They are no longer bolted on, but are attached to the cylinder head cover using a bayonet fitting and retaining clips.

VANOS
The valve overlap times have a significant impact on the characteristics of the engine. An engine with smaller valve overlap therefore tends to have a high maximum torque at low engine speeds but the maximum power which can be achieved at high engine speeds is low. The maximum power achieved with a large valve overlap on the other hand is higher, but this is at the expense of the torque at low engine speeds. The VANOS provides a solution. It makes a high torque possible in the low and medium engine speed range and a high maximum power in the higher engine speed ranges. A further benefit of the VANOS is the option of internal EGR. This reduces the emission of harmful nitrogen oxides NOx, particularly in the partial load range

Valvetronic
The Valvetronic has been further developed for use in the new Bx8 engines. A distinguishing feature of the VVT4 is the Valvetronic servomotor is located outside of the cylinder head. Valvetronic comprises a fully-variable valve lift control and a double VANOS. It operates according to the principle of throttle-free load control. With this system, a throttle valve is only used to stabilize the engine operation at critical operating points and to ensure a slight vacuum for the engine ventilation. A very small vacuum can be produced in the intake pipe by slightly tilting the throttle valve, which allows treated blow-by gases to be introduced into the intake port during naturally-aspirated engine operation.

By reworking the Valvetronic, it has been possible to significantly reduce the installation space. A considerable height advantage has been gained by swapping round the intake camshaft and the eccentric shaft. The new position of the intermediate lever and gate simplifies the application of force in the cylinder head.

Cooling System

click for full diagram

In order to protect components from overheating damage, the engine oil as well as the transmission fluid are cooled using coolant. A mechanical coolant pump makes its return to the engine and is used to circulate the coolant. An electric fan is used to assist the radiator output.

The heat produced by the turbocharger is absorbed by the coolant which is supplied via a coolant connection on the exhaust turbocharger. When the motor is not running, post-cooling of the exhaust turbocharger is possible with the assistance of an electric coolant pump (20 W). This prevents a build-up of heat in the area of the exhaust turbocharger.

Heat management module
The conventional thermostat in the B58 engine is replaced by a so-called heat management module. The heat management module is electrically operated. In contrast to a map controlled thermostat with expansion element, there is no direct, physical connection to the coolant temperature. The opening cross-sections of the various cooling ducts can be variably opened and closed using a rotary valve. The Digital Motor Electronics (DME) require elements including the coolant temperature from the coolant temperature sensor and the material temperature of the cylinder head from the component temperature sensor to correctly position the rotary valve.
Warm-up and cooling of the engine and the supply of additional ancillary components can be implemented as required and therefore the fuel consumption is reduced.

Air to Liquid Intercooling

In the B58 engine the charge air intercooler has been integrated into the intake plenum (integrated, indirect charge air cooler - ILLK). The compressed air flows through the charge air intercooler in several plates, around which the coolant flows.
The benefits of integrated air to liquied intercooling include:
  • Lower charge air volume between compressor and intake valveMore even temperature distribution within the intake portsIncreased performance due to higher intake pressureImproved response characteristics due to the use of a smaller turbochargerReduction in consumption by modifying the ignition point and transmission ratio
Turbocharger

The exhaust turbocharger of the B58 engine is a twin-scroll turbocharger (6 in 2 exhaust manifold). To facilitate a fast and direct response, the exhaust flows from cylinders are merged and routed to the compressor via two separate channels. This principle is referred to as pulse turbocharging.

The exhaust manifold of the 3rd and 4th cylinder and the turbocharger housing form one single cast steel part which cannot be replaced individually. The exhaust manifolds of the 1st and 2nd cylinders and the 5th and 6th cylinders consist of multiple parts. They consist of stainless steel exhaust manifold pipes which have been formed by applying internal pressure and feature forged stainless steel flanges that are welded on as well as an expansion compensation unit made of a nickel and chrome alloy installed between the turbine housing and the exhaust manifold. The expansion compensation units compensate for material expansion and contraction as a result of both low and high temperatures between the turbine housing and the exhaust manifold and safeguard tension-free connections. The expansion compensation units are welded to the turbine housing and the exhaust manifold and cannot be replaced individually.

Blow-off valve
A blow-off valve is not used in current models. Pressure peaks, caused by sudden load shedding due to the inertia of the turbine of the exhaust turbocharger, can be avoided by careful tuning of the Digital Motor Electronics software. With foresighted charging pressure control, pressure peaks can be predicted and reduced by quick adjustment of the electrically-adjustable wastegate valve. Assisted by a delayed load control of the Valvetronic (in the minimum lift direction) or the throttle valve (in the closed direction), the remaining charge air which is produced can be routed to the exhaust emission system via the engine. This form of control thus prevents the exhaust turbocharger shaft from being exposed to excessive torsional stress due to high pressure peaks.

Wastegate
An electrically controlled wastegate valve controls the charging pressure control in the B58 engine."

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
This is all great information.  But do we know exactly which version of the B58 we're getting in the IG?  This is one of the questions I've put in with Ineos in their website chat help.  They didn't know, so they forwarded my question up.  I got a confirmation email that the ticket had been sent a little over a week ago now, and no answer from them yet.  I'm sure they know the answer to this question by now, but communication isn't there to answer.  Maybe it's complicated by whatever changes they make to the engine for the IG... who knows.  But please let me know if anybody knows with any real certainty which specific model number we're getting, as each model number comes with slightly different traits. 

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Ferrugenfish Would you make your order dependent on that?

Ferrugenfish

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=rovie userid=8990308 postid=1332952056]@Ferrugenfish Would you make your order dependent on that?[/QUOTE] 

That's a good point, and the answer for me specifically is "no"... especially since petrol is the only option in the United States where I live.  I just really want to know in terms of deciding to buy this first edition or not... that's where I am.  It won't be available to me for over a year so I have more time.  If it's the original B58, that's one more reason to wait for version II in X number of years. If it's the newest version it's one more reason to just go for it. It's a really expensive rig... not complaining... I'm just not rich so my hopes are to be very highly happy with my purchase as a first and last brand new vehicle purchase in my life. The learning curve of a brand new company is likely to have a fair degree of steamlining After the first version.  I'd like it if the already-discovered learning curve of the B58 engine was applied.... and if not, one more reason for me to wait for an overall IG update with all the initial purchaser's input. 

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@FerrugenfishIf everything goes as planned so far, the production month of my vehicle will be August or September this year. I have been talking about both months. Let's see when it will finally be delivered. Hopefully, you'll hear about our experiences soon. Then you can still decide.

Local time
Reaction score
Question about hose connections
A friend who has done a lot of work on these engines in BMW cautions that a number of the hoses have connections to radiator oil coolers, etc. that are plastic... and that those connections are fragile. Does anyone know if INEOS is upgrading the connectors to something more robust?

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Question about hose connections
A friend who has done a lot of work on these engines in BMW cautions that a number of the hoses have connections to radiator oil coolers, etc. that are plastic... and that those connections are fragile. Does anyone know if INEOS is upgrading the connectors to something more robust?
Unlikely.

The engine illustrated in the first post is not available to Ineos. The newer version has a number of differences - timing chain, fuel pump, turbo charger/exhaust manifold, cooling system, etc.

A still newer B58 is already beginning to show up in upper spec BMW vehicles.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A still newer B58 is already beginning to show up in upper spec BMW vehicles.
Would be nice if the 2024 NA truck gets the latest of the late B58.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
It's a much more complicated engine oriented toward upper end horsepower. The block has been further lightened. The cooling system appears to be a nightmare of valves and sensors that reroute cooling to different parts of the engine selectively. It uses 12 fuel injectors - 6 in the head and 6 in the intake manifold. It appears to be very tough to diagnose and work on. Etcetera.*

* This is from memory. I may be mistaken. There are accurate write-ups and videos available.

Last edited:

GKI

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share this information because IG uses B58 engine. I own a 2022 BMW M340I which it has B58 engine and these engines are well known and documented within BMW community to consume oil so please check your oil in your IG. So having a quart or two in your IG might be a good idea especially if you are going to go far somewhere, just incase. As a reference my m340i consumes approximately 1 qt of oil every 7000 miles. I hope this can be post in this forum.

MossyIG

Grenadier Owner
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
Is the question if the Grenadier comes with the original B58 or the B58TU? If so, I can confirm it comes with the B58TU.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the question if the Grenadier comes with the original B58 or the B58TU? If so, I can confirm it comes with the B58TU.
Does the IG use a BMW fuel pump?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does the IG use a BMW fuel pump?
Rail (HPFP) or tank (low pressure)?

I'm 99.9% sure the HPFP is the same as the rest of the B58TUs

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
So our version doesn't have the dual injection system?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So our version doesn't have the dual injection system?
Hi Norm-TX, I don't think we are getting the BMW B58TU2, which has both direct and port injection. Instead it appears we are getting the BMW B58TU, which only has direct injection. The engine in the Grenadier is a special de-tuned version for better off road performance and also to assist longevity. I have not been able to find it's exact designation. If somebody knows it, let us know. From everything I have read about the BMW B58 engines, they are extremely robust and able to handle much higher horsepower. Perhaps Grenadier will eventually move over to the TU2 version. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom