The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are all Eaton based E-lockers the same?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
I believe the E-locker in the Grenadier is from Eaton South Korea, is there any difference between this and the Harrop E-locker which is based on the Eaton? Is the Harrop just an Australian made version of exactly the same design or is it different / improved / better?

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I stand to be corrected but I think they are the same https://www.harrop.com.au/about-us/associated-companies
I'd speculate that you're correct! 😇 Same lockers with minor adaption.... Harrop possibly have a supply partner arrangement with Eaton to supply a range of lockers to specific models in Australia, ( in the manner that Ineos partnered with Tremec to produce a bespoke transfer case for the Grenadier). The "generic" Eaton lockers therefore being specifically matched to the models which Harrops support. I've never tried to buy e-lockers, but I'd be surprised if a direct approach to Eaton for a locker wasn't automatically re-directed to Harrops as their "Australian" partner/supplier. A quick search shows "Superior Engineering" advertising Eaton e-lockers... but they're branded "Eaton-Harrop"....

As an aside, the introductory cost of the "Rough Pack" on the Grenadier --tyres and F/R diff lockers... for A$2,850 is a huge discount on the indicative aftermarket cost of same using, say the Harrop alternative even if it was available.. At a minimum it would be around AUD $4,500- 5,000 for the diff lockers fitted, plus $1500 for (5) KO2 tyres ....!

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Wonder why they chose Eaton in the first place. In EU Eaton does not have a particularily good reputation for its automotive driveline components and clutches. Their auto gearboxes are utter rubbish, compared with Allison or ZF. Legendary is their split-gearbox from way back, which could only be hacked by the most experienced drivers with the strongest of left legs, with constant double-clutching to work through its countless gears..16 ?..

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wonder why they chose Eaton in the first place. In EU Eaton does not have a particularily good reputation for its automotive driveline components and clutches. Their auto gearboxes are utter rubbish, compared with Allison or ZF. Legendary is their split-gearbox from way back, which could only be hacked by the most experienced drivers with the strongest of left legs, with constant double-clutching to work through its countless gears..16 ?..
Where did they build that one in?

Local time
Reaction score
Where did they build that one in?

Lots of trucks in the US...less so in EU, but it could be specced with various manufacturers, MAN and FIAT/IVECO amongst others. There used to be a truck on the EU markets called FORD Transcontinental. That one had it as one of the selectable standard options, from what I recall without being an expert on trucks. Failed miserably that "Transconti" over here. Having said that, I know a fan of them, who ran a good few in his fleet and kept a brand new example in a shed. That was sold a coupe of months ago with 250kms on the clock, your man is no longer, god bless him.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect if you are using it as a working vehicle in environments that would require regular use of the lockers that Eaton and indeed e lockers in general wouldn’t be your first choice. For me they are going to be insurance policies for fairly rare occasions and I think they will be more than fine for me. My current vehicle has an Eaton Harrop e locker in the rear. When it’s locked in, it does what it’s supposed to do, but I will say it is sometimes finicky to get it to enagage and as I found out to my cost on one occasion you don’t want to wait until you are bogged in a mudhole before you try to engage it. The trick is that if you see terrain in front of you that may require it, lock them in before you get to it.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect if you are using it as a working vehicle in environments that would require regular use of the lockers that Eaton and indeed e lockers in general wouldn’t be your first choice. For me they are going to be insurance policies for fairly rare occasions and I think they will be more than fine for me. My current vehicle has an Eaton Harrop e locker in the rear. When it’s locked in, it does what it’s supposed to do, but I will say it is sometimes finicky to get it to enagage and as I found out to my cost on one occasion you don’t want to wait until you are bogged in a mudhole before you try to engage it. The trick is that if you see terrain in front of you that may require it, lock them in before you get to it.
I have to rethink my way of driving because of the E-Lockers.
Now I have torque sensitive True Trac automatic lockers (75%) which do the work absolut unnoticed.
Even with one wheel in the air they work fine as than the traction control brakes the spinning wheel and 75 % of the torque goes to the opposite wheel.
It’s a marvellous kind of driving!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had 2 jeep grand cherokees. the first still had correct electrically switchable locks. if you were on snow or in a gravel bed and switched on the locks, it really "clicked" and you just drove out. once pulled out a mercedes ML with electronic traction control. every wheel just turned a little bit alternately, the brakes smoked and he didn't get any further.
my jeep - standing on the same ground - pulled it out with a weary grin

Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
Almost all e-lockers can be ill-tempered, and at times, truly obstinate. Even if you try to engage them on flat ground with your wheels pointed straight. I think the e-lockers in the Power Wagon are the worst, followed by those in the Jeep Rubicon. The best e-lockers in the North American market - by far - are those in the Ford Bronco. They lock instantly.

I despise all electronically activated features in a off-road focused 4x4. The dial-controlled transfer cases are often as annoying as the e-lockers when you are trying to get into low-range.

In my opinion, the analogue solution is always the best: manually controlled transfer case using a lever (like that in the Grenadier), and manually activated lockers, also using a lever attached to a cable, which runs to the differential. There are not a lot on the market, but see this as an example:

A separate issue with the Eaton e-lockers in the Grenadier, is that they unlock briefly when you shift between forward and reverse (and vice-versa). This is not optimal, and may result in difficulty getting unstuck (if you are stuck). Air-lockers, like those from ARB, and the manual locker from Ox (mentioned above), do not disengage when shifting between forward and reverse, or vice-versa.

My personal preference: I would have been much happier if the Grenadier came with a Dana-style axle, for which there are numerous options for lockers (including Ox, ARB, and many more). Had the Grenadier come with a Dana axle, I would not spec it from the factory with e-lockers, I'd put in some Ox lockers myself, and have a more analog rig. I really hope that the aftermarket steps up to work with Carraro, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that. So I will - reluctantly - order the Grenadier with the Eaton lockers.

I've posted this link before, but here is a pretty good review of all the major types of lockers:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x40WGUtdaLI

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
As an aside, the introductory cost of the "Rough Pack" on the Grenadier --tyres and F/R diff lockers... for A$2,850 is a huge discount on the indicative aftermarket cost of same using, say the Harrop alternative even if it was available.. At a minimum it would be around AUD $4,500- 5,000 for the diff lockers fitted, plus $1500 for (5) KO2 tyres ....!
Not really an accurate tally. The Rough Pack is an "additional" cost. You're already paying for the Bridgestone Duelers as a standard item which you don't get to keep. Cost would be in the neighborhood of $1300-1500 USD. You're already paying for the open diffs (and any variation in halfshafts) which you also don't get to keep. Maybe $300 if the R&P are different plus side/spider gears. None of this is subtracted out at checkout.

It's a wash. There are no free lunches.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not really an accurate tally. The Rough Pack is an "additional" cost. You're already paying for the Bridgestone Duelers as a standard item which you don't get to keep. Cost would be in the neighborhood of $1300-1500 USD. You're already paying for the open diffs (and any variation in halfshafts) which you also don't get to keep. Maybe $300 if the R&P are different plus side/spider gears. None of this is subtracted out at checkout.

It's a wash. There are no free lunches.
The prices are for the change not in addition.
Have a look at a base wagon then add the K02 tyres and the difflocks.
Compare that to the rough pack price and you are paying about $200 for 5 K02 tyres.

Back
Top Bottom