The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

AluCab conversion

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
That looks mint.

Wouldn't be practical for me everyday, but damn that looks good

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
Yeah this is what makes the Grenadier that much more touring worthy. If you want to see a walk around of the SWB pop up camper prototype from AluCab here it is

https://youtu.be/MAwha2lKNkk

I asked Alu Cab in that video how much it’d weight just for the pop top. They quoted 130 kgs or 287 lbs. That’s a bit portly IMHO especially that weight high up. But the usability goes up several fold. 
? this happens

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Paachi said:
Yeah this is what makes the Grenadier that much more touring worthy. If you want to see a walk around of the SWB pop up camper prototype from AluCab here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAwha2lKNkk

I asked Alu Cab in that video how much it’d weight just for the pop top. They quoted 130 kgs or 287 lbs. That’s a bit portly IMHO especially that weight high up. But the usability goes up several fold.  
1f91e.png
this happens

But how much weight would you take off by removing the stock roof. I don't think that'd be that much more than a roof rack and rtt combo once you minus the stock roof

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
When talking to then during IAA in Munich, they told me that the roof is essential part of the structural frame unlike the old defender. Chopping it off might include a lot more work than expected. 

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
That is indeed true.  AluCab has mentioned they are talking directly with the Ineos engineers to work out how to do a conversion. It gives me hope that AluCab is not just doing it on their own, but working with Ineos. 

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this a lot.  Couldn't they just cut a hole in the back that avoids any cross support.   It would be similar to a sun roof opening in the back.   Then you drop your alucab on top and you have portion to stand up.

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
There are so many cross supports in the roof, you'd be crawling throw a small hatch.  Not terrible, but not as ideal as the livability of Troopy conversion.

Ursa does that for the JL, and when you have two people it is horrible.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I still hold that using the front safari panels is the way to go. Maybe enlarging the openings until they meet the longitudinal structural support. 
That is making some pretty broad assumptions though. Either way I hope they make access from the interior possible. It would be a great option but no deal breaker. 

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I guess you're thinking it could then hinge toward the back instead. The only part that sucks about that is you'd have to stand on your driver seat to get in and you wouldn't have  the stand up room in the back. If it lifted toward the front like above you'd then have a very small space to crawl up in and still would not get the sitting space in the back.

We'll just have to see what Alu Cab comes up with speaking to the engineers. It looks fantastic.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
A lot of weight to carry around 365 days a year very high up on your vehicle. OK if this is not your daily driver I guess. 

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Beowulf userid=8894905 postid=1332001946]That is indeed true.  AluCab has mentioned they are talking directly with the Ineos engineers to work out how to do a conversion. It gives me hope that AluCab is not just doing it on their own, but working with Ineos. [/QUOTE]
In one of the "independent" Sth African IG prototype tour videos there's a hint that Ineos were possibly making  prototypes  available, once the engineering testing had been completed to various prominent aftermarket firms for a period to assist  development of aftermarket products (Alucab, ARB etc) rather than ship the prototypes back to wherever ...(Hambach?)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
> (Hambach?)
MoMA.

A

Andy

How would this impact your roof switch panel, you would probably have to relocate it.

Back
Top Bottom