The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel AdBlue

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
I have seen a few people say they have had to top up at relatively low kms. I checked my level and it said 60% needs 7 litres. So I put exactly 7 litres in and it said 100% so firstly good to know that the guage is accurate.
But I have only done about 1400kms so I would hope that it isn’t using 7 litres every 1400 kms that would mean you need to fill up every 4000kms or so which is well above normal. My strong suspicion is that they do a short fill at the factory or PDI. Time will tell, will keep
And eye on it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
I have seen a few people say they have had to top up at relatively low kms. I checked my level and it said 60% needs 7 litres. So I put exactly 7 litres in and it said 100% so firstly good to know that the guage is accurate.
But I have only done about 1400kms so I would hope that it isn’t using 7 litres every 1400 kms that would mean you need to fill up every 4000kms or so which is well above normal. My strong suspicion is that they do a short fill at the factory or PDI. Time will tell, will keep
And eye on it.
Hi @AnD3rew The first time I refilled at 2500km 4 liters and yesterday at 7000km 5.8 liters AdBlue. According to the display, 1 liter would now still be missing. I am also in the process of keeping statistics.

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
And eye on it.
I agree.I have had two recent reports of exactly your story both saying they have done 5000 k and need adblue. One of those was the newest John Canny video, another a post on NZ facebook page

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is reporting 3000km more before top up which would only make 6000km total for the tank. Not what I was expecting since the G-Wagen gets 10,000-12,000km per fill for roughly the same size engine & tank. I’m suspecting this is another issue requiring the software update like the fictional fuel level readings.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
I only top up the Adblue as and when the Gren display screen puts up a message to do so - my consumption figures to date are detailed below:
1696241232300.png

1696241506256.png

AdBlue consumption is broadly in line with my expectations.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree.I have had two recent reports of exactly your story both saying they have done 5000 k and need adblue. One of those was the newest John Canny video, another a post on NZ facebook page
Yes just saw the John Canny one and his consumption seems roughly what I was fearing but didn’t really believe was accurate. I wonder if itbis calibrated wrongly and using more than it should. On the other hand maybe it is right and thats why it needed such big AdBlue tanks.
View: https://youtu.be/GfsX9Qs0xEg?si=tjbWzy2YweTO4Kv0

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW: shortly after I collected the vehicle with 25km on the odo, I tried the AdBlue level and it indicated it required "6.something" L to full. So I assumed that the factory fill was approx. 10L .
Late August-early September I did a 5,500km return trip Brisbane to Tasmania...included 1700km around Tasmania...
Most of the east coast travel Brisbane to/from Melbourne (3,800km ) was highway cruising at 100-105kmh. Tasmania 90-95kmh except for the west coast where there were a lot of narrow back roads in quite hilly terrain.
On a hunch at approximately 4,400km I checked the Ad Blue again... it indicated a bit over 10L to fill. So on that basis it was using approx. 1.1L/1000km. However at the pump it took 11.1L for the pump to cut off. So given the approx. accuracy of the Ad Blue gauge ...with a relatively light throttle input the consumption is about 1L/1000km.
If I was towing a van or doing a lot of beach /trail work with low gear/ heavier throttle input I'd expect the AdBlue to increase accordingly... e.g. if the fuel consumption increased, say, by 50% I'd expect the AdBlue to increase by at least that much, or even double the "light throttle" consumption.

StevieG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
And eye on it.
The interesting thing is that the Grenadiers issued in South Africa do not require Ad Blue. There is no reservoir for AdBlue nor can one see the level in the vehicle screen. It would be good to use the space for an extra 17 litres of fuel.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Only the diesel requires it; if your truck runs on petrol it will not have the tank.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And eye on it.
Mine was delivered with only half a tank of add blue, so suspect yours was the same.

pete54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have never had a vehicle needing AdBlue before (still waiting for the one that will) but was chatting to the garage when picking up my wife’s car after a service (VW - does need AdBlue but she’s not had to top it up yet). The chap said that you should only put the manufactures recommended brand/s in as others (especially those picked up at petrol stations) can cause all sorts of problems. Is this a thing? This is a private garage so wouldn’t expect the hard sell as from a dealership.

I thought it was basically pig’s pee so hadn’t considered needing anything special!

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I read (or dreamt) somewhere that AdBlue consumption is higher on longer high speed journeys as opposed to shorter, round town or slower trips.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
The interesting thing is that the Grenadiers issued in South Africa do not require Ad Blue. There is no reservoir for AdBlue nor can one see the level in the vehicle screen. It would be good to use the space for an extra 17 litres of fuel.

Only the diesel requires it; if your truck runs on petrol it will not have the tank.

Also - I think this is true of the New Defender too as I have some foggy memories of that from when Kingsley Holgate was given a couple of them. From what I understand, the South African models I think don't have it as it's not required in the country's regulations and I think the lack of emissions control systems mean they can run on higher sulphur diesel which works in that market as it varies quite a bit.

Meanwhile I'll just keep reading this thread through my tears as I weep over only being able to get the petrol version in North America :D

Edit: And before we end up off topic (Not that we ever do that here :D) and turn this into a "gas vs diesel" (which exists elsewhere on the forum), I will say that Gas is just fine, I just like the rattle rumble of the diesel and appreciate the energy density for range/weight ratio for range per litre. A BMW X5 with the diesel, same motor as the Gren, pulled up next to me at Costco the other day and it sounded good. Like, instant head turn, smile, and nod in support good. Not many cars make me do that these days!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just topped up ad-blue which admit ran to 800km remaining. It took in 10.2L to full. How does this compare to others? I thought the ad tank was 17L?

Back
Top Bottom