The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

A step for grandma

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
Though grandma (my mother in law) is 92 yrs old she is still a commander of prussian discipline. ;-)

But she is weak like most people in this age. However, she will want to drive in the Grenadier, not only because of the great all-round vision but as well because she likes big (and safe) cars and is proud of her "good son" to own such a car ;-).

She is however definitely not able to make a 50 cm (or more) step upwards. Even the optional Grenadier steps won't help with 40 cm (I guess) of height.

Does anybody know an existing solution such as a foldable step with a lower height - which does not reduce ground clearance if folded up? This would even help to convince my wife of the Grenadier ...

Red pepper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
emax said:
Does anybody know an existing solution such as a foldable step with a lower height - which does not reduce ground clearance if folded up? This would even help to convince my wife of the Grenadier ...

Something like this?

https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/products/electric-running-boards-for-mercedes-g-wagen-w463

https://marsperformance.com.au/Black-electric-side-steps-Mercedes-Benz-G-Class-W464-including-G63-AMG

Plenty of different options on the internet..... 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Well,  the G-Wagon premium yields $3700. This  not exactly a bargain. But the concept is interesting. Thank you.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
There is a company called Rock side engineering that makes rock sliders that also deploy as steps for Jeeps

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/rock-slide-engineering-step-sliders/11549?ecmp=p:google_219701836_4661033356__dsa-27927708436&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3v6SBhCsARIsACyrRAm5J3_QDp9k4DH4eeCMu_eImwxJNC-UYdjyKQCYPc4nBm0kp5hp2xwaAi8GEALw_wcB

Maybe if the demand is there they might make one for the Grenadier. I am not convinced that they are as robust as dedicated rock sliders but seem like a good compromise 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Sadly, *.de domains are blocked by this site. I will try later with tor. Thank you anyway!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, works.

The site is terribly slow and the design is awful. But the product looks interesting. I will bookmark this and if I don't find alternatives I'll  ask what they can do - in which price range. For sure clearly over $2000 ...

Thank you!

3DDiY

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
The Best thing you can do is make a box for her with sandpaper grip on the top and bottom. Make the box with dovetails and out of some exotic hardwood like Purple Heart. You just put it in front for her to step in and out of. I'm sure she would love her gentleman son opening and closing the door for her every time she gets in and out of the car. This way you won't have any ground clearance issues. And you'll forever be in her good graces for being so thoughtful. As a bonus you can rig some mounting holds for it to be connected to the utility belt outside her door. So its ready for her when she gets back out. Keep it in the back when shes not with you. My mother in law is also old and thought of this. She always gets shot gun too. 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, this was my idea as well, no problem to help her.

BUT: I know, when we, my wife and me will see the Grenadier in flesh and she wants to step in, she will complain about the height. I would help her as well, of course. But this isn't a solution for real life because if I am not there she would need a ready box to get in the car and one at the destination already waiting for her.  ?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Though grandma (my mother in law) is 92 yrs old she is still a commander of prussian discipline. ;-)

But she is weak like most people in this age. However, she will want to drive in the Grenadier, not only because of the great all-round vision but as well because she likes big (and safe) cars and is proud of her "good son" to own such a car ;-).

She is however definitely not able to make a 50 cm (or more) step upwards. Even the optional Grenadier steps won't help with 40 cm (I guess) of height.

I used to carry this small 25cm high step stool in the back of my Mazda BT50 when I had to carry me relatives who are in their 80's. It is very solid and stable. It worked well and cost about $20

Attachments

• IMG_6030.jpg
    IMG_6030.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6031.jpg
    IMG_6031.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • BT502.jpg
    BT502.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 24

Deleted User Account.

Reservation Holder
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I keep an ikea bekvam step ladder in my truck bed. It would make climbing in for a senior very easy and safe. For my uses, it makes climbing into the bed easy, can use it as a chair or table while camping, and use it on top of my tailgate to climb easily onto the camper shell roof rack. Takes up less space than you'd think since you can just flip it and nest stuff in it.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I keep an ikea bekvam step ladder in my truck bed. It would make climbing in for a senior very easy and safe. For my uses, it makes climbing into the bed easy, can use it as a chair or table while camping, and use it on top of my tailgate to climb easily onto the camper shell roof rack. Takes up less space than you'd think since you can just flip it and nest stuff in it.
Sounds like the one and only multipurpose step ladder!
(y)

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score

They exist - cheap... outbackequipment.com.au - I use one, we have a VW Caravelle Minibus... These steps will suit Babushka... folds to nothing and ... bonus - a handy seat as well when boiling a billy!

Attachments

• OUTBACK EQUIPMENT.com.au.png
    OUTBACK EQUIPMENT.com.au.png
    263.9 KB · Views: 15

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, we have two such steps.

Ok for a passenger (as the driver can then pack it into the trunk).

Back
Top Bottom