The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

$910 for a KEY ???

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
There’s no way that key should cost that much. I hope that’s not representative of replacement parts costs on the whole for this truck.
I think Grenadier owners are going to be in for a real shock!

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to know how much could Ineos charge for a key before people would reconsider the purchase???

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I would like to know how much could Ineos charge for a key before people would reconsider the purchase???
That's not much when compared to the 2 headlights I just had replaced on my new 2020 Defender because the daytime
LED running light portion of the headlight assembly burned out.
Are you ready for this....$4,200 Each!
Thank god it was under warranty. There is a work around on this if it happens to you.
When the first one went out, everyone was pointing at me when I was driving around town during the daytime telling
me one of my headlights was out, when in fact it was just the LED daylight running portion of the headlight assembly
that was not working. I just should have waited for the second one to to out, (which it did later), and then no one would have
noticed that just one was out. I don't think daytime running lights are mandated by law yet, however just wait, someone
will mandate it eventually. Progress.....I don't think so......
Perhaps manufactures will simply have a separate LED strip that is replaceable in the future so it could easily be replaced
instead of the whole headlight assembly....and then again why would they if they can charge you $4,200 each.
DaBull

AWo

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
These modern light systems can mean the total economic loss of a car (as well as all the other parts which are full of stuff, like doors, lids etc) when they get damaged and the car is a few years old. The price for all the bling bling stuff many car buyers like so much...

AWo

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Key on the left is worth its weight in gold...I have posted this idea before but with a little more fine-tuning, by simply filling the edges and rounding off the entry taper on both sides of the key...it is as smooth as silk (y)

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpg
    IMG_6768.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
Well, I would submit that the admins should probably close this thread as we have ascertained that no one has actually ever lost a key. 😜🤣. I can’t wait to tell my wife this news.

My Lexus LX470 left me stranded one time in 23 years of ownership. It would not start. I had it towed to a Toyota dealership. They called within 30 minutes to come pick it up. I asked how they fixed it so fast. They said the key had worn out. They made a new key. I believe it was in the $300-$400 range.
My Ford Territory wouldn't start once when I was living in Perth.
I went to the bank and all good, when I came out I was talking on my mobile, unlocked my car as I walked up, got in the driver's seat and inserted the key.
Nothing at all, completely dead.
Then the woman in the backseat started screaming.
I had gotten into the Ford Territory that was parked next to mine.
Her husband came running from the shops ..............eventually we all laughed.

Local time
Reaction score
Don't purchase a Land Rover Range Rover Velar if it is out of warranty then, the headlight unit (a complete sealed unit as well as the new Defender) is around AUD$8200.00, each!! No wonder when a RR suffers a relatively minor front end collision they are deemed an economic wright off if 2 headlight units are over $16k let alone the cost of a new bonnet, grill, front bumper etc.

DrahthHunter

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Dealer just quoted me $910 for a replacement key. I randomly picked a couple of items to see how pricing would be. They quoted $2,000 for a set of steel wheels (for my winter studs) and $910 for a new key. I think they're trying to talk me out of my order.
do you have AAA lost key its covered call AAA BUT they may not have access to the blank

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
This was never about keys - but rather the outrageous pricing. Maybe I should have "randomly selected" a passenger side mirror or a tail light. Was just trying to get a sampling of pricing.
I think most people understand if it were only the key that is going to be ridiculously priced it would not be a complete deal breaker (I do not think I have ever lost my car keys in 50 years). The point is if you like to keep your car for more than 5 years at some point spare parts will be needed but at what price, will you be able to keep your Grenadier economically on the road or will the second hand market run from it like so many other used European brands due to high repair cost?

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
That's not much when compared to the 2 headlights I just had replaced on my new 2020 Defender because the daytime
LED running light portion of the headlight assembly burned out.
Are you ready for this....$4,200 Each!
Thank god it was under warranty. There is a work around on this if it happens to you.
When the first one went out, everyone was pointing at me when I was driving around town during the daytime telling
me one of my headlights was out, when in fact it was just the LED daylight running portion of the headlight assembly
that was not working. I just should have waited for the second one to to out, (which it did later), and then no one would have
noticed that just one was out. I don't think daytime running lights are mandated by law yet, however just wait, someone
will mandate it eventually. Progress.....I don't think so......
Perhaps manufactures will simply have a separate LED strip that is replaceable in the future so it could easily be replaced
instead of the whole headlight assembly....and then again why would they if they can charge you $4,200 each.
DaBull
I am afraid to ask how much the head lights are on the Grenadier!

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe common knowledge, and I apologize if it is, but do you only get one key vs two like most vehicles?

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, may I remind you that the spare parts for the only real defender cost nearly nothing compared to the prices for the so called New Defender and the Granadier. And furthermore you can get the old defenders repaired in most parts of the Western World! If there are no spare parts available, the broken parts can often be easily repaired.
A head lamp for my Defender, my 2015, costs less than 40 Euros, a whole set of locks with keys maybe 50 Euros, of course not from Land Rover, but the same quality!
Sadly is seems to be a very long and expensive way to solve most of the problems! We have to thank the now Grenadier owners very much, that they endure all the problems!
On the other hand, it`s great to see, that most of the Grenadier owners love their cars and have much fun with them!

carlg007

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Hi guys, may I remind you that the spare parts for the only real defender cost nearly nothing compared to the prices for the so called New Defender and the Granadier. And furthermore you can get the old defenders repaired in most parts of the Western World! If there are no spare parts available, the broken parts can often be easily repaired.
A head lamp for my Defender, my 2015, costs less than 40 Euros, a whole set of locks with keys maybe 50 Euros, of course not from Land Rover, but the same quality!
Sadly is seems to be a very long and expensive way to solve most of the problems! We have to thank the now Grenadier owners very much, that they endure all the problems!
On the other hand, it`s great to see, that most of the Grenadier owners love their cars and have much fun with them!
I true new Defender/Grenadier would have used the same philosophy with replacement parts making as many parts easily replaced at a very economical price! Sadly this does not seem to be the case!!!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Regarding keys, I was given 2 when purchasing my 96 Discovery new. Finally wore the buttons out on one after 20 yrs ... moved on to the 2nd ;) (batteries replaced once).

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Key on the left is worth its weight in gold...I have posted this idea before but with a little more fine-tuning, by simply filling the edges and rounding off the entry taper on both sides of the key...it is as smooth as silk (y)
Did you save the filings! That's money!

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Look around on forums for other vehicles. Dealership replacement keys are not cheap. I just had a quick poke around and saw estimates of $900 for an X5 and $1300 for a recent Disco.
Yea but my Disco senses where the key is so the FOB has to be specific for that Vin#. Here you can just take the key and get duplicates made. Which I like. Not sure about the door lock and unlock but honestly in the past with an old Ford you could get programable key fobs to use. I bet you can do the same here.

Back
Top Bottom