The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3350 mile trip in my Grenadier

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
~13L in the tank at "0 miles to empty" isn't that outlandish. In the Toyota truck/SUV world, it is a bit higher than that (at least for the 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia). I can't speak to the reasoning for Ineos' "reserve" amount, but for Toyotas it is specifically to cool the in-tank fuel pump; combined with ensuring the average person doesn't run out of fuel when they decide to "push it a bit further"
Thanks, I understand the Toyota reason, maybe on a software update they can tweak it a tad!

Reactions: PBD

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I already mentioned this in another thread too, I agree completely. I handed my car over to my dealer in Belgium, hoping that they solve some of my problems with "red petrol warning". I guess they still can drive about 100 km with it.
I got a Mercedes replacement car 😭

I dared to drive sometimes a long time with zero fuel.
  • The first time at handover I drove like 41 km with "empty tank", still some 3 marks visible, and filled 86.06 l of Petrol.
  • The other "Guinness book record" was 589 km, still one mark visible and 87.27 l of Petrol filled.
I always let the "petrol pistol" (or how is this called?) disconnect automatically without adding no fuel at all.

Therefore yes, I would like them to reprogram the software, I don't like these TOOO early warnings, my wife get's nervous about it!
Another tweak to be added to the next software update…. I can live with it but would prefer greater accuracy, modern vehicles are generally pretty good on this these days. Thanks

Reactions: PBD

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Or this one, my picture, @ Daly Waters pub (2011):

View attachment 7818875

@DaveB : In Australia the fuel warning should always stay in red, even with a full tank :devilish: , I agree.
A few years ago I pulled in for fuel in a Subaru with 4kms range showing.
The servo guy told me they ran out of Unleaded 2 days ago and the delivery isn't coming for another 4 days.
12kms to the next servo but I made it.

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's for that reason I never let my vehicles drop below 1/4 full. Although location comes into the equation filling stations are few and far between on some journeys. ( In UK terms not OZ)
Eric, that’s really my point, with a more accurate warning system, 1/4 full can be achieved!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Orange and then Red low fuel warnings are set quite high, I drove for 16 miles after the "miles remaining (or whatever the wording is)" ceased to show any miles, then filled up and the tank took 76.67 litres, so there were still 13.33 litres left in the tank, maybe another 52 miles before the fuel runs out - should these levels be set lower?
Maybe a function of the tank shape? It's floor has a relatively high surface area compared to other fuel tanks I've had, so minimum volume is also high.

Is it baffled? What features ensure fuel pickup at extreme off road angles with minimum fuel onboard?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
So last night we finally rolled in from our 2 week trip through Europe. We passed through 9 countries, staying in 7 of them for at least one night.

The Grenadier performed fantastically. It was equipped with some eBay thule roof bars, an ARB roof top tent, my 33"muds, and all our camping gear.

We did the famous Theth loop in albania, as well as some other smaller little tracks here and there, but were mostly on road for the rest of the time. Unfortunately weather wasn't on our side, and we bore witness to some amazing storms, but a great time was had none the less. We found some great campsites, and met some brilliant people along the way.

As for the car, I'm very pleased with it. We got so many questions about it, loads of compliments, and one Italian guy in Naples who said it was ugly 🤣

It ran flawlessly for the whole trip, besides the odd screen warning glitch that we've all become used to. 6 hours of hard offroad track didn't create a single rattle. We hit the rear skid plate on one particularly rocky water crossing, denting it slightly (doing its job!)

The transfer case changed from H to L to Locked with ease. Never had a chance to try out the F/R lockers as they were never needed (though I've tested them before with no issues)

Mpg wasn't great at highway speeds, but much of this was wind resistance and the tent. It seems to me the grenadier is geared very low, and for this reason almost needs a 9th gear to drop rpms when at 70mph. At 50mph on coastal roads, we achieved 27mpg even with the tent on, so I think the aero (or lack thereof) really comes into play above 60

Overall we averaged 23mpg on the entire trip, so I can live with that for the performance it gives

I ran the fridge off the dual battery, which worked a treat. I have a 50l dometic CFX3, and we left it for 2 days in 30° heat, and the battery dropped to 70%

All in all great trip, and great vehicle. For those on Imstagram, I'm @grenadier.adventure and have lots of pictures, but will try get some on here as well.
Yep, We followed you on Instagram. :) Not much Grenadier owners on Instagram at the moment. So it's an easy pick.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
It's for that reason I never let my vehicles drop below 1/4 full. Although location comes into the equation filling stations are few and far between on some journeys. ( In UK terms not OZ)
I got stuck thinking there was fuel where there wasn’t in western NSW on a recent trip. I should have filled earlier but didn’t for some reason - laziness or not wanting to stop probably.
I managed to do 90km after the low fuel signal came on before the next service station. I must admit I was a bit easier on the excelerator than I would normally be. 😂

Back
Top Bottom