The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

270 Awnings, which one?

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:56 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm plannings a trip to Cape York in August, would like to put an awning on for sunny afternoon drinks or a bit of protection from rain for overnights in swags.
I haven't had an awning before, but I like the look of 270's
I have the three Rhino rack bars from Ineos.
Clevershade 270 gets a mention (TheDocAUS)
Electrical work done at XHQ on the Gold Coast (AU) (plus a Clevershade Awning). XHQ definitely know what they are doing, first class work.

but it's pricey,, does anyone have any others they recommend? Michael, are you happy?
Thanks
Pedro

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wanted an awning without poles. The CLEVERSHADE 270 was the best option for me. I had a Foxwing on the Patrol which I rarely used because of the poles.

The CLEVERSHADE 270 is light, built to a high standard, durable, uses no ropes, Australian made and easy to use. Downside is you must pay for it. I have not used it yet but was using one yesterday at XHQ, to learn how to set it up and pack it up.

A simpler solution is just a single awning out one side. Easy to set up, lots of choices and does not cost the earth, like a BushWakka Extreme 180.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We have a Darche 270. Love it!
Rated to 30km/hr freestanding, or add poles for cyclonic conditions.
Setup in less than a minute

Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:56 AM
Reaction score
That looks great I have to say.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Siseb, what's the dimension of your Clevershade 270, 3.6m or 4.0m?
CLEVERSHADE says the 4m version is the best fit for the Grenadier.

Reactions: IGL

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone the 3.60m Clevershade? They have only a 2m-Package which seems to be a nice fit to a 3/4 Rhino-Rack.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
This is tough. Family use I want to use a 270 wing... durability is key and must be side wall optionable. What experience are people having lately with their 270s and any solid "real life" recommendations. I still come from the days of tarps, poles and pegs!

PS: also, not wanting to pay $3000+ for a wing!!!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the Australasian third party suppliers thread here:
AWNINGS
It appears most awnings can be fitted to rooftop bars and the pioneer platform, but check before you buy.
  1. INEOS offer the Bat Wing Side Awning as an option;
  2. Bukkwakka Awnings, I have not seen on fitted to as Grenadier yet;
  3. Clevershade Awning. The most suitable for the Grenadier is the 270 degree 4.0m model. The one I own and use;
  4. BOSS Aluminum 270 Awning;
  5. DESTINATION4WD D180 and D270;
  6. Darche Awning, recommendation here; and
  7. The Bush Company Awning, see it on a Grenadier here.
Clevershade is out because of cost, and I think only one or 2 offer walls. But the links make it easy to start looking. Darche my be a good place to start. Maybe also the D270, but the awning and wall bundle is over $3000. The Bush Company also offers wall kits.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is tough. Family use I want to use a 270 wing... durability is key and must be side wall optionable. What experience are people having lately with their 270s and any solid "real life" recommendations. I still come from the days of tarps, poles and pegs!

I use the Big Country Ostrich Wing awning. It’s tough, durable and strong enough that I do pull ups from it at the hinge end but relatively heavy as is the Bush company awning.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

We have the Darche 270 with awning walls and clear panels. Strong , easy , great setup!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks all. It's hard to press through expert reviews when it's all monetised via links to pricing! Best to ask people who is the gear and are not making cash from it! DARCHE is almost affordable and to be honest I'm looking at a few 2nd hand ones that are effectively as new... half of retail.

singlefin

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
Had an Alucab Shadow 270 for a few years without issue. Worth considering and bit cheaper than Clevershade.

Back
Top Bottom