The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2” hitch receiver installation

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
I just picked up my Grenadier this week. I did not order the towing package - I’m not looking to tow, but I do need to get a standard receiver installed for a 2” Thule 2-bike rack (it releases and pivots down and out of the way, and I HOPE will clear the spare wheel when in the up position). My dealer says they can’t find that part in the Grenadier catalogue (just a standard receiver sleeve on a base plate). I can see exactly where it would need to be installed. Anyone have any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_4494.png
    IMG_4494.png
    586.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4493.png
    IMG_4493.png
    872.4 KB · Views: 17

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations?
The part number you're looking for is EI-0000009968, should be able to be ordered through any dealer. I don't have the part number for the bolts though

H/T to Mopar for posting photos of the hitch assembly with part number

Local time
Reaction score
Here’s a cad file of a hitch that could be taken to a shop with a CNC and have it made should be pretty easy to get made. You need a cad program to open it. I didn’t design it Leitner posted it on Facebook. It follows the factory one pretty closely..

Attachments

• Ineos Hitch.zip
    742.3 KB · Views: 15

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can tell you that my kuat bike rack does not clear the rear wheel. I tried it for the first time last weekend when I was going for a ride with my son.

I cannot fold it up on the back of the grenadier and it does not fit 2 bikes when lowered, only 1. I suspect these racks are very similar dimensions.

Had to revert to our model X for carrying 2 bikes in tow 😳

Attachments

• IMG_1089.png
    IMG_1089.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 15

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
Would a 2 Inch receiver Hitch Extender make it work? I have a One Up 2 Bike hitch rack, so wondering if I will run into the same issue. 1Up offers something similar as well as a swing out arm that looks interesting.
1710476980316.png

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can tell you that my kuat bike rack does not clear the rear wheel. I tried it for the first time last weekend when I was going for a ride with my son.

I cannot fold it up on the back of the grenadier and it does not fit 2 bikes when lowered, only 1. I suspect these racks are very similar dimensions.

Had to revert to our model X for carrying 2 bikes in tow 😳
I just bought a hitch extender - once i get the hitch installed, i think that will work

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Would a 2 Inch receiver Hitch Extender make it work? I have a One Up 2 Bike hitch rack, so wondering if I will run into the same issue. 1Up offers something similar as well as a swing out arm that looks interesting.
View attachment 7848231
Sad news: just got my truck back from hitch install. 1up rack in single bike mode “fits” in storage position, but is too tight to the truck to extend the arms. Some creative installation gets the arms open, but then there is interference either between MTB forks or pedals depending on bike orientation. Hitch extender is going to be mandatory.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
Sad news: just got my truck back from hitch install. 1up rack in single bike mode “fits” in storage position, but is too tight to the truck to extend the arms. Some creative installation gets the arms open, but then there is interference either between MTB forks or pedals depending on bike orientation. Hitch extender is going to be mandatory.
Check their website, they have some interesting options as well as a swing away mount that looks interesting

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Uff da - bummer. I’ve got the Thule x2 pro 2-bike rack, and bought the Rockymounts 8” extender w lock - I’m REALLY hoping that works once I get the hitch plate installed

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4536.jpg
    IMG_4536.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 15

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check their website, they have some interesting options as well as a swing away mount that looks interesting
Yeah, I snagged their extender, which is no better than anyone else’s from what I can tell. Can’t wait to see how much it interferes with the camera and parking sensors.

thuchton

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7848231
I have several bike racks from numerous companies. I bought a hitch extended like you showed here. Works great and I now have clearance for the back wheel while my rack is folded up.
I plan on actually cutting the extender tube down around 3 " this week. By doing that it will allow all the clearance for the wheel but bring it closer to the vehicle when in its lowered position with the bikes riding on it.
I am also looking at the Rigd Ramble Swing so that I can pivot the bike rack, fully loaded even, out of the way. My guess is with this I will no longer need the extension tube.

Mountains4Fun

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s a cad file of a hitch that could be taken to a shop with a CNC and have it made should be pretty easy to get made. You need a cad program to open it. I didn’t design it Leitner posted it on Facebook. It follows the factory one pretty closely..
Thank you for posting this Mopar! I'll be taking a run at this project. Any word on the required bolts specs?

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Prettiest bike I have seen on a forum in a very long time. Only two problems, a Flite would look so much better (plus those Avocet simply don't fit my butt) and most of those Kooka cranks broke decades ago. Sooooo nice though. Lets see some more pics.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Prettiest bike I have seen on a forum in a very long time. Only two problems, a Flite would look so much better (plus those Avocet simply don't fit my butt) and most of those Kooka cranks broke decades ago. Sooooo nice though. Lets see some more pics.
That was a rare outing on my ‘89 Wicked Fat Chance. The original Cooks Bros drive side crank arm cracked around ‘92, so I installed the Kooka’s. They were the “DH” version which was substantially reinforced at the failure points.

I'll get pics with a modern bike. The amazing feature is the rack trays sit almost level with the top of the Gren wheels.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The modern bike won't be as pretty. Here is a pic of my new ride, have 6 or 7 rides on it now. Fast as hell. Some nice lineage linking back to your Wicked, at least some of the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_5327.jpeg
    IMG_5327.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom