The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas 1st Drive (Thank you Knauz Auto!). Overblown and

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Just got back from 1st "hands on" drive of the Trial Master.
With regard to the vehicle, first impression was almost immediate upon opening the doors. "Fit" and was very precise. Doors opened and closed easily, not needing "too much" (subjective) force to open/close. The driving position was very close to optimal, where I could see both front corners and rear via mirrors with little to no 'neck cranking'. I'm a "shorty" so after a quick adjustment of the seat and being acquainted with the BMW Zed F transmission we were ready to go.
Right off the bat, I noticed the steering was smmmmmoooottthhhhhhhh. All this fussing about how awkward/confounding/<insert adjective> the Grenadier's recirculating ball (vs rack and pinion) is. I found the hydraulic assist to be fine. Sure, the turns were not as tight as many/most passenger cars nor could you simply go hands off (not SHOULD one imho), however I had no issue with a series of hard left/right turns as we left the dealership. By the way, the staff at the Knuaz Ineos (Billy and Julie) were very nice and accommodating given the "show room" was still waiting for the furniture to show up.!

Upon getting up to traffic speed (approx 55-60mph), my next big "impression" I am left with is how quiet the Grenadier was. I could easily hear Julie as she explained the Auto/Stop On/Off, the Cruise Control and pointed out to the wife that there were NO mirrors on the visors. This was surprising to me(no, not the lack of mirrors!), in part due to the KO2s on the Trial Master. I would understand that the Field Master and it's 18" Allows with All Terrains would be "quiet" in comparison, however I was truly blown away how comfy and quiet the cabin felt. Sure the "lack" of storage or cubbies may annoy some, I personally liked not having pockets for all kinds of #$% to get stuffed in at some point later.

All in, was close to probably an hour (50ish min) with the folks @ Knauz. Eagerly anticipating a (hopefully) Joyful (and early) Christmas.
Now just got to find a very large Red Bow for The Day!!

Local time
Reaction score
Hi @flynnsk, how long is the test? If you want to do a longer one would the dealer accommodate? Were you able to take it to hwy speeds (70-80 mph). I plan to schedule my test with these guys in Chicago buts it’s 4 hr drive for me to get there.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @flynnsk, how long is the test? If you want to do a longer one would the dealer accommodate? Were you able to take it to hwy speeds (70-80 mph). I plan to schedule my test with these guys in Chicago buts it’s 4 hr drive for me to get there.
We got an early AM appointment on a Saturday, so was no one really lined up for "next" so they would have let us go longer. Got it up to 55 MPH from a stop (making a right turn onto 41) and for the size, it wasn't a slouch by any means. I didnt "floor" it, gave it about 1/3rd throttle and progressed until hit the Speed Limit (55). All in all, was a LOT quieter than was expecting with the Ko2s. I imagine the Fieldmaster on duelers might be a wee bit quieter.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
My local dealer is reserving 90 minute test drives And they drove with you.

flynnsk

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My local dealer is reserving 90 minute test drives And they drove with you.
Yes, they are required to accompany all (non-dealer) drivers as the vehicles are not "production models" (ie, liability).

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
We got an early AM appointment on a Saturday, so was no one really lined up for "next" so they would have let us go longer. Got it up to 55 MPH from a stop (making a right turn onto 41) and for the size, it wasn't a slouch by any means. I didnt "floor" it, gave it about 1/3rd throttle and progressed until hit the Speed Limit (55). All in all, was a LOT quieter than was expecting with the Ko2s. I imagine the Fieldmaster on duelers might be a wee bit quieter.
The duelers are nice, and I think under-rated, but as you noted the k02s are remarkably quiet due to cabin damping too. The duelers feel a little more secure on road too, as you’d expect. Not a big difference, but noticeable If youre looking for it.

TomE

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Just got back from 1st "hands on" drive of the Trial Master.
With regard to the vehicle, first impression was almost immediate upon opening the doors. "Fit" and was very precise. Doors opened and closed easily, not needing "too much" (subjective) force to open/close. The driving position was very close to optimal, where I could see both front corners and rear via mirrors with little to no 'neck cranking'. I'm a "shorty" so after a quick adjustment of the seat and being acquainted with the BMW Zed F transmission we were ready to go.
Right off the bat, I noticed the steering was smmmmmoooottthhhhhhhh. All this fussing about how awkward/confounding/<insert adjective> the Grenadier's recirculating ball (vs rack and pinion) is. I found the hydraulic assist to be fine. Sure, the turns were not as tight as many/most passenger cars nor could you simply go hands off (not SHOULD one imho), however I had no issue with a series of hard left/right turns as we left the dealership. By the way, the staff at the Knuaz Ineos (Billy and Julie) were very nice and accommodating given the "show room" was still waiting for the furniture to show up.!

Upon getting up to traffic speed (approx 55-60mph), my next big "impression" I am left with is how quiet the Grenadier was. I could easily hear Julie as she explained the Auto/Stop On/Off, the Cruise Control and pointed out to the wife that there were NO mirrors on the visors. This was surprising to me(no, not the lack of mirrors!), in part due to the KO2s on the Trial Master. I would understand that the Field Master and it's 18" Allows with All Terrains would be "quiet" in comparison, however I was truly blown away how comfy and quiet the cabin felt. Sure the "lack" of storage or cubbies may annoy some, I personally liked not having pockets for all kinds of #$% to get stuffed in at some point later.

All in, was close to probably an hour (50ish min) with the folks @ Knauz. Eagerly anticipating a (hopefully) Joyful (and early) Christmas.
Now just got to find a very large Red Bow for The Day!!
can you disable the "Auto/Stop OnOff" ?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
can you disable the "Auto/Stop OnOff" ?
Yes. There’s a button on the center stack. It needs to be turned off each time the truck is restarted.

TomE

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. There’s a button on the center stack. It needs to be turned off each time the truck is restarted.
Thanks. Had my LR tech disable on my LR vehicles. Wonder if permanent way to disable on the IG

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I test drove at Knauz in December, I drove it as long as I wanted. They weren’t in a hurry. I also put my foot into the accelerator ALOT (because it was a demo car) and put it through the paces! No issues at all. They were very nice.

Back
Top Bottom