The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas US Oil for B58 Engines

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
Edit: Disregard my post, LL-12FE+ is a BMW supersession for LL04 in their BMW Branded TurboPower oils

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone know the specific differences between LL01/LL04 and LL12FE+?

@Jayman1 I can understand going with a heavier oil, but why go with one that doesn't meet any of the (confusingly several) BMW specs that are mentioned for the B58?
See Post #18

Or were you asking for oil-specific spec’s?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
See Post #18

Or were you asking for oil-specific spec’s?
Disregard, I did further Googling and found that LL-12FE+ is the supersession of BMW branded LL-04; I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread yet

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been fortunate enough to push a few vehicles to the high 200K miles - and I’ve lost a couple before 100K too. I’m a firm believer in synthetic oils AND not changing brands or viscosity unless you’re drastically changing the demands you’re putting on the vehicle. I have no scientific data. Just superstitious. 😎

LWA55DAL

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
This wasn’t mentioned yet so going to share with the group as I just completed my break-in oil change yesterday (2.2k mls) - Liqui Moly 6600 0w-20 is fully compliant and BMW approved for use in the B58. I don’t want to get into the oil weight debate (20/30/40/50), but this is the exact oil spec and I have used their oil in many cars for years with great results on new to very high mileage vehicles. We all have a GPF so you can’t really use some of the other specs in the long run.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After looking at the specifications, the LL17FE+ is super low viscosity and lighter than I want to use. I would prefer a higher viscosity to improve engine life, such as the BMW LL04 or LL01 spec oils.

The Ineos B58 particulate filter calls for a low SAPS (sulfated ash, phosphorus, sulfur) oil. This is BMW LL04 spec, designed to prevent degradation of particulate filters.

If you want better wear protection you could go with BMW LL01 spec which contains more SAPS antiwear additives. I understand there is a chance this could accelerate degradation of the CAT or particulate filter, but I cannot comment on that directly.
You have that backwards the LL04 has better protection and had cat issues but that was when US fuels has higher sulfur rates vs the Euro matched sulfur rates they do now.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This wasn’t mentioned yet so going to share with the group as I just completed my break-in oil change yesterday (2.2k mls) - Liqui Moly 6600 0w-20 is fully compliant and BMW approved for use in the B58. I don’t want to get into the oil weight debate (20/30/40/50), but this is the exact oil spec and I have used their oil in many cars for years with great results on new to very high mileage vehicles. We all have a GPF so you can’t really use some of the other specs in the long run.

LM is a mid-tier oil. Spends more money on advertising. That oil appears to have a rather low TBN and high sodium content based on this thread and confirms other reports I’ve read.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You have that backwards the LL04 has better protection and had cat issues but that was when US fuels has higher sulfur rates vs the Euro matched sulfur rates they do now.
We're kinda on the same page and splitting hairs between those two oils, but that info came from a M1 engineer.

Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
Just one general comment on the viscosity: The bearing clearances and oil viscosity are linked. New engines have both tighter clearances and thinner oil. If too thick oil is used oil pressure is good but oil flow will be reduced to a level that may cause damage. So thicker oil may not be good for the engine.

When engine wears it can be compensated with thicker oil. I recommend oil pressure gauge at least when mileage increases.

Back
Top Bottom