The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

B58 engine oil leak (rear main seal)

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
starting a new thread (originally mixed in with the transfer case oil leak thread) so I can document this particular issue and provide updates hopefully my issue will be fixed and this might be helpful to to others

I started noticing a slow oil leak about two weeks ago (my car only has about 800 miles on it). A small drip of motor oil showed up near the engine starter towards the back of the b58 engine. I tried to wipe clean everything, but a new drop of motor oil showed up again the next day. Also checked the engine oil level, and it was showing everything OK.

scheduled a service appointment with my dealer (which is about 1.5 hours away), after a week at the dealer, I was told that they thought the leak was coming from the rear main seal, and ordered replacement parts. but will need to remove the transmission to replace the rear main seal.

current ETA is by the end of next week.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 11.23.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 11.23.25 AM.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 79

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
called my dealer today and was informed that they are still waiting for replacement parts, and just escalated the order with Ineos. My grenadier has been sitting at the dealership for two weeks already. :-(

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
I have Volvo XC90 diesel as a daily driver, soon getting a Grenadier.
On XC90 I have an oil leek for a few months now. Only about 60.000 miles on it. It’s quite bad - a drop every few minutes.
I’m pouring new oil weekly.

Dealer wasn’t able to find where it leaks the easy way, so now they plan to disassemble the engine in hope to find it. Crazy!
So I really sympathise.

I mean, if it’s a very small leak like yours, you could probably just pour new oil and drive on and nothing bad would happen (for a while at least)… but that’s not really a solution :)

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have Volvo XC90 diesel as a daily driver, soon getting a Grenadier.
On XC90 I have an oil leek for a few months now. Only about 60.000 miles on it. It’s quite bad - a drop every few minutes.
I’m pouring new oil weekly.

Dealer wasn’t able to find where it leaks the easy way, so now they plan to disassemble the engine in hope to find it. Crazy!
So I really sympathise.

I mean, if it’s a very small leak like yours, you could probably just pour new oil and drive on and nothing bad would happen (for a while at least)… but that’s not really a solution :)
It is still a new car and under warranty, I hope that my dealership would fix and cover the costs of repairs. if they cannot fix this issue after multiple attempts, there is also the Lemon law protection for new car purchase and I hope it won’t come to that.

I read from bmw forums that oil leak is a common issue with B58 engines, and I am okay to always carrying some motor oil in the trunk, but I wasn’t expecting it to happen so soon.

Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
Cam cover gasket? Powertrain is a little bit front up and top oil leak will show up at rear bottom of engine.

There need to be quite big leak before it will show at oil level. Min-max volume is typically about one litre.

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cam cover gasket? Powertrain is a little bit front up and top oil leak will show up at rear bottom of engine.

There need to be quite big leak before it will show at oil level. Min-max volume is typically about one litre.
Leaks from cam cover gasket seems to be a common cause, but I was told by the master mechanic at the dealership that my engine oil leak is from rear main seal, which is a bigger job (or expensive) to replace since transmission has to come out to reach it.

Back
Top Bottom