The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
So I installed a stabilizer. I wanted the OME one, but didn't fine a fitting kit for the Gren, so I figured I'd experiment with fitting it myself.
Didn't want to experiment with a $100 OME unit, so I bought this el cheapo one off Amazon:

Went to the local hardware store and bought some steel split spacers that were almost the right size. Had to open them up a touch with a screwdriver.
The smaller bolt already has a spacer in the bushing to match the diameter of the larger bolt, so I used it and 2 hardware store spacers of the same size.
Took me maybe 15 minutes once I got back with the spacers.
No other hacks needed. No grinding or drilling. The only other thing I did was put washers on either end of the eyelets to make them the same width as the factory ones. (the Monroe eyelets are narrower)

I can tell the damper is on there, but it still drives much closer to how it did with no damper than to how it did with the factory damper.
All shimmy tendencies have disappeared!
I'll keep expanding the envelope and will report back if I find any trouble.
Very happy so far.

Monroe stabilizer: $40
Spacers: $4

Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Well, Nuke, you deserve recognition. You're one of the few people here that doesn't sit around waiting to be spoon-fed overpriced bolt on's, and act's like wrenching is rocket science.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well even more interesting.

$44 worth of kit against $270 I believe from one of the other suppliers.

Would be interesting now to have a side by side comparison between the two or three (if you count the Owl one), and see if there is a marked difference.

bradshow

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the Agile Off-road (AO) Fox steering stabilizer a couple weeks ago. I didn’t really mind the OEM but the Fox is night and day better for driving on the road (I haven’t driven off road). It returns almost to center when making turns and you don’t have to constantly make minor adjustments when you are on the highway. I felt like driving with OEM felt very unique (coming from luxury cars) and kinda required you to always be paying close attention when turning and driving on highway. I feel way more relaxed driving on the road with the Fox. I don’t see any real benefit in the expensive and adjustable ones vs Old Man Emu or AO Fox. I’ll never go back to OEM after using the AO Fox one.

Back
Top Bottom