The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the Grenadier expensive?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
It seems quite common for people to comment on the IG being expensive (or even premium!).

In the UK, typically in the same price bracket as a specced up double cab Ranger, Amorak etc. Likewise a Volve XC90, X5, VW Transporter, Jeep Gladiator or Discovery.

What are your thoughts?

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
When I place my pre order it was to be in same price range as my Jeep Gladiator. Upon Ineos “adjusting” prices it now falls in to the “premium” price category in Canada.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:07 AM
Reaction score
I don't think your comparisons to a specced up double cab Ranger, Amarok, Volve XC90, X5, VW Transporter are valid - none of these vehicles are live axled and in some cases don't even have a transfer case. None of these vehicles are as competent off road as the Grenadier and some aren't even four-wheel drives, they are SUV's.

The Gladiator/Wrangler are comparable as they are a live axle, coil sprung with auto transmission and 2 spd transfer case vehicle.

Sure, the IG is not cheap but look at the componentry - BMW engine, ZF auto, Carraro axles with Eibach springs and Brembo brakes, Recaro seats etc. etc. The component list is impressive and was never going to be old Defender priced.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
I The component list is impressive and was never going to be old Defender priced.

The old defenders were pretty good from the bumper down, but from the bumper up - the aluminum riveted body construction were legacies of the 50's. Ford did what they could to improve the doors and hood through the Td5 & Puma eras, but only so much can be done.

The Grenadier on the other hand is a totally modern passenger vehicle built on a stout, commercial grade chassis.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think your comparisons to a specced up double cab Ranger, Amarok, Volve XC90, X5, VW Transporter are valid - none of these vehicles are live axled and in some cases don't even have a transfer case. None of these vehicles are as competent off road as the Grenadier and some aren't even four-wheel drives, they are SUV's.

The Gladiator/Wrangler are comparable as they are a live axle, coil sprung with auto transmission and 2 spd transfer case vehicle.

Sure, the IG is not cheap but look at the componentry - BMW engine, ZF auto, Carraro axles with Eibach springs and Brembo brakes, Recaro seats etc. etc. The component list is impressive and was never going to be old Defender priced.
My comparison was just picking some random vehicles that might attract similar customers in some way.

Agreed, maybe the Gladiator is probably the closest comparison.

On the old Defender, I think it was around £35k in 2014, I can't imagine it would be far off Grenadier price if made today to today's standards.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Grenadier is the best 4x4 at this price point in my view.
An LC300 GXL is missing to many components to be a real 4x4 and GR requires a 2nd mortgage.
New 2.8L Diesel 76 series is just a 1990s truck with misaligned rear axle width... it's that right after all these years!!!???
Y62 will send you broke each time you refuel.
Jeep's get towed nearly every day on the highway I travel and only beaten on towed quantum by the new MG branded cars...
New Rover is now expensive, saw one getting towed last week and his luck with repairs and warranty. But damn they are comfy to sit in...
Don't even mention Ranger Everest DMax Triton etc etc - they are light weight tin fill cars that whose panels buckle under leant body weight of average sized persons!!!

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the UK you can pick up a 2023 Grenadier with a few thousand miles on the clock for £50,000 or less. To me they seem too cheap , I struggle to believe Ineos can build this car and make any money from it at the current new list prices. I suppose they need to get vehicles out into the real world to build the brand for the future. Hopefully the new commercial model with Vat reclaimable will help boost sales in the UK.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
In the U.S. it is an expensive car in comparison to it's direct competition (minus the G-Wagen) Rubicon Jeeps fully loaded with lockers and all are still 10k+ short of a loaded Trialmaster. You can buy almost two 4-runners for the price of one Gren, which is the most direct competition for the overland crowds. And even the new Land Cruiser 250 is still under the Gren pricepoint. So yeah, most folks will think its expensive unless they are shopping in the Land Rover lot.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can buy almost two 4-runners for the price of one Gren, which is the most direct competition for the overland crowds. And even the new Land Cruiser 250 is still under the Gren pricepoint. So yeah, most folks will think its expensive unless they are shopping in the Land Rover lot.
Based on leaked 6th gen 4Runner TRD Pro pricing, they aren't that far off... someone posted pricing at $70,950 for a TRD Pro 4Runner last week, which sounds pretty believable given the Tacoma TRD Pro is now $63,900 before any options or accessories; and that's before you get into dealers charging $10-30k mark ups on the LC250s already.

While they definitely cross compete in the US "overland" market, I'm fairly certain that the targeted clientele are the exact same group.

Do I think a Grenadier is cheap? No, not at all. We purchased both my GF's 2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road and my 2021 Tundra SX out the door for less than the MSRP on the Grenadier. But I think it is poised well and offers something that most other vehicles do not for a specific niche of buyer.

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Based on leaked 6th gen 4Runner TRD Pro pricing, they aren't that far off... someone posted pricing at $70,950 for a TRD Pro 4Runner last week, which sounds pretty believable given the Tacoma TRD Pro is now $63,900 before any options or accessories; and that's before you get into dealers charging $10-30k mark ups on the LC250s already.

While they definitely cross compete in the US "overland" market, I'm fairly certain that the targeted clientele are the exact same group.

Do I think a Grenadier is cheap? No, not at all. We purchased both my GF's 2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road and my 2021 Tundra SX out the door for less than the MSRP on the Grenadier. But I think it is poised well and offers something that most other vehicles do not for a specific niche of buyer.
The PRO is priced out of this world TBH. 70k for a Tacoma. Whew. That one hurts. The Trail Hunter is where it's at. Wish the Gren had that built in Compressor that Toyota put in the Trail Hunter.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Trailhunter is only $1k less than a Pro :)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the UK you can pick up a 2023 Grenadier with a few thousand miles on the clock for £50,000 or less. To me they seem too cheap , I struggle to believe Ineos can build this car and make any money from it at the current new list prices. I suppose they need to get vehicles out into the real world to build the brand for the future. Hopefully the new commercial model with Vat reclaimable will help boost sales in the UK.
The UK vehicles seem to be mostly at the lower spec level and often Utility spec.
Completely different to Australia and I expect the majority of other countries.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
It IS expensive but so is ever truck now. I will order another Power Wagon in a couple of years and it will be 80K, so not far off. Mid Size 4x4s and Jeeps hit 65K real quick, Landcruiser( the flimsy us model) or what ever the QX plastic express is can hit 75K plus quickly. Full Size Raptors 100K plus. But what changed my mind set is the build you get. And in my estimation that makes all the competitors over 100K, WELL OVER. Follow me. The Grenadier has close to or equivalent Dana 60 grade running gear and suspension. The stuff Rock Crawlers crave. To build a Land Cruiser, Jeep or 4 Runner to that level with Dana 60s, all related gear, heavy duty t case, gear driven transfer case, transmission with heavy duty torque convertor, heavy duty steering box and so on would cost what? an extra 50-60K. And for a Defender it would be 100K plus!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
People in Australia are dropping nearly 90K on a Ford Ranger... every Ford Ranger after 7 years looks like it is 20 years old and a buster... quality of parts, paint, engine, chassis are world apart. The Ford Ranger though is extremely comfortable to drive though... when compared to the Gren.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the U.S. it is an expensive car in comparison to it's direct competition (minus the G-Wagen) Rubicon Jeeps fully loaded with lockers and all are still 10k+ short of a loaded Trialmaster. You can buy almost two 4-runners for the price of one Gren, which is the most direct competition for the overland crowds. And even the new Land Cruiser 250 is still under the Gren pricepoint. So yeah, most folks will think its expensive unless they are shopping in the Land Rover lot.
This might be a bit nit-picky but the 4 Runner and 250 Cruiser have IFS and are therefore competitors with a compromise. My non negotiables were live axles with coils front & rear so neither of those two came into consideration. IFS makes for better steering but is more difficult to DIY modify as you need special equipment to deal with the front coils - not so with the Grenadier. Live front axles are also stronger than IFS.

We don't get the 4 Runner in Oz. The Jeep Wrangler and G Wagen are the only like for like competitors at the moment if you use the live axle criteria.

Back
Top Bottom