The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

To buy or not to buy...that is the question?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
@grendi
The door wash issues seem to be getting sorted. The other water ingress issues that a few are having appear to be more difficult (safari windows, front windscreen, rear door, AC evaporator cooling return line). I’m sure Ineos is working on identifying and creating permanent solutions for these.

BUT, if Ineos releases a workshop manual similar to the one attached, we’re screwed:

I also have the issue of water coming in through the back door and resting on the cill of the big window. The service manager and myself took quite a bit of time going over the doors and seal to see if we could indentify the ingress. I thought I had it sorted when I realised the drip lined up with a small body channel that comes off the roof and behind the seal.

He has since rung me and said that Ineos have stated a new seal is to be fitted, not sure if it’s a different one or not.

squarebale

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Jump in, the water is fine!

Seriously, in response to the people who say wait and see, and that have valid points for saying so, I say life is too short. If you buy a gren and don't like it... sell it. Maybe you lose a few bucks. Maybe you don't. I'll bet that if you buy one, you'll love it quirks and all.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
I did for an hour or so, mostly on-road as that is where the concern potentially lay, as the off-road creds were undoubted. I liked it, was not overly concerned, but it was different for sure, tks for the feedback!
One thing of importance is knowing where you nearest Ineos dealers is. Is it a convenient distance?

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
Just got back from a 4,000 mile road trip thru Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Nebraska. Gas Milage average, using premium 91 octane gasoline, was 16.554. Speed was up to 75-80 as there was some interstate highway time.
The positives (not all):

Good Gas Milage (better than my 100 and 200 series Land Cruisers).
Steering has a great feel to it especially at lower speeds.
Recaro seats are great - very very comfortable even on long extended days.
Heated seats work very well.
AC and Heat performance was up to snuff.
Wind noise (with full length roof rack) was decent - outside wind speed had a lot to do with the noise lever but it was never unbearable and we were in some high wind speed areas.
Cargo space was good for our purposes and would work for family of 4-5.
Engine and transmission performance was outstanding.
Brake response and feel was outstanding.

The bad:
none, zip, nadda, zero
No warning symbols appeared at all.
No issues at all.

Really, I have wonder and question if all of those negative comments being made are by actual Grenadier owners or if by someone who has not driven one for extended period of time (not 30 minutes). Perhaps they work for another auto maker. :)

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The bad:
none, zip, nadda, zero
No warning symbols appeared at all.
No issues at all.

Really, I have wonder and question if all of those negative comments being made are by actual Grenadier owners or if by someone who has not driven one for extended period of time (not 30 minutes). Perhaps they work for another auto maker. :)

Agreed - get in the effing car and drive it. Get 4 or 5 thousand miles under your belt, and all the things you think you know will fade into the background.

This thing is amazing.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One thing of importance is knowing where you nearest Ineos dealers is. Is it a convenient distance?
That concern is only for warranty work and agree for some with significant issues that is a much greater concern. I'm currently using an independent 4x4 mechanic shop with expert knowledge in BMW engines to do all non-warranty work - 1 hr away. I think very few have had "full breakdown" issues. I'm personally making a list of my concerns to be addressed at the time of first major check up - 3.5 hrs away.
Cheers.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am inclined to say that anyone who has any hesitation about purchasing the Grenadier should just forget this vehicle for a few years and choose something else. This is too unique a vehicle for those that are uncertain. Its raison d'etre is one of no compromise. 'This is what I am, deal with it, accept it, and I will give you plenty back'.
We as a community probably do the OP no favours in trying to 'persuade' him to part with a big lump of cash for something if it doesn't properly stir the emotions. A bit like buying a Harley or an old Defender / Series, you just have to get it.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am inclined to say that anyone who has any hesitation about purchasing the Grenadier should just forget this vehicle for a few years and choose something else. This is too unique a vehicle for those that are uncertain. Its raison d'etre is one of no compromise. 'This is what I am, deal with it, accept it, and I will give you plenty back'.
We as a community probably do the OP no favours in trying to 'persuade' him to part with a big lump of cash for something if it doesn't properly stir the emotions. A bit like buying a Harley or an old Defender / Series, you just have to get it.
Yes, @Cheshire cat I can confirm what you say. For me, the Grenadier is something very special. I love it, just like I love my Land Rovers. Those who have read my early posts know that it's not an overland vehicle for me like my Defender was. For me, it is a working vehicle and intended for use in fields, forests and meadows. Initially, I even wanted to equip it only with a green license plate for agricultural vehicles available in Germany, as I wanted to use it exclusively for this „build on purpose“. But I don't want to get out of the car after every use. Yes, I find myself doing evening check rides in the field more often. And the Grenadier doesn't have to be perfect for me. I've known since 2016 what I was getting myself into and wanted to be part of this adventure even then. I can overlook the little things. They might be fixed sooner or later. In the Defender, it also rained in at the top of the driver's side window for 20 years. If there was a lot of water, I just put on my Barbour jacket. But that's my personal opinion. I respect the fact that other people have different expectations of the vehicle. Everyone has to decide that for themselves, doI let my gut feeling or my brain guide me?

Nick Turley

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...As with any car, there are pro's and con's and they will all come out in the forums, especially in 4x4 enthusiast forums such as this one, so thank you all for some insightful comments! My off-roading will be 10% and then mostly gravel roading and overlanding to go and see places off the beaten track, but no rock hopping as a sport. I've had LC100, LC200, Nissan Patrol, double cab pickups and more recently 4 VW Touaregs in a row...(great vehicle, but time for a change).

I have noticed some issues mentioned and discussed, mostly minor but the occasional steering comment does raise a concern...To buy or not to buy...that is the question? Any buyers' remorse? Would you do it again considering what you know now? Do you wish you had gone with the tried and trusted alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you ;-)
We really like the Grenadier and are delighted we bought it. It is a long term keep for us. Our main use is towing.
12000 miles to date the more I use it the more I like it. Had most types of vehicle this is the best overall.
The steering is fine although it is critical to have the tracking correct and on the road it needs high pressure in the tyres

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Nick
Seems many of us have bought these for the long term and are really happy despite the niggles. Wonder how much satisfaction is due to the demographic of the average owner. Perhaps with age comes the patience to deal with a few problems. In the latest Grenadier podcast, they allude to the average buyer and how Ineos built this vehicle to be a long term prospect.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Nick
Seems many of us have bought these for the long term and are really happy despite the niggles. Wonder how much satisfaction is due to the demographic of the average owner. Perhaps with age comes the patience to deal with a few problems. In the latest Grenadier podcast, they allude to the average buyer and how Ineos built this vehicle to be a long term prospect.
Agree. Maturity, wanting something different, mechanically minded, patience, and whether it’s a second car and not your only car will influence things.

If I was a young family (busy lifestyle, time short) and it was my only family vehicle, I’d probably get a mainstream branded SUV tbh.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agree. Maturity, wanting something different, mechanically minded, patience, and whether it’s a second car and not your only car will influence things.

If I was a young family (busy lifestyle, time short) and it was my only family vehicle, I’d probably get a mainstream branded SUV tbh.
I agree to a large extent however, my kids having grown up with both sorts of vehicles in the household (very lucky I know), always preferred trips out in the Defender. Not always the case for the grownups mind. 🤔

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Not me. I've already brought my Land Rovers into the family. Whenever someone asked me about reliability, I always said, "I have several, because at least one is not ready to drive at the moment". A Land Rover is never completely faultless, but it is also never completely broken. :ROFLMAO:

dradtke

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...As with any car, there are pro's and con's and they will all come out in the forums, especially in 4x4 enthusiast forums such as this one, so thank you all for some insightful comments! My off-roading will be 10% and then mostly gravel roading and overlanding to go and see places off the beaten track, but no rock hopping as a sport. I've had LC100, LC200, Nissan Patrol, double cab pickups and more recently 4 VW Touaregs in a row...(great vehicle, but time for a change).

I have noticed some issues mentioned and discussed, mostly minor but the occasional steering comment does raise a concern...To buy or not to buy...that is the question? Any buyers' remorse? Would you do it again considering what you know now? Do you wish you had gone with the tried and trusted alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you ;-)
Took delivery of my Fieldmaster 3 weeks ago.I have used it as my everyday vehicle in order to get as many miles on as possible to sort out any issues before taking a long trip later this summer.I was following the comments about issues with the Grenadier for some time and anxious to see if I had any of these problems.I am happy to say thus far the unit has been everything I could have hoped for.The steering on the highway has been good.The hands free telephone is good.No leaks.The sound system is good.All in all I am extreme happy.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I have 2 D90s (Soft and Hard top), 76 Bronco and an 06 Land Cruiser. I'm use to leaks so that's not a big deal however I would rather not have that issue in a new 2024. I feel like we should be past that.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:13 AM
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...
It's a fantastic car.

But be prepared for some quirks. Things I can live with and that INEOS will iron out step by step, I think (and hope).

For example, occasional water leaks here and there. In my case from the Safari windows, in the meantime fixed by INEOS. But I also found some (but not much) water in the passenger footwell that seems to be coming in from somewhere around the bulkhead. Or a (imho too) slowly charging battery. Slight vibrations are noticeable between 1800 and 2000 rpm under load. The air conditioning is difficult to regulate, the volume is difficult to adjust. The car bongs every time I cross a pothole or a hump. The park distance sensor rear right sends an alarm always in reverse gear - even if there is nothing ...

I think all this will be fixed over time. And new minor issues will appear and will be fixed as well: after all, this is a brand new model from a brand new car manufacturer.

The answer is: Yes, there are some quirks. But no show stoppers. And the car pays back with an incomparable driving experience.

I love it.

Last edited:
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Would you go on Land Cruiser forum and ask if you should buy a Land Cruiser? Few people that would say “no” are going to be around.

What you can do though, is check in once a day and read the “what’s new” posts, read the posts with people having certain issues, and back read that thread. After a month or two, you’ll get better picture of what you can deal with and what’s important to you.

Ultimately though, If you walk into a restaurant and ask the waiter if the food is good, well, those that would say no, don’t appear for long.

But since you ask.

My personal opinion, based on being a 40 year 4x4 and off-road enthusiast, but someone that enjoys a difficult journey as long as the truck itself isn’t the issue, the truck is a “wait and see”. The mechanics we won’t get a picture on for a few more years so judging that wouldn’t be fair, but the bones look great. The electronics though are steaming mess and management ability to address it is apparently hindered by being new and small. The good part being, those type of issues ought to be easily addressed in time.

I turned down my reservation, and I’ve been shopping late model non turbo Gwagons while I see what management does to address issues. I’m not yet convinced they are going to respond appropriately, would be my answer to the question.
I kinda liken Ineos to Land Rover in such that the drivetrain and materials and styling are all there but the electronics are the pitfall.
Land Rover could care less as people keep buying their vehicles so they dont seem to address niggles from one model year to the next.
I kinda see a lot of that in Ineos so far.
The biggest issue is for those that dont have a service center anywhere remotely local.

Back
Top Bottom