The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering stabilizer bar

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:54 PM
Reaction score
So I installed a stabilizer. I wanted the OME one, but didn't fine a fitting kit for the Gren, so I figured I'd experiment with fitting it myself.
Didn't want to experiment with a $100 OME unit, so I bought this el cheapo one off Amazon:

Went to the local hardware store and bought some steel split spacers that were almost the right size. Had to open them up a touch with a screwdriver.
The smaller bolt already has a spacer in the bushing to match the diameter of the larger bolt, so I used it and 2 hardware store spacers of the same size.
Took me maybe 15 minutes once I got back with the spacers.
No other hacks needed. No grinding or drilling. The only other thing I did was put washers on either end of the eyelets to make them the same width as the factory ones. (the Monroe eyelets are narrower)

I can tell the damper is on there, but it still drives much closer to how it did with no damper than to how it did with the factory damper.
All shimmy tendencies have disappeared!
I'll keep expanding the envelope and will report back if I find any trouble.
Very happy so far.

Monroe stabilizer: $40
Spacers: $4

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
Well, Nuke, you deserve recognition. You're one of the few people here that doesn't sit around waiting to be spoon-fed overpriced bolt on's, and act's like wrenching is rocket science.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Well even more interesting.

$44 worth of kit against $270 I believe from one of the other suppliers.

Would be interesting now to have a side by side comparison between the two or three (if you count the Owl one), and see if there is a marked difference.

bradshow

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the Agile Off-road (AO) Fox steering stabilizer a couple weeks ago. I didn’t really mind the OEM but the Fox is night and day better for driving on the road (I haven’t driven off road). It returns almost to center when making turns and you don’t have to constantly make minor adjustments when you are on the highway. I felt like driving with OEM felt very unique (coming from luxury cars) and kinda required you to always be paying close attention when turning and driving on highway. I feel way more relaxed driving on the road with the Fox. I don’t see any real benefit in the expensive and adjustable ones vs Old Man Emu or AO Fox. I’ll never go back to OEM after using the AO Fox one.

SeattleIG1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
Installed Agile Offroad Fox Steering Dampener, entire process took 15-minutes start to finish. Torque wrench, 18mm and 21mm 1/2" sockets and Loctite. On road driving is significantly improved, nearly returns to center in slow speed and medium speed cornering. Freeway driving is near perfect.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the Agile Off-road (AO) Fox steering stabilizer a couple weeks ago. I didn’t really mind the OEM but the Fox is night and day better for driving on the road (I haven’t driven off road). It returns almost to center when making turns and you don’t have to constantly make minor adjustments when you are on the highway. I felt like driving with OEM felt very unique (coming from luxury cars) and kinda required you to always be paying close attention when turning and driving on highway. I feel way more relaxed driving on the road with the Fox. I don’t see any real benefit in the expensive and adjustable ones vs Old Man Emu or AO Fox. I’ll never go back to OEM after using the AO Fox one.
Just did mine as well. Same assessment. Slightly “heavier” steering that holds to a line more easily, little bit better return, less buffering at speed in a cross-wind. Just more relaxed.

Local time
Reaction score
So, it appears most are going with Agile Offroad option. Is there a reason to go with theirs over the Owl Offroad option?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, it appears most are going with Agile Offroad option. Is there a reason to go with theirs over the Owl Offroad option?
I read somewhere that the Owl one needs a rebuild every so often.

bradshow

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
In my opinion, I don’t see any real benefit in the expensive and adjustable ones (e.g, Owl is $550) vs Old Man Emu ($120) or Agile Off-road ($260).

bradshow

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to order this one? I haven't found it in stock online anywhere.
I actually ordered that Old Man Emu and was gonna install it myself. I removed stock stabilizer but couldn’t put Old man emu in because top bolt was tack welded and it was smaller than stock one (looked like it needed spacers. I ended up returning it and getting Agile Off-road since it comes with everything you need. I could not be happier with it and I’ve seen others say the same about the agile off-road. If you want to go with the cheaper old man emu, I still think you’ll see a huge improvement over the stock one. I’ve seen people say it’s great. I just never tried it.

Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
I removed my steering stabilizer today.

WOW!! What a difference!

Steering returns to center like most every other vehicle. Low-speed turning of the wheel is MUCH quicker. Three point turns greatly improved. The ability to go quickly lock to lock makes the turning circle feel smaller.
No problem steering with only one hand in parking lots and driveways. One hand steering while pulling out onto a perpendicular street, without fear of ending up on the sidewalk.
Highway tracking is improved as well, but not nearly as much improvement as low-speed.

Death wobble...
Rock solid at speeds up to 65-70 mph.
I hit a large seam in the pavement at 75-80, though and could feel it want to shimmy.
The steering wheel began quick oscillations that reduced in amplitude over a second or so until gone.
This leads me to believe that there is some static instability in the steering system, but that there is positive dynamic stability.

In summary, I'll never put the INEOS steering stabilizer back on!
I will, however; keep my speed down until I can get an OME or Fox stabilizer installed.
I took the factory stabilizer off and got a OME to install. I am so happy with the steering without a stabilizer that I haven’t installed the OME. I need someone to tell me why I need a steering stabilizer at all? My Grenadier has 1,300 miles and can’t say it will ever be my daily driver. Love the air suspension in my other cars.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took the factory stabilizer off and got a OME to install. I am so happy with the steering without a stabilizer that I haven’t installed the OME. I need someone to tell me why I need a steering stabilizer at all? My Grenadier has 1,300 miles and can’t say it will ever be my daily driver. Love the air suspension in my other cars.
I felt that there might be a tendency to shimmy without a stabilizer.
To be fair, the slight shimmy occurred at high speed (75+mph) while accelerating, turning, and hitting a sizable bump in the concrete with only 1 of the front wheels.
Even then, the shimmy quickly reduced in intensity until it disappeared, maybe half a second after starting.

I don't know if there are any circumstances under which the shimmy would be divergent and develop into a "death wobble".
I can say that after installing the Monroe stabilizer (cheap version of OME), all tendencies to shimmy have disappeared while keeping 90% of the improvements seen without a stabilizer.

If my only 2 choices were factory stabilizer or no stabilizer, I'd run no stabilizer.

I can't emphasize enough, to anyone who has only run the factory stabilizer, what a total transformative joy it is to drive. There would be no comments on videos, forums or reviews regarding the steering of the Gren if they were delivered without steering stabilizers.
The quirky (poor?) steering characteristics are NOT inherent in the design of a "true offroad" system. They are NOT caused by recirculating balls or kingpins or solid front axles.
They are 100% a product of the factory steering stabilizer!

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, and to answer your question, I can't say that you NEED to install the OME unit; but, it is such an easy install, I'd say to put it on and see if you like it. You can always take it back off if you don't.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I felt that there might be a tendency to shimmy without a stabilizer.
To be fair, the slight shimmy occurred at high speed (75+mph) while accelerating, turning, and hitting a sizable bump in the concrete with only 1 of the front wheels.
Even then, the shimmy quickly reduced in intensity until it disappeared, maybe half a second after starting.
I anticipate that as the rest of the suspension wears, this will get worse.
The quirky (poor?) steering characteristics are NOT inherent in the design of a "true offroad" system. They are NOT caused by recirculating balls or kingpins or solid front axles.
They are 100% a product of the factory steering stabilizer!

Did you happen to set your tires to 36 PSI before you installed the aftermarket stabilizer?

Back
Top Bottom