The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Limiting signatures to a few lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertdefender

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
I think this forum should impose some limits on people's signatures. This is getting completely out of hand. One member's signature is so long that it takes two pages of scrolling on an iPhone 14 Max. Does this guy think people want to read all of this crap? It screws up other peoples threads when he posts in them. I think disallowing images in signatures and limiting people to a couple of lines is a good balance. Your name and a link to your truck build thread at most.

IMG_0779.jpg

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Exactly.

@desertdefender: Just switch off your signatures.
typo

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
I don't think that personal priorities of some can be a substitute for the preferences of a majority.

As long as there is the individual option to turn off the signatures, everybody has a choice.

desertdefender

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
He happens to be one of the nicest guys around and I think to call him out in such a public way is disrespectful.

I didn't even mention his name or screenshot his username. It's disrespectful to fill up everybody's threads with a page and a half of personal and truck bio with each post you make. I don't mind sigs and don't want to turn them off but this is out of control, like if you asked Norm Macdonald to write the most ridiculous signature ever. Nobody cares about your builds and your life as much as you think people do.

It also likely harms SEO for this site by increasing the amount of duplicative content every time someone posts a wall of sig text in a thread.

Last edited:
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Every other forum I've been on limited this. To say you can "turn it off" places the onus on the reader who must now choose to avoid some interesting or pertinent information of 99.9% of the members, to avoid being swamped by one. And If we all need to do that to avoid a pamphlet repeated 10 times in every thread, and we all avoid the sig lines, what is the point of the sig line to begin with?

It calls a Signature line. Not a Novella line.

Be polite and keep it concise.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
It is a problem, I have had to block a few members because their signature is so long I can hardly see anything on my 27 inch monitor! I need to block them to use the forum properly. It is an awkward solution.

Thunderbird

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
I think this forum should impose some limits on people's signatures. This is getting completely out of hand. One member's signature is so long that it takes two pages of scrolling on an iPhone 14 Max. Does this guy think people want to read all of this crap? It screws up other peoples threads when he posts in them. I think disallowing images in signatures and limiting people to a couple of lines is a good balance. Your name and a link to your truck build thread at most.

View attachment 7851273
I care about what he wrote and I’ve actually read it all more than once. Have a nice night. Perhaps we can all copy and paste his signature moving forward 😂

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
I didn't even mention his name or screenshot his username. It's disrespectful to fill up everybody's threads with a page and a half of personal and truck bio with each post you make. I don't mind sigs and don't want to turn them off but this is out of control, like if you asked Norm Macdonald to write the most ridiculous signature ever. Nobody cares about your builds and your life as much as you think people do.

It also likely harms SEO for this site by increasing the amount of duplicative content every time someone posts a wall of sig text in a thread.
No you didnt exactly mention him by name, you just posted a screenshot of his signature.
You made your point and didnt have to call him out like that, thats all.
Wouldn't it be easier to just adjust your settings rather than posting and posting about it?
Try not to be so easily triggered.

Local time
Reaction score
No you didnt exactly mention him by name, you just posted a screenshot of his signature.
You made your point and didnt have to call him out like that, thats all.
Wouldn't it be easier to just adjust your settings rather than posting and posting about it?
Try not to be so easily triggered.
Hey, He posted the culprit. Whats he supposed to do? Photoshop it like we would be too dumb to know or work it out? The sig line is literally the whole screen. It's completely unreasonable. No one wants to block people or block everyone's sig line.

FYI. Personal experience and preference has me keeping sig lines to one joke, (who doesn't like a joke?) and the rigs/modifications pertinent to the site, so if I ask a question or make a comment in a technical section, the information needed by the reader about my truck experience is readily available. Which is common practice for technical sites. Maybe you're of a younger generation and used to the (useless) mayhem of social media and lack technical forum experience. Do you now understand where there can be an issue with telling everyone to turn off sig lines on technical forum?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm getting twinturbo.net flashbacks from 20 years ago. My solution back then was to add a very tall (long) picture of a Hankook Tire model to my signature. Nobody seemed to complain about that.

She still lives @ http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4988412690_2b417e981d_b.jpg

Every car forum goes through its growing pains. Its pretty common to limit the length of signature lines to 3-4 lines, and some don't even allow images.

OP simply called out the most egregious offender on this forum.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I never in a million years would have believed there'd be a signature that long but for OP posting it. I've been around on enough car/guitar forums in the past 20+ years to know signatures eventually devolve into distractions and petty wars, and while turning them off is an option, there should be some manner of reasonable limitations to prevent wholesale abuse of it.

Until those limitations are in place, however, I will turn them off.

desertdefender

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Every car forum goes through its growing pains. Its pretty common to limit the length of signature lines to 3-4 lines, and some don't even allow images.

OP simply called out the most egregious offender on this forum.

I've never allowed silly signatures on Discoweb or NAS-ROW. The one linked above takes it to a new level. In 30 years of forums usage, his is the most ridiculous I've ever seen. This guy thinks every thread he participates in needs to know the complete biography of him and his truck. If he posts multiple times in a thread, the biography gets repeated. It's literally pages of scrolling with each of his posts. I come here for technical information. Leave that stuff in your build thread. Nobody should have to go into their settings to opt out of this nonsense.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 3.00.36 PM.jpg

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You could’ve easily messaged him directly and if that didn’t go well the inquired with the moderators.

If you hadn’t included the following “Does this guy think people want to read all of this crap?” then I would be impartial on your original post. But with that included I feel your post is more of an attack than a question on forum guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom