The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Insurance renewal

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I have justed renew my Trialmaster via Admiral for £1343 Ouch!!!, it was about £550 last year from Churchill who refused to renew this year
My policy with Admiral is fully comp Gold cover covering all over europe with 2 additional drivers but only 3000miles/pa I did go via Topcashback web site who were offerign a 34% cash back offer when going via moneysupermarket so hopefully when I get the cashback in about 6 months I'll have paid £886.00
Educate me on this side of the Pond please ... is £1343 per yr? Or per 6 months?
Thanks!

Reactions: PBD

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Educate me on this side of the Pond please ... is £1343 per yr? Or per 6 months?
Thanks!

As Simon says when we (UK), quote insurance prices it is normally accepted that it’s for 12 months and generally what we call “fully comprehensive” unless stated. You can just insure yourself against having an accident and paying the other persons costs and damage, your own vehicle would not be covered under the insurance. You would have to be driving a very low cost vehicle these days to have that and I don’t think there is much of a monetary saving these days if you have it.

Due to the absolute plague of vehicle thefts in the UK that has just continued to climb over the last 8-10yrs insurances have just gone up and up. The cars primarily stolen for parts or shipping abroad. No vehicle is safe but 4x4’s are specifically targeted, basically because of where the vehicles are being shipped to.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As Simon says when we (UK), quote insurance prices it is normally accepted that it’s for 12 months and generally what we call “fully comprehensive” unless stated. You can just insure yourself against having an accident and paying the other persons costs and damage, your own vehicle would not be covered under the insurance. You would have to be driving a very low cost vehicle these days to have that and I don’t think there is much of a monetary saving these days if you have it.

Due to the absolute plague of vehicle thefts in the UK that has just continued to climb over the last 8-10yrs insurances have just gone up and up. The cars primarily stolen for parts or shipping abroad. No vehicle is safe but 4x4’s are specifically targeted, basically because of where the vehicles are being shipped to.
Thank you for that clarity! I have read about the increasing thefts. Similar policy groupings on this side. However policies are q6 months. Ironically, your 12 month coverage with currency conversion is just a touch over mine for equal time period.
Cheers!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
just renewing with Admiral on a multi car police. They quoted £1400 for 12 mos, but phoned them up and haggled a little, threw in 'I'm off to NFU' and got it down to £1230 or thereabouts. Not cheap but good enough in today's market.

Based East Sussex, UK

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just had my multicar renewal quote through from LV.
Grenadier diesel SW insurance up £86.00 on last years premium. New premium @ £683..27
Admiral quoted substantially less.
That’s very very cheap. Did they base the quote on a van or car policy?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just had my multicar renewal quote through from LV.
Grenadier diesel SW insurance up £86.00 on last years premium. New premium @ £683..27
Admiral quoted substantially less.
mine was £1250 or thereabouts with Admiral multi car. £700 sounds a steal. Obviously lots of variables but even so....

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s very very cheap. Did they base the quote on a van or car policy?
Hi Skydance
Van policy. With hindsight I think I was fortunate in choosing to opt for the van with every extra. I saved on road fund license and insurance at the cost of 10mph slower on A roads and dual carriagew

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Skydance
Van policy. With hindsight I think I was fortunate in choosing to opt for the van with every extra. I saved on road fund license and insurance at the cost of 10mph slower on A roads and dual carriagew
my thoughts exactly. I wanted extra boot space rather than rear passenger legroom, that swung it. the savings on tax were a very welcome surprise.

just sold the D4 at that was £650 pa road tax!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I am dreading my renewal although I seem to remember something on here saying Churchill won’t quote for renewals, is that right ??

I suppose I will have to start looking around now, looks like Admiral could be a winner though, if £1200-£1500 can be considered a win.

Mine is the Trialmaster so I get canned on road tax and insurance. Do I get discount for being unemployed ? 😂

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am dreading my renewal although I seem to remember something on here saying Churchill won’t quote for renewals, is that right ??

I suppose I will have to start looking around now, looks like Admiral could be a winner though, if £1200-£1500 can be considered a win.

Mine is the Trialmaster so I get canned on road tax and insurance. Do I get discount for being unemployed ? 😂
No discount but you do get an excellent bat, unfortunately not coated in any Linseed oil.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Churchill refused to re-insure so I’ve gone with HastingsDirect for a fully loaded Trialmaster, 12000 miles p.a. for £635. Happy with that :cool:

Well that’s a bit more encouraging. I have a clean license, live in a low crime area, do a max of 6000 a year, so I don’t see why I couldn’t get a price like this for the exact same model !

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
My Grenadier went on the road on the 22nd April 2023, insured as a Van with Admiral for £646.88. My renewal came today for £1,099.44. Confused.com could not come up with a premium less than £1800, Meerkats came back with nearly £1600 and Direct Line declined to quote.

NFU finally quoted me £1088.00, so a tiny bit cheaper than Admiral. I've gone with NFU, Admiral have been a pain in the past and were a reluctant purchase in the first place. Being over age 70 is a risk factor, so that may explain the step in premiums for you. (I'm 60, 20k'ish a year miles and an IFA).
Interesting. My Fieldmaster is insured with Direct Line. I note you insured as a van… is that the reason?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Churchill refused to re-insure so I’ve gone with HastingsDirect for a fully loaded Trialmaster, 12000 miles p.a. for £635. Happy with that :cool:
This is a similar rate to Aus - about $1100 AUD for comprehensive and agreed replacement value at $130K AUD.

Local time
Reaction score
This is a similar rate to Aus - about $1100 AUD for comprehensive and agreed replacement value at $130K AUD.
That would be different for annual KMs, location and where the vehicle is parked at home or at work in a garage or on the street. A couple quotes I have had are well over $2000 annually for $130k agreed value just because of KMs and daily locations.

Back
Top Bottom