The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Insurance renewal

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I am with Allianz. Following set up;
$1122 pa.
130K agreed value.
25,000km per year.
$1500 excess.
Two drivers over 30 (but I can have ANY driver but excess jumps to $2.5K).

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Admiral have been their usual efficient selves and not disabled the auto-renew on my van policy, not withstanding me contacting them and telling them I would go to NFU. After a bit of faff and some downright lies, ("auto-renew is a legally mandated forced option but you can opt out"), it has been cancelled from inception.

Feeling paranoid, I checked that my cover with NFU was in place and they confirmed it was.

I was never a fan of Admiral and this has reinforced my general reservations around the company. Just getting to talk to a human at Admiral is a pain as you have to navigate their robot auto-attendent that just wants to push you towards their renewal desk. Trying to cancel a policy is a quest as they offer a lower quote after some umm'ing and ahh'ing, which I consider unethical; the FCA wants companies to offer the same deals to existing customers as to new customers, so just do it!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not looking forward to my renewal next month. 6 mth policy was $1k and I made a windshield claim worth $3k…
Best of luck. Insurance is a real bug bear. Fortunately, my own insurance saw a relatively small increase however, for me, the stars were all aligned. model of Grenadier (SW), my age, record, location, use, miles, etc. were all in the right zones.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
My initial quick quotes through a comparison site have come in at Admiral being the cheapest at £863 but when I checked that doesn’t include windscreen cover 😳

The best with screen cover was Admiral at £936.

Anyone have any experience with Elephant or Diamond insurance. They were £947 and £956 respectively. Although I have heard of Admiral, the above reviews of them doesn’t seem great !!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My initial quick quotes through a comparison site have come in at Admiral being the cheapest at £863 but when I checked that doesn’t include windscreen cover 😳

The best with screen cover was Admiral at £936.

Anyone have any experience with Elephant or Diamond insurance. They were £947 and £956 respectively. Although I have heard of Admiral, the above reviews of them doesn’t seem great !!
You tried LV and NFU? Also Hastings? They all seem very competitive

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You tried LV and NFU? Also Hastings? They all seem very competitive

No yet, as I just went on confused.com as a start. I will try those buddy when I sit down and seriously look for a replacement as I am currently with Churchill and I believe they are not offering renewals on IG’s from what others have said.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No yet, as I just went on confused.com as a start. I will try those buddy when I sit down and seriously look for a replacement as I am currently with Churchill and I believe they are not offering renewals on IG’s from what others have said.
Why would an insurance company not offer renewals? Trying to learn more about the UK insurance landscape.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My home insurance just went up 55% down here in Aus... 55% over a year. No wonder people are living on the streets.

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just had my multicar renewal quote through from LV.
Grenadier diesel SW insurance up £86.00 on last years premium. New premium @ £683..27
Admiral quoted substantially less.
I was with LV as I transferred from my previous car part way through the year. My renewal came recently and I read the small print and LV expected a tracker to be installed .
I have had a Scorpion tracker fitted but have moved to Admiral on a van policy for around £680.
NFU wouldn't even quote me given my postcode which happens to be rural.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So they will take on unknown new drivers but not known drivers? Just not understanding and probing more.
Cheers!
Hi Catpaw
That is correct. You may have an exemplary record but if they consider that vehicle to be too high a risk, they will not ensure it for anyone. Business will be closed to that particular make / model of car in certain locations. Especially true with Range Rovers currently. The rate of theft / damage means they know there will be no profit in covering that particular vehicle.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So they will take on unknown new drivers but not known drivers? Just not understanding and probing more.
Cheers!
There is no such thing as a unknown driver in the UK, even if you haven't insured with a company, your previous insurance record is on the national "insurance database". However it is about risk vs profit. Some vehicles aren't worth the risk, especially if you live in a city/ high theft area. ( applies to insurance for quad bikes on farms as well).
My friend always drove a range rover and lived in rural Derbyshire, but moved to Manchester, she had to sell the RR on renewal her insurance went to £6500

Last edited:

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Catpaw
That is correct. You may have an exemplary record but if they consider that vehicle to be too high a risk, they will not ensure it for anyone. Business will be closed to that particular make / model of car in certain locations. Especially true with Range Rovers currently. The rate of theft / damage means they know there will be no profit in covering that particular vehicle.
Thank you Cheshire Cat. Recently read that LRJ is offering £150 / month "contribution" towards insurance for their customers ( thru their own company). Would it be correct to say the theft issues are greater than actual damage issues?

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a unknown driver in the UK, even if you haven't insured with a company, your previous insurance record is on the national "insurance database". However it is about risk vs profit. Some vehicles aren't worth the risk, especially if you live in a city/ high theft area. ( applies to insurance for quad bikes on farms as well).
My friend always drove a range rover and lived in rural Derbyshire, but moved to Manchester, she had to sell the RR on renewal her insurance went to £6500
Hi Eric, you are totally correct ... nothing "unknown". Same over here. :oops: ☹️🤯🫨😬😧😲 ... that is I don't know what to say! Can't say I have heard of anything like that on this Side regarding cars but yes on homes. Some states are losing insurance companies or companies refusing to renew customers/ issue new policies because of natural disasters (wildfires, hurricanes, etc). Didn't realize auto theft was such a concern in the UK.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Eric, you are totally correct ... nothing "unknown". Same over here. :oops: ☹️🤯🫨😬😧😲 ... that is I don't know what to say! Can't say I have heard of anything like that on this Side regarding cars but yes on homes. Some states are losing insurance companies or companies refusing to renew customers/ issue new policies because of natural disasters (wildfires, hurricanes, etc). Didn't realize auto theft was such a concern in the UK.
Added to the theft issues, damage can also be a factor of insurance when parts are expense and long lead in time for spares ( when the insurance company has to provide a loan car).
JLR is unbelievable expensive on genuine parts. And JLR dealers/ repairers are not allowed to supply non JLR parts.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. My Fieldmaster is insured with Direct Line. I note you insured as a van… is that the reason?
My Fieldmaster renewal is coming up and I expect Churchiil to decline this time. Tried to get a quote from Direct line but declined.
Retired full NCB 10 k pa. Look like it will be Admiral

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
My Fieldmaster renewal is coming up and I expect Churchiil to decline this time. Tried to get a quote from Direct line but declined.
Interesting. I wonder what the issue is? I’m much like yourself. Retired. Safe postcode. Full NCB. 8k per year. Two cars insured with them. Renewed last December, I thought £517 was high (That’s after I took an eye watering voluntary excess).

My Defender will was around £330. The road tax must be considered: Defender £695. Grenadier £180. All counts to running cost.
:

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s where I ended up, multi car and house policy. Will change it next year if they put it up too much.

Back
Top Bottom