The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Expedition Portal Article on the Quartermaster

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
What I think of, when Ineos calculates pricing, any model .. they certainly did some cost to build, and of course market research to stay competitve. What is the market and I am pretty certain - they looked at Jeep and other pickup. Most certainly they know what competition will charge for their vehicles. Gladiators are in Germany quite rare. Seen only one that was another customer of my gunsmith. Not a very impressing vehicle to be frank.
However I would probably not purchase a Quartermaster too.
If I would need a pick up then first choice would be a "Taliban tank" aka HiLux. The version a friend of mine has, slightly lifted, Mud Terrains.. 2 winches plus foldable mounted crane at rear for field dressing and game recovery. heated dog compartment and a water tank for flushing / cleaning. hunting utility only. But that is a different story.. I just don't need one.

Last edited:

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
Payload (or lack thereof) is going to be the big achilles heel for the Quartermaster, particularly in Australia. I really think IA missed a big opportunity here, and sales won't be anything like what they hoped based on that alone. Particularly at the price point it has now been set at.
And the fleet market isn't going to move until they get confidence in parts availability etc, let alone lack of payload.
I just checked the GVM v Tare vehicle weight for my wife’s Subaru Forester - 699Kg - makes the Quatermaster look sick or the Suby is extrordinay!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I just checked the GVM v Tare vehicle weight for my wife’s Subaru Forester - 699Kg - makes the Quatermaster look sick or the Suby is extrordinay!
To be fair , the chassis of the Gren is pretty stout and is designed to take a hammering on rough tracks for decades.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Check out the GCM of your Forester 4,200kg compared to Grenadier 7,050 kg
Yeah, no probs - they are designed for completely different tasks. I guess I’m just cheesed off as I had high hopes the Quartermaster would at least equal my 27 yr old Defender! It will be more comfortable, but that’s where it ends. More electrics to go wrong and less load carrying capacity for a large pile of bikkies. I’m hoping they will come up with something better for the Aussie market.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
I had high hopes the Quartermaster would at least equal my 27 yr old Defender!
I guess you may be in a different position out there, but the question that immediately sprung to mind (for a UK based vehicle) is how much chassis/bulkhead welding have you had to do; not to mention replacement panels due to galvanic corrosion?

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess you may be in a different position out there, but the question that immediately sprung to mind (for a UK based vehicle) is how much chassis/bulkhead welding have you had to do; not to mention replacement panels due to galvanic corrosion?
Nothing, has been on the beach a bit but I always wash it well including inside chassis and make sure drain holes are free. It’s been on some horrifically corrugated roads, but no cracks - it’s done 500,000 kms all over Aus and I‘d go anywhere without doubting it would get me home again. I think I may have got a good one - even my service people remark on what a good vehicle it is.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
Nothing, has been on the beach a bit but I always wash it well including inside chassis and make sure drain holes are free. It’s been on some horrifically corrugated roads, but no cracks - it’s done 500,000 kms all over Aus and I‘d go anywhere without doubting it would get me home again. I think I may have got a good one - even my service people remark on what a good vehicle it is.
Begs the question if Ineos were to offer a lighter weight chassis that increased payload would those in climates like yours go for it?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Begs the question if Ineos were to offer a lighter weight chassis that increased payload would those in climates like yours go for it?
Depends on the terrain...a fully loaded vehicle doing 1000s of km of severely corrugated roads , or a beach oriented vehicle - or both.
Mind you there are some good non oily spray on chassis protection products out there to mitigate salt from beaches.
Salt spray which hits all euro vehicles from roof to chassis/wheels is only a local problem with people who are always launching boats or driving like idiots through the surf.
My rescued by me '73 Series Landy sat undriven, in the bush, for 19 years , with vegetation all around , with a smashed windscreen , in full view of the mountain which dumps bad weather all over Hobart. The only significant corrosion (forgetting the brakes) was the rear crossmember, as the accumulated mud had never been cleared out. And the rats had eaten the wiring.

Salt is the killer!

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone had their accountant take a good look at the Grenadier in Aus yet? Wondering if there may be an angle here, especially with steel panels in lieu of windows:

2. In determining the principal purpose for which any other vehicle was designed, regard should be had to factors including, but not limited to, the following:
*the appearance and presentation of the vehicle
*any relevant promotional literature
*the emphasis evident in marketing
*the vehicle's specifications
*load carrying capacity
*passenger carrying capacity

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone had their accountant take a good look at the Grenadier in Aus yet? Wondering if there may be an angle here, especially with steel panels in lieu of windows
2. In determining the principal purpose for which any other vehicle was designed, regard should be had to factors including, but not limited to, the following:
*the appearance and presentation of the vehicle
*any relevant promotional literature
*the emphasis evident in marketing
*the vehicle's specifications
*load carrying capacity
*passenger carrying capacity
I have and can claim mileage based on 40% work use.
I will probably be using it for 70% work use but account sys it won't wash unless I keep 24/7 logbooks and run the risk of an audit.
so I should be able to claim 40% of all costs and depreciation over 5 years up to a total of $76,000.
This is for private ownership and work use.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My accountant is useless. I can claim nothing on anything.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or a salaried worker.
I always get a good tax return because I have a good accountant.
Working from home, use my own vehicle, etc etc
I think the worst year was only about $4,000 but a good year is $15,000
I can't believe people who use H&R block or other tax agents, or worse people who do their own tax.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I always get a good tax return because I have a good accountant.
Working from home, use my own vehicle, etc etc
I think the worst year was only about $4,000 but a good year is $15,000
I can't believe people who use H&R block or other tax agents, or worse people who do their own tax.
I have anccountant who is unable to do very much other than send me his annual bill. Financial planners have also been unable to give me any confidence that they are doing anything other than gambling my Hard Earned$ away. Whilst they post on instagram, wearing all white, from the decks of their yachts and flybridge cruisers.
Not that I'm one to stereotype...

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
HI - there is a logical AND - less than 9 and and less than 1000kgs (metric ton) in the last sentence.
The sentence above there is an OR - this means if at least one of both is true. What is right?

in my opinion - a 2 seater Quartermaster would be more sensible. The rear Seats are anyway rather uncomfortable. or the Driver and co driver sit relatively forward and also not really convenient. A 2 seater would perhaps allow more payload and may be eligible to meet the 1ton plus requirement. -

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
HI - there is a logical AND - less than 9 and and less than 1000kgs (metric ton) in the last sentence.
The sentence above there is an OR - this means if at least one of both is true. What is right?

in my opinion - a 2 seater Quartermaster would be more sensible. The rear Seats are anyway rather uncomfortable. or the Driver and co driver sit relatively forward and also not really convenient. A 2 seater would perhaps allow more payload and may be eligible to meet the 1ton plus requirement. -

1689674620815.png

Back
Top Bottom