The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Dealer inventory increasing… good or bad?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Mine is also ordered from Rusnak and has a two contrasting roof. If this is really causing a 4 month delay then I might call tomorrow and drop the white roof.
My 4 month production delay was Sept-January, I'm certainly not saying that it is the same currently for new orders

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Back to the original topic.. I learned of the IG less than a month ago, called Mossy in Houston and they said they had vehicles on the lot and to go on line. There were a few on the dealer website but the bulk of the inventory is on CarGurus.com I was surprised I could just buy one without waiting. I have to agree that seeing the inventory grow is a little disconcerting. Right now Mossy has 84 units available several of which have been on the lot for more than 60 days. They are also getting new vehicles all the time. I have no idea how many they have sold. I think they will do very well in Texas. We don't overland much but we hunt/fish year round.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Back to the original topic.. I learned of the IG less than a month ago, called Mossy in Houston and they said they had vehicles on the lot and to go on line. There were a few on the dealer website but the bulk of the inventory is on CarGurus.com I was surprised I could just buy one without waiting. I have to agree that seeing the inventory grow is a little disconcerting. Right now Mossy has 84 units available several of which have been on the lot for more than 60 days. They are also getting new vehicles all the time. I have no idea how many they have sold. I think they will do very well in Texas. We don't overland much but we hunt/fish year round.
Hi GN4
Can you say if those vehicles have tow hitches, lockers, and all the other extras that many buyers want? I note in the UK that the majority of units for sale are not highly specced.
One other thing to add. In my view, this is not a vehicle to purchase for just a couple of years. It is more suited to the longer term where depreciation is less important.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
I think we have two separate and different effects going on here. First, in general, demand for cars has softened because of interest rates, and in the case of EVs, well because of all the reasons we know and read in the media. I have seen in general cars piling up in all dealership lots. The second effect of course would be specific to Greanadiers. It will depend on how well they are able to tap into a pretty narrow demographic of customers that have the means, understanding and disposition for a unique car that might have some growing pains but has a fantastic appeal.
On that point, for instance, other than dealership people, I don't think I have seen a woman post in this forum. That should tell us something about the narrow dimensionality of their addressable market.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It was the same here in the UK, quite a lot changed their minds after pre-order. I managed to get one of these vehicles. Which I am very happy with, wasn't my preferred colour, and it has the cream seats which I didn't really want. But it's great.

IdahoGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Great question. As I mature in car taste, I'd like something that is versatile and also unique. Seems this car will be a sturdy companion for the next 20 years. That's my initial interest.
If you want the car for 20 years, why do you care about resale? When I bought my FJ Cruiser 17 years ago, I knew I'd have it until the wheels fell off, so I didn't worry about what I did to it. Great ownership experience. Took my Grenadier out into the shit the first weekend I owned it and everyone was shocked to see I'd muddied up my new car. That's what it's for!

Joefly78

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I think we have two separate and different effects going on here. First, in general, demand for cars has softened because of interest rates, and in the case of EVs, well because of all the reasons we know and read in the media. I have seen in general cars piling up in all dealership lots. The second effect of course would be specific to Greanadiers. It will depend on how well they are able to tap into a pretty narrow demographic of customers that have the means, understanding and disposition for a unique car that might have some growing pains but has a fantastic appeal.
On that point, for instance, other than dealership people, I don't think I have seen a woman post in this forum. That should tell us something about the narrow dimensionality of their addressable market.
You raise a good point about women. Totally anecdotal data here, but of the 4 women I know that have checked this thing out in detail (3 of which had one on order through their husbands, me being one) could not tolerate the interior. Hard no. I didn't even think about it until discussions came up with them. It's very utilitarian, and tastes vary, but the general point was that it's just not posh enough for a vehicle of this price.

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi GN4
Can you say if those vehicles have tow hitches, lockers, and all the other extras that many buyers want? I note in the UK that the majority of units for sale are not highly specced.
One other thing to add. In my view, this is not a vehicle to purchase for just a couple of years. It is more suited to the longer term where depreciation is less important.

The vehicles at Mossy's run the gamut. They have a handful of base models but the majority are well optioned with a few with just about everything on them. From the buyer's perspective it is a good selection.

J&J

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I actually ordered two. The second one was a result of my second guessing the first choice…..well….ultimately I stayed with the first one and advised both Ineos and the dealer to cancel the second order. To my surprise they did not cancel the second order and even told me I could change my mind and go back to #2. Basically I added to the local Houston inventory.

Local time
Reaction score
My preorder arrived 3 months ago and I finally noticed it in he list of units for sale at the dealer. Its spec’d right, so that’s not the issue. It seems Dealer inventory may be at 90+ days at this point. That threshold does not bring dealers joy.

If they started to tsb fix the issues, release the manual they have (not having one is a bs story) and move to open a few service centers, I’d pick it up, but to be frank, their inventory issue isn’t with the dreamers like me that took a step back due to the product not matching their dream, it’s the price point it sits in vs all the amenities and finish available to the typical consumer with a Lexus, LC, LR, etc. If one doesn’t buy into the aesthetic, it’s a stupid purchase. There’s a reason LR kept the real defender a low volume proposition in the 90’s. Exclusivity was really its only virtue. That’s why I had one.

Unfortunately I don’t think the cost of returning to the original vision just to reel in the likes of me, while doable, brings much in return. Too few of me left to tap, and while the like minded buyers would be happy, well, Ineos already has your money and commitment.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are a few of us on here gentlemen ;).
Outside of those of “us” in the know (and original reservation holders), I haven’t seen any commercial ads regarding the Grenadier. Could Ineos be building up inventory prior to a marketing campaign? Shipping over “inventory” along with reservations. Also still sorting out the issues of warranty work, road side assistance (yes that has been solved), etc prior to marketing. Dealers still seem to working issues out.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You raise a good point about women. Totally anecdotal data here, but of the 4 women I know that have checked this thing out in detail (3 of which had one on order through their husbands, me being one) could not tolerate the interior. Hard no. I didn't even think about it until discussions came up with them. It's very utilitarian, and tastes vary, but the general point was that it's just not posh enough for a vehicle of this price.
Not all women want posh. I turned down a ‘97 Discovery because of the walnut inlay “upgrade” - stuck with my ‘96 SE7 and still have her 289k miles later (also a 5 sp manual). 🥰the simplicity of the “G” interior.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not all women want posh. I turned down a ‘97 Discovery because of the walnut inlay “upgrade” - stuck with my ‘96 SE7 and still have her 289k miles later (also a 5 sp manual). 🥰the simplicity of the “G” interior.
You are in the minority and it makes you all the more interesting for it. 😊

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am happy to stand corrected about my erroneous assumption regarding women on this forum! :)

Local time
Reaction score
I’m not certain why his posse didn’t like the interior unless it’s because they are accustomed to higher end vehicles. It perfectly situated in the mid tier. But to my point, the price isn’t mid tier, and if someone isn’t an old school 4x4 fanboi(woman) and merely comparison shopping with a new defender or LC, it’s not a selling point. Personally, I love the switches even if they are “fake” and part of a shitty pcb. I like to flick shit and play with it.

Local time
Reaction score
There are a few of us on here gentlemen ;).
If you didn’t want the attention, you shouldn’t a gone and done that.

The only time I saw a woman’s identity work out well on a “man’s” hobby sight was …. My dad.

His name was Lynn. Someone on the Fish Erie board assume he was a she, and he ran with it. Good fishing holes are always a secret, and locals try to hide when there are runs on… except apparently if they think you are a hot chick. So, he’d pretend he was a babe, and get them to tell him where and where, and that he would meet them to fish. He’d go and never talk to anyone there, and make excuses as to why “she” didn’t make it late.

He was 79 doing this shit. Pure genius if you ask me.

Other than that, the non stop flirting and attention drove 9 of 10 away women away from the sites going back to early 90s mailing lists. I hope you’re ready!

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you didn’t want the attention, you shouldn’t a gone and done that.

The only time I saw a woman’s identity work out well on a “man’s” hobby sight was …. My dad.

His name was Lynn. Someone on the Fish Erie board assume he was a she, and he ran with it. Good fishing holes are always a secret, and locals try to hide when there are runs on… except apparently if they think you are a hot chick. So, he’d pretend he was a babe, and get them to tell him where and where, and that he would meet them to fish. He’d go and never talk to anyone there, and make excuses as to why “she” didn’t make it late.

He was 79 doing this shit. Pure genius if you ask me.

Other than that, the non stop flirting and attention drove 9 of 10 away women away from the sites going back to early 90s mailing lists. I hope you’re ready!
That's hilarious!

Back to the original topic on this thread, I would love to learn more about Ineos marketing plans. If anyone runs into any articles or interviews, please post them.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just started a new thread on the "Pub" forum -- advertising here in case you don't visit there often.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's hilarious!

Back to the original topic on this thread, I would love to learn more about Ineos marketing plans. If anyone runs into any articles or interviews, please post them.
Once he gets settled in, maybe @Stu_Barnes can chime in. He spoke to some IA folks at OEW this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom