The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Dealer inventory increasing… good or bad?

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading and noticing a substantial uptick on dealership inventory. I’d love to hear your thoughts about this, is it good or bad? Obviously I understand it is a question of stock vs flow, however all I can see is is the stock not the flow. Does anyone know how quickly the inventory is moving? That would give us a sense of penetration, adoption and success, which will be key to the longevity of the brand.
I’m about to pull the trigger tomorrow so these last minute thoughts are probably associated with some jitters…

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading and noticing a substantial uptick on dealership inventory. I’d love to hear your thoughts about this, is it good or bad? Obviously I understand it is a question of stock vs flow, however all I can see is is the stock not the flow. Does anyone know how quickly the inventory is moving? That would give us a sense of penetration, adoption and success, which will be key to the longevity of the brand.
I’m about to pull the trigger tomorrow so these last minute thoughts are probably associated with some jitters…
What would keep you from pulling the trigger?

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I’m worried the increased inventory is due to lack of interest. Not having a dealership nearby to kick the tires I am worried the increased inventory is coming from people that walk away when they see them. Granted, I’m probably paranoid but want to cover all bases. Makes sense?

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello,

I've seen few cars becoming available here in San Diego - but that is a bit expected. Some people will change their mind. I was a bit surprised that Ineos did not force us to legally bind by the pre-order contract - that you can still cancel. Regardless, I want my IG and will wait for it.

I looked at the Rubicon and other off-road capable vehicles. I initially considered the Defender until my wife bought the RR Sports Dynamic last year. But the Defender is just not rugged enough for me. I wanted a more rugged looking/feeling vehicle. And the IG is it. So there there will be some noise from this forum - positive and and some just honest and down to earth observations. I listen to folks like GRNAMIN, KB6THO, and other folks sharing very positive experiences. And I always look for their comments. They make me more and more excited about my vehicle! Any day now!!!

Cheers my friend :)

greNYdier

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much to read into just yet... in the U.S. market, Ineos did not require pre-order customers to sign a purchase contract and/or put down non-refundable cash deposits ahead of delivery to the dealer network. As such, it should be expected that, over the first year, a good number of pre-order customers elect to not take delivery. Some pre-order customers may have only been curious about the Grenadier and wanted an option on securing a test drive and/or taking an early model... In my case, I paused on taking delivery of my pre-order as I ended up not loving my color choice... the delivered unit looked very different in person versus the online visualization tool (and I'm hoping that someone walks a way from a Grenadier with my build spec in Donny Gray). Hopefully, dealers having some available inventory will help develop follow-on demand from folks not willing to wait another eight months for a new order to be delivered. Also, having surplus vehicles might allow for dealers to keep some as dedicated test drive units and/or "loaners" for customers with warranty repairs that crop up (as this is still a first generation vehicle).

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I’m worried the increased inventory is due to lack of interest. Not having a dealership nearby to kick the tires I am worried the increased inventory is coming from people that walk away when they see them. Granted, I’m probably paranoid but want to cover all bases. Makes sense?
What is/are your interest/s in the Grenadier?

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've seen few cars becoming available here in San Diego - but that is a bit expected. Some people will change their mind. I was a bit surprised that Ineos did not force us to legally bind by the pre-order contract - that you can still cancel. Regardless, I want my IG and will wait for it.

I looked at the Rubicon and other off-road capable vehicles. I initially considered the Defender until my wife bought the RR Sports Dynamic last year. But the Defender is just not rugged enough for me. I wanted a more rugged looking/feeling vehicle. And the IG is it. So there there will be some noise from this forum - positive and and some just honest and down to earth observations. I listen to folks like GRNAMIN, KB6THO, and other folks sharing very positive experiences. And I always look for their comments. They make me more and more excited about my vehicle! Any day now!!!

Cheers my friend :)
Thanks! Agree with all you said.

My biggest fear is that this is not a $10k bet on a car that might or might be there in a few years. I have had a few such bets (my RRC comes to mind) but nothing at the $90k level bet we are putting on the IG. Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I feel like a bride have a few second thoughts the night before the wedding. :)

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great question. As I mature in car taste, I'd like something that is versatile and also unique. Seems this car will be a sturdy companion for the next 20 years. That's my initial interest.
What is your interest in 4x4 vehicles? What is your experience?

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is your interest in 4x4 vehicles? What is your experience?
Honestly, limited. A few simple and medium level trails in Northern California. I love the outdoors, I am heavily involved in Boy Scouts. So, definitely less of a hard core trail guy and more of a seasoned outdoor type. I don't think I am the type that will test the IG to its limits.
Some of my previous cars have always had a niche-y element to them. Just sold a Lotus Elise I had for 12 years. Loved that car but seems time for something different. The 1990 RRC is a great daily driver but I wouldn't take it to the Sierra or a trail. It has 220k miles and while reliable around town, I know I am always one hose or thermostat failure away from going back to the shop.
Btw, I truly appreciate the questions. What are your thoughts so far on the IG? You already have one?

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks! Agree with all you said.

My biggest fear is that this is not a $10k bet on a car that might or might be there in a few years. I have had a few such bets (my RRC comes to mind) but nothing at the $90k level bet we are putting on the IG. Don't get me wrong, I love the car. I feel like a bride have a few second thoughts the night before the wedding. :)

Right on! My grandson is 9 yo now. I say that he will probably own this car, in say...10-15 years or so? My wife already told our kids who's getting it, and the car is not even here yet!!! But, it will be a family keeper :)

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Honestly, limited. A few simple and medium level trails in Northern California. I love the outdoors, I am heavily involved in Boy Scouts. So, definitely less of a hard core trail guy and more of a seasoned outdoor type. I don't think I am the type that will test the IG to its limits.
Some of my previous cars have always had a niche-y element to them. Just sold a Lotus Elise I had for 12 years. Loved that car but seems time for something different. The 1990 RRC is a great daily driver but I wouldn't take it to the Sierra or a trail. It has 220k miles and while reliable around town, I know I am always one hose or thermostat failure away from going back to the shop.
Btw, I truly appreciate the questions. What are your thoughts so far on the IG? You already have one?
I am the proud owner of a Queen's Red Fieldmaster essentially fully equipped (can't recall what I didn't get) of 2 months duration. My background - dreamed of a Defender (90/110) since I was a child ... just loved the appearance and mystic associated with them. Wasn't able to get one of the 500 110s imported in early 90's nor the 90. But at the first opportunity (result of being T-boned going thru an intersection with 2 cars totaled) of getting a Discovery I was there (had been following the news that "the British were coming" for about a yr before). With my '96 5 speed manual, I understand why people comment on wanting to be buried in there vehicle - she's "hand in glove" for me (esp being a manual). She's been truly off road only 1 time (Uwharrie National Forest for a Rover Convention many a moon ago). Like you I quickly recognized I was but one thing back to the shop and she was my primary drive. 282k miles later, I kept her and sold the '22 Tiguan with no issues. She's a Sunday drive/ around town/ occasional round trips to NC. She's never let me down and I respect her.
My heart was broken when LRJ retired the Defender (current market vehicle is well ... ) and heard that there was talk of "resurrection" but got busy with Life and forgot about things. Oct 2021, that flame burned bright again for wanting something that screams legacy/ toughness/ etc. Visited a refurbish shop and realized that a vehicle 25 yrs old as a minimum just wasn't going to meet my heart's desire (especially on considering my own dear Discovery was 25!). The owner reminded me that the Grenadier was in development and that there was a "interest/ wait list" deadline closing soon. I couldn't get home fast enough (2 hr drive). A google search and 15 min after getting home I had placed my $450 "reservation" deposit. Then I waited. And waited. And waited like so many others. Kept checking prices in AU. Once released ordering available in UK checked those prices. Had a trip to Edinburgh scheduled for Sept 2023 and was looking to see where the dealer was so I could test drive one - Ineos was behind on getting models into the UK and and had to cancel the trip due to flight delay - all things work out. Summer 2023 I was in London for 2 days - figured out where the London dealer was and several tube transfers later and a walk I was sitting behind the wheel of a RHD model, asking questions, etc I didn't want to leave!! That was June/July. Within a month, I configured my personal G and waited again. When vehicles started arriving in the US and much discussion on this Forum regarding "issues" I could feel the doubts creeping in as to whether I would continue to the finish line. While some issues are real, much seemed to be people's personal expectations not being met - expecting more than what was clearly advertised? I kept reminding myself, this was a brand new auto company and I was willing to be a guinea pig for the honour of owning a vehicle that would meet some childhood dreams and the vast majority of Forum members were positive.
My Discovery is an SE7 - leather seats etc. But her dash is simple. No flashing stuff. I was offered the opportunity to move to a auto '97 Discovery model with "wood inlay" ... it destroyed the look of what a Discovery was to me. Stuck with my girl 💜.

If you are looking for plush interior with all modern bells and whistles, rapid response steering, etc this is not the vehicle for you - go look at a modern day Defender if you also want a true off road ability. Will definitely fit any Boy Scout needs. If you are willing to live with a 1st generation vehicle from a brand new automotive company for which both the vehicle and company have glitches and challenges AND want a "niche-y" vehicle - go for it!! I swear there are times I think there she has a mind of her own as to amber lights going on / off. 4k miles down the road though its smooth riding and selfishly knowing I'm a "Unicorn" on the road!!🦄

PS - my dealer is 3+ hrs away, their mechanics are trained to repair Bentleys. The G has a BMW engine. With exception of warranty work, I'm having my G serviced at a 4x4 independent shop with BMW experience. They are only an hr away. Perhaps this helps you too.

PPS - Love all the feedback that the people on this Forum offer!! They are definitely a lifeline of physical and emotional support!

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi C64_forever, All of us at one time or another had doubts, however for most of us we carried on and are glad we did. I am coming out of a new 2020 Defender, which has been an incredible vehicle, especially on road. The Grenadier is a completely different vehicle. I have only owned mine since March 7th, so I have only had limited time in mine. On road it has more of a truck feel than the new Defender, however it is suitable as both a daily driver and for long trips. Off-road is where it shines and where it likes to be. I have come to realize that this is an incredible specialty vehicle that Sir Jim Ratcliffe created for himself and I am honored and glad to be along for the ride. DaBull

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is an expensive vehicle, one which the purchase of is not entered into lightly. I'd also argue that this isn't a logical vehicle purchase by most measures. Whether you buy it because it's unique, you love the looks or you want the capability - it's not a purchase, for the most part, of necessity.

Mine is my daily driver, I intend to own it for a good long time. I don't wish it was more like any other vehicle on the road - I accept and enjoy it for what it is, as well as for what it isn't.

Ownership, for the foreseeable future is to be a labor of love. I've been to the dealer twice - once for a ~500 mile oil change and once for a windshield replacement and to have my trailer hitch installed. That software update resolved quite a few things. The ADAS alert no longer goes off and I've noticed the car complains a lot less about EDC/ADAS related things. That could be down to the ADAS calibration done when the windshield was replaced, or a software update. I just don't know as no release notes were provided.

I'm confident that me or my local European shop can take care of most needs, and in an extreme, I'll make the 200 mile run to Philadelphia where the dealership is. Like you, I hear word that a local dealership will be in my area (DC Metro) "soon".

That's cool.

All that to say - it's not a logical purchase and easy to talk yourself out of. I know plenty of people who have. But if you are passionate about this vehicle, still love it after driving it and are willing to accept the quirks of owning a car from a new mfgrs that nobody has ever heard.of - it just might be the car for you.

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses thus far. The IG seems indeed a choice car, niche-y, fun and potentially quirky. All good stuff. The camaraderie in this forum reminds me of the good old days in some watch forums in the early 2000s. Let's hope we can keep it going.

I shall report tomorrow -- the guys at Rusnak have provided excellent communication thus far.

We should start thinking of a Northern Cal IG meet....

Jack123

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is an expensive vehicle, one which the purchase of is not entered into lightly. I'd also argue that this isn't a logical vehicle purchase by most measures. Whether you buy it because it's unique, you love the looks or you want the capability - it's not a purchase, for the most part, of necessity.

Mine is my daily driver, I intend to own it for a good long time. I don't wish it was more like any other vehicle on the road - I accept and enjoy it for what it is, as well as for what it isn't.

Ownership, for the foreseeable future is to be a labor of love. I've been to the dealer twice - once for a ~500 mile oil change and once for a windshield replacement and to have my trailer hitch installed. That software update resolved quite a few things. The ADAS alert no longer goes off and I've noticed the car complains a lot less about EDC/ADAS related things. That could be down to the ADAS calibration done when the windshield was replaced, or a software update. I just don't know as no release notes were provided.

I'm confident that me or my local European shop can take care of most needs, and in an extreme, I'll make the 200 mile run to Philadelphia where the dealership is. Like you, I hear word that a local dealership will be in my area (DC Metro) "soon".

That's cool.

All that to say - it's not a logical purchase and easy to talk yourself out of. I know plenty of people who have. But if you are passionate about this vehicle, still love it after driving it and are willing to accept the quirks of owning a car from a new mfgrs that nobody has ever heard.of - it just might be the car for you.

Love your post Adam! Exactly how I feel. Thanks so much!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'll toss in my 10 cents on the additional orders. Two things, I was speaking to my dealer yesterday and they have a custom versions that checked off many of my boxes but ended up with the black/white leather with Saddle leather steering wheel. The guy turned it down because he has another one coming that is different later on this year. Makes you think people made changes via the web and Ineos said just ship it. The second thought is at least here in America, there was so much nonsense around the steering. Now the YouTube crowd are starting to produce videos showing positive experience. You are seeing the comments change from, who would make the steering so old school to this is great that this truck is built so tough and simple. I say feds cut rates and you get a run on the Grenadier.

Last edited:

grenexplorer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a Queen's Red Fieldmaster essentially fully equipped (can't recall what I didn't get) of 2 months duration. My background - dreamed of a Defender (90/110) since I was a child ... just loved the appearance and mystic associated with them. Wasn't able to get one of the 500 110s imported in early 90's nor the 90. But at the first opportunity (result of being T-boned going thru an intersection with 2 cars totaled) of getting a Discovery I was there (had been following the news that "the British were coming" for about a yr before). With my '96 5 speed manual, I understand why people comment on wanting to be buried in there vehicle - she's "hand in glove" for me (esp being a manual). She's been truly off road only 1 time (Uwharrie National Forest for a Rover Convention many a moon ago). Like you I quickly recognized I was but one thing back to the shop and she was my primary drive. 282k miles later, I kept her and sold the '22 Tiguan with no issues. She's a Sunday drive/ around town/ occasional round trips to NC. She's never let me down and I respect her.
My heart was broken when LRJ retired the Defender (current market vehicle is well ... ) and heard that there was talk of "resurrection" but got busy with Life and forgot about things. Oct 2021, that flame burned bright again for wanting something that screams legacy/ toughness/ etc. Visited a refurbish shop and realized that a vehicle 25 yrs old as a minimum just wasn't going to meet my heart's desire (especially on considering my own dear Discovery was 25!). The owner reminded me that the Grenadier was in development and that there was a "interest/ wait list" deadline closing soon. I couldn't get home fast enough (2 hr drive). A google search and 15 min after getting home I had placed my $450 "reservation" deposit. Then I waited. And waited. And waited like so many others. Kept checking prices in AU. Once released ordering available in UK checked those prices. Had a trip to Edinburgh scheduled for Sept 2023 and was looking to see where the dealer was so I could test drive one - Ineos was behind on getting models into the UK and and had to cancel the trip due to flight delay - all things work out. Summer 2023 I was in London for 2 days - figured out where the London dealer was and several tube transfers later and a walk I was sitting behind the wheel of a RHD model, asking questions, etc I didn't want to leave!! That was June/July. Within a month, I configured my personal G and waited again. When vehicles started arriving in the US and much discussion on this Forum regarding "issues" I could feel the doubts creeping in as to whether I would continue to the finish line. While some issues are real, much seemed to be people's personal expectations not being met - expecting more than what was clearly advertised? I kept reminding myself, this was a brand new auto company and I was willing to be a guinea pig for the honour of owning a vehicle that would meet some childhood dreams and the vast majority of Forum members were positive.
My Discovery is an SE7 - leather seats etc. But her dash is simple. No flashing stuff. I was offered the opportunity to move to a auto '97 Discovery model with "wood inlay" ... it destroyed the look of what a Discovery was to me. Stuck with my girl 💜.

If you are looking for plush interior with all modern bells and whistles, rapid response steering, etc this is not the vehicle for you - go look at a modern day Defender if you also want a true off road ability. Will definitely fit any Boy Scout needs. If you are willing to live with a 1st generation vehicle from a brand new automotive company for which both the vehicle and company have glitches and challenges AND want a "niche-y" vehicle - go for it!! I swear there are times I think there she has a mind of her own as to amber lights going on / off. 4k miles down the road though its smooth riding and selfishly knowing I'm a "Unicorn" on the road!!🦄

PS - my dealer is 3+ hrs away, their mechanics are trained to repair Bentleys. The G has a BMW engine. With exception of warranty work, I'm having my G serviced at a 4x4 independent shop with BMW experience. They are only an hr away. Perhaps this helps you too.

PPS - Love all the feedback that the people on this Forum offer!! They are definitely a lifeline of physical and emotional support!
What shop do you use for service? I’m assuming they’re in Richmond with them being an hour away.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
Hi C64
If your thoughts are of owning this vehicle for a long time and you are fully aware it is not competition for a modern SUV but at the same time, it is great at what it was designed for; press the button and buy it. Nearly 12 months down the line and 9000 miles I have absolutely no regrets. It is comfortable enough on road that I am happy to do 600 miles in a day if required but at the same time, climbing into my wife’s BMW X3 feels like getting into an ultra smooth limousine. None of that phases me. I just love owning my Grenadier.

Back
Top Bottom