The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

CTEK SMARTPASS 120S and 250SE DC to DC charger basic features and install information

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
I just finished installing the D250SE and a couple of odd things. First connected via CTEK busbars, grounded - terminal to battery and did not hook up the charge voltage (black) nor red ignition trigger as battery is wet and it is still not clear to me the fate of the red wire (smart alternator).

Once complete I did get some warning lights as others have experienced and after short drive and a turn off/restart cycle all went out except the lower right hand exclamation sign inside the triangle-nothing popping up on the center screen. One other thing I noticed is that the Offroad screen now shows my battery charge at 100% which I have never seen before and doesn't sound right to me.

Has anyone else experienced this set of symptoms after installing or have any insight into what I might be looking at? Otherwise everything seems to be fine and I am not noticing anything when driving it.

Thanks
Mine went in fine, I also do not have the smart alternator cable connected (I gather this is what you mean?).
Exclamation sign indicates a service battery connection issue, but this is top left.
Perhaps you could post a photo of your function indicators?

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Mine went in fine, I also do not have the smart alternator cable connected (I gather this is what you mean?).
Exclamation sign indicates a service battery connection issue, but this is top left.
Perhaps you could post a photo of your function indicators?
Go figure, I went out to take a picture and after sitting for a couple hours it has cleared! I did a video on the install and will post that this weekend.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Ive used a CTEK 250 in my land drover defender for 8 years.. No problems.
Lucky you.
My own experience with CTEK quality is different: CTEK Quality&Service
This, however, has not prevented me from buying a 250SE (but still sitting on the shelf...) to match it with the 120, although I don't think the solution technically is the best that's possible...

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What kind/brand of solar panel will fit the 250SE? I read the input must not be over 23Volt. What does that mean considering the size of the panel? Do I need a MPPT?
Never was interested in solar for my Defender before, so help much appreciated, especially with links to german suppliers.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What kind/brand of solar panel will fit the 250SE? I read the input must not be over 23Volt. What does that mean considering the size of the panel? Do I need a MPPT?
Never was interested in solar for my Defender before, so help much appreciated, especially with links to german suppliers.
Starting off I am no expert on solar power. I am pairing this with a Bluetti PV200 portable solar panel. The CTEK has an input voltage of 11.5-23.0 volts and the Bluetti has a voltage at max power (charging) of 20.5. Note this is not the same as VOC (open circuit voltage) which is the max voltage of a panel when no power is flowing.

I don't think i have misspoken here but perhaps a more solar savvy person could correct me if I am wrong.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another twist in the 250SE Ignition Wire conversation -

Hello Dick,

Usually the smart alternator function is not enabled on recreation vehicles. The red thin cable can be isolated but if you are unsure connect it to a 12v ignition on live signal regardless of whether there is a smart generator or not.

Med vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards,
Mikael Magnusson

servlet.ImageServer
CTEK
OFFICE
+46 10 344 88 10
Rostugnsvägen 3
776 70 VIKMANSHYTTAN | SWEDEN
WWW.CTEK.COM

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
Starting off I am no expert on solar power. I am pairing this with a Bluetti PV200 portable solar panel. The CTEK has an input voltage of 11.5-23.0 volts and the Bluetti has a voltage at max power (charging) of 20.5. Note this is not the same as VOC (open circuit voltage) which is the max voltage of a panel when no power is flowing.

I don't think i have misspoken here but perhaps a more solar savvy person could correct me if I am wrong.
This may help

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is what I did before buying:
  1. How much space on the roof rack do I want to use for a solar panel (or you can buy a folding solar blanket and carry it). For me that was a solar panel round 160W;
  2. Check the max open circuit voltage did not exceed 23 volts, which is required to work with CTEK250SE (this was the hardest thing to find with a 160W solar panel);
  3. Find a panel made from Grade A Monocrystalline solar cells;
  4. Check the short circuit current was higher than the highest current at PMAX (so I did not need to use a fuse on the wiring). If it does exceed, use an inline fuse to the CTEK250SE;
  5. Look at cost and quality of the panel. Luckily, I found one in Australia.
Sorry, I cannot help with German suppliers. In Australia I would say speak to your local 4X4 Shop.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This may help
Thanks for posting this but I guess I am still a bit confused. According to the description the panel will never output the VOC as that is an
open circuit. Once the panel is attached to a load (the MPPT or other controller) my understanding is that the VMP (or voltage output at max power) is the most the CTEK or any other charge controller would see, hence the max VMP for the CTEK is 23 V.

Did I miss something here? I am seeing that VOC is the measurement but I am not sure why-is this because the unit will cease to charge the battery if it is 100% thus reducing the load and simply circulate the power back to the panel which would allow the higher VOC?

Last edited:

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Another twist in the 250SE Ignition Wire conversation -

Hello Dick,

Usually the smart alternator function is not enabled on recreation vehicles. The red thin cable can be isolated but if you are unsure connect it to a 12v ignition on live signal regardless of whether there is a smart generator or not.

Med vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards,
Mikael Magnusson

servlet.ImageServer
CTEK
OFFICE
+46 10 344 88 10
Rostugnsvägen 3
776 70 VIKMANSHYTTAN | SWEDEN
WWW.CTEK.COM
The same guy recommended me to install 2x250SE instead of 250+120 when using a Li service battery...

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So confirming VOC is the volt limit for the charge controller (thanks everyone for leading me to the answer!) the CTEK is a pretty limited tool from the solar standpoint, my panels are rated higher (26) which means if I use them I guess I am rolling the bones as to not damaging the unit. Conversely I see the Goal Zero panels have VOC of 23 and would work so there are options. I am likely to switch panels just to ensure I don't start damaging things.

Are there other portable units that people have found that would work with the 250?

Addition- I just saw the EcoFlow panels work as well.

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Redarc is a good choice, just pricey. I was looking at the 180W Redarc panel.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So confirming VOC is the volt limit for the charge controller (thanks everyone for leading me to the answer!) the CTEK is a pretty limited tool from the solar standpoint, my panels are rated higher (26) which means if I use them I guess I am rolling the bones as to not damaging the unit. Conversely I see the Goal Zero panels have VOC of 23 and would work so there are options. I am likely to switch panels just to ensure I don't start damaging things.

Are there other portable units that people have found that would work with the 250?

Addition- I just saw the EcoFlow panels work as well.
Sure, I’m running a 240W Redarc solar blanket that maxes out at 21.5V open circuit voltage.

Redarc 240W solar blanket

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Redarc is a good choice, just pricey. I was looking at the 180W panel.
Agreed, but it fits like a hand in glove on my tent as far as maximizing usable solar space. That's a key reason why I went with it.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 PM
Reaction score
I saw the blankets were lower than the folding ones. Mine has to move between vehicles unfortunately.
So if the VOC is too high for the Ctek 250SE then maybe it’s easier to use folding/suitcase style solar panels with inbuilt mppt controllers as I do. This would then make it easier to move between vehicles as you require 🤔

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So if the VOC is too high for the Ctek 250SE then maybe it’s easier to use folding/suitcase style solar panels with inbuilt mppt controllers as I do. This would then make it easier to move between vehicles as you require 🤔
Noting that the solar blanket mentioned is also available bundled with a mppt controller.
This is what we were using prior to installing the D250SE, I was clamping it onto the auxiliary battery and the Smartpass was working things out from there.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Other than price, is there a reason I’m missing not to switch away from the CTEK system? I looked at Redarc, and though the charging amperage was less than the smartpass and 250 combo, it had a lot more customization options, and eliminates the trickle charge feature of the smartpass. Maybe warranty concerns?…

Back
Top Bottom