The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Compressor - mobile or built-in, which is preferable?

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

we are 4x4 rookies - as we said when we joined the forum - but it's never too late to start a new chapter. So far we've been able to pick up a few suggestions, ideas and tips, but there's one question we can't get any further with without support.

We now want to start slowly with 4x4 (more intensively from next year, when we will have more time) and are not sure whether a compressor (e.g. ARB or similar) should be permanently installed or whether a mobile version is sufficient, as it is not needed all the time.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Can a mobile compressor be retrofitted or do compressors differ from the outset depending on their original use?
Single or double compressor?

Black Sheep's solution, removable installation in the spare wheel compartment, would somehow kill both birds with one stone, but would then be an additional effort each time with installation and removal.

We look forward to any information/opinions/experience on this subject, thank you very much. :D(y)

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
The model and brand of the compressor is probably the most important, not whether it is installed or portable.

ARB is leading brand of compressor. I prefer the dual compressor for speed and redundancy. I had mine for 12 years, never had a single problem. The new one for the Genadier goes in next week.

ARB have portable and installable versions of the same compressor, single or double..

Reactions: IGL

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

we are 4x4 rookies - as we said when we joined the forum - but it's never too late to start a new chapter. So far we've been able to pick up a few suggestions, ideas and tips, but there's one question we can't get any further with without support.

We now want to start slowly with 4x4 (more intensively from next year, when we will have more time) and are not sure whether a compressor (e.g. ARB or similar) should be permanently installed or whether a mobile version is sufficient, as it is not needed all the time.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Can a mobile compressor be retrofitted or do compressors differ from the outset depending on their original use?
Single or double compressor?

Black Sheep's solution, removable installation in the spare wheel compartment, would somehow kill both birds with one stone, but would then be an additional effort each time with installation and removal.

We look forward to any information/opinions/experience on this subject, thank you very much. :D(y)
I have a single cylinder T-max compressor. It’s portable and been totally reliable on several long overlanding tours. I connect it to the jump start post under the bonnet. That being said if it breaks or fails then I will probably install a permanently mounted compressor such as an ARB. I do like the install of the double ARB installed in the left side panel where the jack is currently stored.

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

4x4Brick #1561

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
As a newbie myself I was hesitant to jump in with a dedicated compressor. I borrowed my son-in-laws dewalt and did some testing. 3-1/2 minutes (or whatever time unit the metric folks use) from 30 back to 49psi for the rear using the 120v plug-in adapter to the rear plug receptacle. Found out the 120v cord wouldn't reach the front so used the 12v plug adapter to the port in the center console to do the front tire from 30 - 42 psi in 2-1/2 minutes. Not saying it is a robust machine I'd take on a month long excursion into Big Bend but I was surprised at how much quieter it was than the old junky cheapy compressors I've used in the past. The real nice things I liked were the threaded connection to the hose so no worry about 'is it on?', it gave a read of the pressure in the tire while connected, and the dial let me set the desired PSI and it auto cut off. Probably what all the nicer ARB's do I just have no experience with those.

Attachments

• DeWalt 20v Max Inflator.jpg
    DeWalt 20v Max Inflator.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 14

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
I have installed permanently mounted compressors in all my previous vehicles, but I think i am going to stick with a nice dual compressor portable unit I picked up off Amazon. I always like the convenience of a built in compressor, but at the same time it is inconvenient if I need it for another vehicle, or get a new rig. Both get the job done, I would say no advantage to one or another other than the space savings of having to pack out a compressor every trip.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it is also the matter of how often it is going to be used.
I see lots of vehicles driving around with max tracks, shovel, axe, roof top tent and I am sure a compressor somewhere along with all the rest of the gear.
Always makes me question why carry all that weight around 365 days a year if you only go offroad on the occasional weekend and maybe a couple of weeks holiday a year.

On the other hand if you are out most weekends and every chance you get then definitely makes sense to have the compressor and everything else mounted permanently.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I switch between my Grenadier, RRC and Series LR, so I prefer a portable compressor. I have the ARB CKMTP12 and the only item I plan to add is the Indeflate 2-tire system.

IMG_6686.jpeg

Last edited:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a single cylinder T-max compressor. It’s portable and been totally reliable on several long overlanding tours. I connect it to the jump start post under the bonnet. That being said if it breaks or fails then I will probably install a permanently mounted compressor such as an ARB. I do like the install of the double ARB installed in the left side panel where the jack is currently stored.
Did you realize how well the T-max fits under the drivers seat? Just take off the unnecessary base plate and its brackets.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Did you realize how well the T-max fits under the drivers seat? Just take off the unnecessary base plate and its brackets.
I took the tool kit out from under the driver's seat and put it into the space on the rear door where the first aid kit is.
I then put the first aid kit in its place under the driver's seat, along with a snake bite kit, a pack of wet wipes and a 5.11 tactical packable light waterproof jacket.
I figure I am more likely to need quick access to those items rather than the tool kit roll.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Mine's freestanding ; I keep it in a reinforced canvas bag
Portable, so I can inflate my other vehicles scattered around my block , plus I don't have to be within hose length of someone if they need to "borrow my air" :)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a portable and cordless Makita DMP 181.

For what I've used it so far - mainly inflating all four tires from 2.5 bar to 3.2 bar - it was powerful enough. But I still want to carry out a test from zero to three bar. As soon as I have some numbers I will publish them here.

The battery is an 18V/5Ah type which is a lot. I also have a 12V charger so I am independent when traveling. Since I might want to take other 18V Makita devices with me when traveling (radio/MP3 player, lantern, angle grinder, cordless screwdriver and -ratchet), the charger was a good investment.I think that for occasional use it is quite a good solution for multiple use cases. And I like to use it for my bike, my Honda scooter or my motorcycles.

Since it is wireless, there is basically no setup time.

I am not affiliated with Makita, but I am convinced of the quality and performance. Here are the devices mentioned above and which I consider travel equipment and thus worth carrying a battery charger on a trip. The inflator is linked above.

Radio & Lantern (Radio is FM/DAB/Bluetooth/USB/Internet):
71rUTs8rPsL.jpg

Ratchet, tough, precise and strong:
2484095-l0.jpg

Angle grinder:
XXL1_makita-dga452z-akku-winkelschleifer.jpg

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a portable and cordless Makita DMP 181.

For what I've used it so far - mainly inflating all four tires from 2.5 bar to 3.2 bar - it was powerful enough. But I still want to carry out a test from zero to three bar. As soon as I have some numbers I will publish them here.

The battery is an 18V/5Ah type which is a lot. I also have a 12V charger so I am independent when traveling. Since I might want to take other 18V Makita devices with me when traveling (radio/MP3 player, lantern, angle grinder, cordless screwdriver and -ratchet), the charger was a good investment.I think that for occasional use it is quite a good solution for multiple use cases. And I like to use it for my bike, my Honda scooter or my motorcycles.

Since it is wireless, there is basically no setup time.

I am not affiliated with Makita, but I am convinced of the quality and performance. Here are the devices mentioned above and which I consider travel equipment and thus worth carrying a battery charger on a trip. The inflator is linked above.

Radio & Lantern (Radio is FM/DAB/Bluetooth/USB/Internet):
View attachment 7852249

Ratchet, tough, precise and strong:
View attachment 7852250

Angle grinder:
View attachment 7852251
I have a collection of Milwaukee for field work and a few lads use Makita both are equal, can take an absolute flogging in bad environments and are durable in the professional sense. They both generally fail the same, just stop working with no warning and maybe some smoke. I only have a battery drill, grinder, flood lights and 12v to 18v charger when travelling the rest all stay behind including impact guns. At work and travelling I rely on and get the most use from the work lights especially the ones with magnets, hook points and usb ports.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like the T-Max as a portable solution with a NATO-plug.
I will also have a look at the storage solution under the drivers seat without the base plate as posted before.

Local time
Reaction score
What Ive used...

Powertank
York engine driven
Puma with battery clips
Arb mounted (single)
Milwaukee battery.

The winner is!

Well, the caveat for me once again, is if you are using a battery powered system or not. If you're using Milwaukee 18v system and carry a battey wrench, sawzall and grinder like I do, 120 bucks for the compressor is a no brainer. Its not as fast as the york engine driven I had on the fj40 or the powertank, but, when I aired up 4 35" tires in a row, it never even got hot. It's simple, and its portable. It's lightweight, durable, handy, and It excels at one thing- conveniently filling the tires when needed. I never expected it to be a goto device, but I'm converted.

Comments.

The engine York has massive volume and can run tools, but I don't carry those anymore since the battery tools more or less caught up for light duty use. It's a boomersolution but it excels IF you have an easy way to mount it. Which you do not here. There's a product out that's way too expensive that uses a 12vdc motor on a york, but, that's high amp, has a duty cycle, incredibly heavy and flows a fraction of an engine mount unit. Kinda stupid in my book considering the modern alternatives.

The puma was and is a great product if you want clip on portability for low $$$. Mine survived a decade of use. But, once again I think there are better solutions today.

I never had a twin arb, so I cant comment on that, but the single is still in my fj60. It only runs the lockers now. It could never hang with my other alternatives, but like I said, I never had the twin.

The Powertank rocks for a dedicated weekend wheeler. Nothing can strain something without moving parts. You can buy switches to activate lockers, and its quick. The downside being training yourself to keep track of air use. There's a ton of air, but it is an expendable! I wouldn't think anyone goofy for mounting one on a grenadier if that was their preference, I just don't think the use group of the truck takes advantage of where a power tank excels v the process of keeping it running and it physical size. Got a buggy? Use a powertank.

Some people LIKE to mount things. They LIKE more switches. For me though, If I can get it done without fabricating brackets, running lines and wire, drilling holes and using space that may someday be needed for something that doesn't have an easy alternative, I'm going to avoid it.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Just to clarify: I didn't want to hijack the thread for a Makita vs. others discussion.

I was just trying to show what a setup might look like in the context of an existing infrastructure (battery chargers and batteries). This is the case for me, but for some it can be completely wrong while for others with a similar concept it might fit.

The brand is of secondary importance as long as the quality is right.

And for the sake of completeness, here is my 12V charger (for 12 and 18V batteries) which I had forgotten above.

Makita DC18SE:
makita-dc18se.jpg

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Makita idea is an option worth considering. Carrying other battery-powered machines with you that share one or two batteries makes sense. Usually, I have two strong magnetic lights, a hand drill and a vacuum cleaner on my trips. All share the same batteries which makes them more lightweight. Sometimes I carry an electric chainsaw. But this one has a different, much larger battery. I have to admit, never used the drill to make a hole but it is also very handy to make Palatschinken doe. (Hey I am from Vienna) Adding a compressor to this ecosystem would be worth considering. Unfortunately, there is non for the bosch 12v system.
PXL_20220611_162055216.jpgoriginal_dc39ef73-40d4-4245-90b3-4d61376038b6_PXL_20230317_064401535.jpgPXL_20240225_081345990.jpg

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
Just to clarify: I didn't want to hijack the thread for a Makita vs. others discussion.

I was just trying to show what a setup might look like in the context of an existing infrastructure (battery chargers and batteries). This is the case for me, but for some it can be completely wrong while for others with a similar concept it might fit.

The brand is of secondary importance as long as the quality is right.

And for the sake of completeness, here is my 12V charger (for 12 and 18V batteries) which I had forgotten above.

Makita DC18SE:
View attachment 7852438
This has my attention! So simple, and I recently bought a makita 18v chainsaw 😁👍🏼
Thanks for posting the information 🙂
Might need the compressor now too 😁🙄

Back
Top Bottom