The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch after the fact?

Carolinaride

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I am not sure which thread to post this under but my grenadier is apparently on a slow boat from Europe to the US and of course i decided i want to change something. I would like to add the wench. I originally didn’t think i would need it but am starting to rethink it and really like the way it fits in the bumper compared to my defender. Does the bumper without the wench still have the location to apply it? Any electrical issues? Thanks in advance.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
I am not sure which thread to post this under but my grenadier is apparently on a slow boat from Europe to the US and of course i decided i want to change something. I would like to add the wench. I originally didn’t think i would need it but am starting to rethink it and really like the way it fits in the bumper compared to my defender. Does the bumper without the wench still have the location to apply it? Any electrical issues? Thanks in advance.
Which Grenadier model did you order? Does it have the NATO circuit installed?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It‘s my understanding that the winch cannot be added - it must be specified and installed at the factory.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:43 AM
Reaction score
Krabby knows the US spec way better than I and he thinks no.

I have seen discussion about a third party winch offering in development. So you may have an open in the future.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you have the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel & Electrical Preparation, you are pre-wired for the winch. I believe @GPFACTOR had the opportunity to disassemble the passenger side wing and the electrics are there.

This would make fitting the factory (and aftermarket) winches much easier.

Carolinaride

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah. Sorry. Old joke in our group and i should have spelled it correctly. Force of habit. Mountain bikers have bad sense of humor. :)

Carolinaride

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you have the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel & Electrical Preparation, you are pre-wired for the winch. I believe @GPFACTOR had the opportunity to disassemble the passenger side wing and the electrics are there.

This would make fitting the factory (and aftermarket) winches much easier.
I do have that choice. Thank you.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:43 AM
Reaction score
It‘s my understanding that the winch cannot be added - it must be specified and installed at the factory.
What's preventing a person from installing and wiring a winch?
You will need a fat wire to the battery - need to check if the one in the engine compartment is fat enough, or you may extend the positive lead from the starter terminal.
Negative is also easy enough - to the forward-most earth point on the frame, or all the way to the battery if desired.
Personally, I don't like hard-wired winches without any means of disconnecting them - out of old habit of expecting the insulation to chaff on something. So you may need either a fat switch like this, or a relay carrying out the same function.
There's plenty of room inside a factory bumper for a remote-solenoid-type standard planetary winch, up to 12k lbs. You'd have to make your mounts to the frame - practically your own winch tray, cut the opening in the bumper for the fairlead, run the wire outside, and do whatever needs to be done with the solenoid block. Relocating the solenoid block will most likely need fabrication of three or four fat cables from the solenoids to the winch motor, and whatever else needed to control the solenoids. Wirelessly-controlled solenoid blocks are convenient, at the expense of some lost reliability.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What's preventing a person from installing and wiring a winch?
You will need a fat wire to the battery - need to check if the one in the engine compartment is fat enough, or you may extend the positive lead from the starter terminal.
Negative is also easy enough - to the forward-most earth point on the frame, or all the way to the battery if desired.
Personally, I don't like hard-wired winches without any means of disconnecting them - out of old habit of expecting the insulation to chaff on something. So you may need either a fat switch like this, or a relay carrying out the same function.
There's plenty of room inside a factory bumper for a remote-solenoid-type standard planetary winch, up to 12k lbs. You'd have to make your mounts to the frame - practically your own winch tray, cut the opening in the bumper for the fairlead, run the wire outside, and do whatever needs to be done with the solenoid block. Relocating the solenoid block will most likely need fabrication of three or four fat cables from the solenoids to the winch motor, and whatever else needed to control the solenoids. Wirelessly-controlled solenoid blocks are convenient, at the expense of some lost reliability.
I believe @Krabby was referring to retrofitting the Ineos winch.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe @Krabby was referring to retrofitting the Ineos winch.
Given with Ineos not manufacturing winches by themselves, I think it still applies.
I do like Ineos' approach to winch electrical arrangement, just I didn't feel it was worth $4.5k when I ordered mine (still don't).

A little caveat/edit here: I'd first make sure I am on good terms with the dealer, so a home-brewed winch install wouldn't be grounds for warranty denials later.

Back
Top Bottom