The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Which Solar Charge Controller?

malvillez

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
Which Solar Charge Controller?
I've ordered a 100w 12v monocrystalline solar panel and am looking at those 12 volt charge controller solar jobbies.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the best to go for, and whether they have differing efficiency levels, and whether a good LCD display of information is worth the extra outlay? Money is very tight (when wasn't it!) so I'd really appreciate the benefit of your wisdom.
Thank you.

Last edited:

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
Victron is very good but pricey. I've been using various iterations of EPEVER controllers on an off-grid setup. They work very well. Can't go wrong with either.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
After a bit of research, I decided to go with a Victron controller. Thanks to an eBay Christmas sale I got one for only a few dollars more than the equivalent EP Ever product. The thing I like is it has built in Bluetooth and you can monitor it using their VictronConnect smart phone app so no need for displays.

MPPT controllers are more efficient than PWM ones so worth spending a little extra to get an MPPT one.

Further details on my current set up in the following post.
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/henrys-blog.12414322/post-1333263684

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

GPFACTOR

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
The CTEK d250SE integrates very easily with the factory dual battery system.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll be going Victron for virtually all of my electrical stuff, I'll happily say I'm a fanboy, but their components have an awesome reputation, and their span of products is massive. Based on their reputation alone I went with (almost) all Victron/Blue Sea gear in our Sprinter (I've used Blue Sea stuff extensively in all my previous builds) and couldn't be happier with the results. The integration of components with monitoring (both local bluetooth and remote) makes it great.

As AJ said, if you have the factory dual battery setup, the CTEK solar charger nearly pops right in, just needing a brakcet.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
The CTEK d250SE integrates very easily with the factory dual battery system.
Indeed it does. Just check that the VOC of your panels is below the D250SE’s limit of 23v. In my case my panels were above that so I couldn’t fit one, which was why I went Victron.

Cheers
Steve

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
I have the factory dual battery and my panel VOC is 20 so going with the CTEK 250 SE. It is a portable panel, not permanent mount.

Back
Top Bottom