The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Europe Utility Trim Seats

Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
How hard is it to keep the Utility Trim seats clean? Also, how easy is it for them to get dirty? I'm trying to decide between Utility Trim and Leather seats. I had a 2020 defender that had the cloth insert around the edge of the seats and they trapped dirt and was difficult to clean, I don't want that same thing with the Grenadier.

Thanks for your help.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
How hard is it to keep the Utility Trim seats clean? Also, how easy is it for them to get dirty? I'm trying to decide between Utility Trim and Leather seats. I had a 2020 defender that had the cloth insert around the edge of the seats and they trapped dirt and was difficult to clean, I don't want that same thing with the Grenadier.

Thanks for your help.
Get leather or get a seat cover if you get utility. For seat cover, you get a discount from M&M through the forum. On defender, I bought a small hand held Bissell stain remover and that worked great.

Local time
Reaction score
Get leather or get a seat cover if you get utility. For seat cover, you get a discount from M&M through the forum. On defender, I bought a small hand held Bissell stain remover and that worked great.

Thank you very much.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score

Thanks for your help.
I have a 2020 Defender. Yes, their robustec fabric trim on the leather seats looked stained if you even got a drop of water on the fabric.
The main cause of the staining was an anti-stain treatment they put on the fabric when it was manufactured that did not adhere to the fabric because it was recycled plastic. Every time a drop of water would fall on the fabric, the treatment solution in the fabric would rise to the top of the fabric making it look stained.

Land Rover even put out a tech bulletin on it, JLRTB02070NAS1. It called out to purchase a Bissell Model No 2891 Little Green® Pet Pro Portable Carpet Cleaner. Cost was $159.99 + tax at the time. Worked fantastic. I used room temperature distilled water in it and in 20 min cleaned the robustec fabric. Each time I used it, it got rid of the fabric treatment, which was a good thing.

I use it once every 6 months or so. Makes the seats look brand new every time. I have found that each time I use it the seats are are less prone to getting stained, as by removing the anti-staining treatment with the Biissell, the seats were more and more resistant to staining, (counter intuitive). I personally like to look of the robustec trim and it still looks brand new in my Defender and has no wear. It's purpose was to keep you from chaffing the leather when you slide in and out of the leather seats and that is exactly how it has been working.

That Bissell is fantastic and I have many other uses for it. One note on the Bissell is that you do not want to bend the hose too much, especially where it connects to the Bissell, as I have read it can get overstressed and break.

I have decided to go with the all leather black option, because it looks sporty and adds just a bit of lux to the interior.
For anyone getting the seats with the fabric trim in the middle, get yourself a Bissell.
DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Defender. Yes, their robustec fabric trim on the leather seats looked stained if you even got a drop of water on the fabric.
The main cause of the staining was an anti-stain treatment they put on the fabric when it was manufactured that did not adhere to the fabric because it was recycled plastic. Every time a drop of water would fall on the fabric, the treatment solution in the fabric would rise to the top of the fabric making it look stained.

Land Rover even put out a tech bulletin on it, JLRTB02070NAS1. It called out to purchase a Bissell Model No 2891 Little Green® Pet Pro Portable Carpet Cleaner. Cost was $159.99 + tax at the time. Worked fantastic. I used room temperature distilled water in it and in 20 min cleaned the robustec fabric. Each time I used it, it got rid of the fabric treatment, which was a good thing.

I use it once every 6 months or so. Makes the seats look brand new every time. I have found that each time I use it the seats are are less prone to getting stained, as by removing the anti-staining treatment with the Biissell, the seats were more and more resistant to staining, (counter intuitive). I personally like to look of the robustec trim and it still looks brand new in my Defender and has no wear. It's purpose was to keep you from chaffing the leather when you slide in and out of the leather seats and that is exactly how it has been working.

That Bissell is fantastic and I have many other uses for it. One note on the Bissell is that you do not want to bend the hose too much, especially where it connects to the Bissell, as I have read it can get overstressed and break.

I have decided to go with the all leather black option, because it looks sporty and adds just a bit of lux to the interior.
For anyone getting the seats with the fabric trim in the middle, get yourself a Bissell.
DaBull

Thanks @DaBull. I think I am going to go with the black leather as well, but might need to pick up one of those Bissells anyways.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score

Thanks for your help.
If you’re not using seat covers, you might just find them vulnerable to wear due to the clamber into, and slide out of, the vehicle.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I feel that in todays world, synthetic materials rival "leather" for modern vehicle upholstery. Most Mfg'rs don't actually use leather of any traceable origin, so you really do not know what you have to begin with. The days of Connolly leather like in my '95 RRC LWB are long gone.

My IG will have Utility seats and waterproof covers.

Back
Top Bottom