The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Temporary roof bars

HugBE

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello community!
Like many recent Grenadier owners, I have not received my roof rack. I'm going on a raid at the end of October and I would like a "plan B" to transport my roof tent in case the roof rack is still not delivered. Is it possible to lay crossbars on the rubberized roof strips and secure them with hooks via the side bars? Has anyone already tried this solution?

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Hello community!
Like many recent Grenadier owners, I have not received my roof rack. I'm going on a raid at the end of October and I would like a "plan B" to transport my roof tent in case the roof rack is still not delivered. Is it possible to lay crossbars on the rubberized roof strips and secure them with hooks via the side bars? Has anyone already tried this solution?
Seems much like the design approach that Black Sheep has taken with their roof racks.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
It has always been said by Ineos that that was the purpose of the roof strips.

Our plan has been to use a little padding or maybe wooden slats secured across the roof via straps to support watercraft, skis, firewood, etc. We want something removable when not in use. Non slip materials like neoprene, horse stall mats, or rubberized kitchen rugs may be enough. I seem to remember that the raised center cross pattern on the roof matches the height of the roof strips. If anyone with a car can confirm this it would be appreciated. May need to protect that area. We may also have to make a low profile single front rack of the same height to allow for occasional longer items (lumber, canoe, etc).

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
IMG_8811.jpeg

Saw this the other night at the airport. They were using what appeared to be clothesline. Not sure how many of the bags made it home.

HugBE

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello,
Here is the solution I DIYed to transport the roof tent + the hi-lift. A few pieces of pine rafters, screws, glue and a few hours of work.
Certainly temporary, this DIY held up during my 3 days of 4x4 raid. Theoretically I would receive my gallery in a few weeks and I would no longer need these wooden roof bars... If any of you are interested, I am willing to pass it on for €50. To be picked up on site (Binche in Belgium). PXL_20231031_165300374.jpg
PXL_20231027_125523595.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
Here is the solution I DIYed to transport the roof tent + the hi-lift. A few pieces of pine rafters, screws, glue and a few hours of work.
Certainly temporary, this DIY held up during my 3 days of 4x4 raid. Theoretically I would receive my gallery in a few weeks and I would no longer need these wooden roof bars... If any of you are interested, I am willing to pass it on for €50. To be picked up on site (Binche in Belgium). View attachment 7831622
View attachment 7831623
Great work and a lovely theory, but if you ran up the back of another vehicle at 100kmh that would potentially become a very heavy projectile.
no insurance company would cover that and you could end up biting a pillow in prison.

HugBE

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent travail et belle théorie, mais si vous heurtiez l'arrière d'un autre véhicule à 100 km/h, cela deviendrait potentiellement un projectile très lourd.
aucune compagnie d’assurance ne couvrirait cela et vous pourriez finir par mordre votre oreiller en prison.
Potentially, any action is linked to one or more risks. This is why these should be avoided. This is why the carrying system is doubly attached to the vehicle. Side hanging bars directly to the upper crossbars (see notches in photo 1). Fix 1 = colson necklace (resistance 220N) + Fix 2 = textile strap (resistance 890N). For the rest you are right, this installation would not be appreciated by an insurance company but let's not forget that this is above all a temporary emergency solution. 😇 :)

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered the cross bars. I am looking to ditch the brackets that connect them to the gutters and find a way to connect them to the 4 sets of aluminum tubes at the roof line. Need to have the height of the cross bars set just a couple mm above the roof rubber strips in order to clear my garage door header opening. I would be great if someone made aluminum or stainless brackets that could be installed on the cross bars and attach to the aluminum tubes. I have thought of having some fabricated, however is anyone knows of any other solution, let me know. DaBull

HugBE

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered the cross bars. I am looking to ditch the brackets that connect them to the gutters and find a way to connect them to the 4 sets of aluminum tubes at the roof line. Need to have the height of the cross bars set just a couple mm above the roof rubber strips in order to clear my garage door header opening. I would be great if someone made aluminum or stainless brackets that could be installed on the cross bars and attach to the aluminum tubes. I have thought of having some fabricated, however is anyone knows of any other solution, let me know. DaBull
A start of an idea could be... http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/138/129/10/169/index.htm

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm interested in why you think this is a better solution than the engineered design with the original brackets. The aluminium tubes are not designed for the weight and stress of a loaded roof bar...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Alloy tubes don't resist forces very well. That's why boats have stainless guard rails.
And indeed , the Ineos tie down hold on tubes are not rated.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm interested in why you think this is a better solution than the engineered design with the original brackets. The aluminium tubes are not designed for the weight and stress of a loaded roof bar...
Hi DenisM & Tazzieman, The original brackets place the cross bars too high to fit in my garage. Need a lower solution. I was thinking of replacing the aluminum tubes with solid aluminum machined rod and anodize them black. I know Black Sheep attaches their rack system to the existing tubes and say both the tubes and tube attachment holders are very strong. Will need to await my Grenadier delivery before making any final decisions. Thank you for the input. DaBull

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi DenisM & Tazzieman, The original brackets place the cross bars too high to fit in my garage. Need a lower solution. I was thinking of replacing the aluminum tubes with solid aluminum machined rod and anodize them black. I know Black Sheep attaches their rack system to the existing tubes and say both the tubes and tube attachment holders are very strong. Will need to await my Grenadier delivery before making any final decisions. Thank you for the input. DaBull
Use stainless tubing

Back
Top Bottom