The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Somewhere awesome to eat it Newton Sq. PA?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Booked my test drive for 11am next Monday (11/6) at RDS (but in Newton Square, not Devon).

I'm looking for a local place to grab lunch in that area, any suggestions? I'm a big supporter of local eating and drinking establishments so I'm always looking for an amazing hole in the wall.

IrishHusker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you are looking for a legit hole in the wall (in location and great food) and you like cheesesteaks, I recommend Thunderbird. It's on West Chester Pike (same as RDS) just in the next town over.

Address
2323 West Chester Pike, Broomall, PA 19008

If you are looking for pretty good food and a local place, but nicer and more expensive. Try Firepoint Grill. It is very close to RDS, but I wouldn't classify it as a hole in the wall.

Address
3739 West Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA 19073

If these don't suit you I can come up with other recommendations. I live just down the street from RDS in Newtown Square.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
If you are looking for a legit hole in the wall (in location and great food) and you like cheesesteaks, I recommend Thunderbird. It's on West Chester Pike (same as RDS) just in the next town over.

Address

If you are looking for pretty good food and a local place, but nicer and more expensive. Try Firepoint Grill. It is very close to RDS, but I wouldn't classify it as a hole in the wall.

Address

If these don't suit you I can come up with other recommendations. I live just down the street from RDS in Newtown Square.
What is a cheese steak?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Address

Address

Looking over their menus, Thunderbird is more my style. Will gladly accept other suggestions, but if NS is your town and TB was your first instinct, that probably will be tough to beat!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am sure it tastes fantastic
I think I just gained weight looking at the pictures.
I love cheesesteaks - and Pat's is my go to if I'm in Philly (wit, wiz).

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I love cheesesteaks - and Pat's is my go to if I'm in Philly (wit, wiz).
Not to derail your thread too far, we swung through Chubby's a couple weeks ago and quite enjoyed it... Slowly expanding my Philly steak horizons

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not to derail your thread too far, we swung through Chubby's a couple weeks ago and quite enjoyed it... Slowly expanding my Philly steak horizons
As I am sure you have gleaned from the podcast, I have no issues derailing anything - even my own threads! Plus, we're talking about cheesesteaks! Well worth it.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Address

Address

Nice thing is - I can hit different joints when I am getting work done at the dealer - either hitch a loaner or grab an Uber.

IrishHusker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking over their menus, Thunderbird is more my style. Will gladly accept other suggestions, but if NS is your town and TB was your first instinct, that probably will be tough to beat!
I think you'll be happy with Thunderbird. It's the #1 place I recommend to everyone coming to Philly area but are not in the city to do Gino's or Pat's. I've got two more that are real close to RDS that give you a couple more options for when you come back for pick up/service.

The Ale House - Have to get the roast beef sandwich.
Address: 3546 West Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA 19073

Fellini Cafe - Great Italian and has large lunch portions for decent price. Might fall asleep on your drive home though.
Address: 3541 West Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA 19073

IrishHusker

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If this becomes a thread for people traveling to the Philly burbs looking for food while visiting RDS. I'll keep adding more.

If you want the real hoagie experience (not Wawa), then I recommend everyone going a little north of Newtown Square, up to Wayne to get a hoagie from John's Village Market. It's a classic local family owned Italian deli. It's the best hoagie on the main line (Philly west suburbs) for sure.

Address: 1 Pennsylvania Ave, Wayne, PA 19087

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If this becomes a thread for people traveling to the Philly burbs looking for food while visiting RDS. I'll keep adding more.

If you want the real hoagie experience (not Wawa), then I recommend everyone going a little north of Newtown Square, up to Wayne to get a hoagie from John's Village Market. It's a classic local family owned Italian deli. It's the best hoagie on the main line (Philly west suburbs) for sure.

Address: 1 Pennsylvania Ave, Wayne, PA 19087
I love a good sandwich! Will definitely check it out before too long.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"someone awesome to eat..." What a title for this post and on spooky Halloween...nice one, @Krabby.

I'm a fan of Jim's Steaks (also, wiz wit) in South Philly (not very close to Newtown Sq.). I've always heard amazing things about Dalessandro's Steaks, but I've never personally had one (yet). This might upset some people that are truly from Philly (sorry in advance), but I don't really think you could go wrong with any of the well-known cheesesteak shops in the Philly area. They're all pretty delicious.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@IrishHusker Good call on Thunderbird! I got a whiz-witch and it was great. Maybe a bit too much whiz if I'm honest - it made an absolute mess - but was a fantastic lunch before I hit the road on the way home. The guys at RDS said there's an amazing steak shop that recently opened in West Chester (I don't recall name) that will be on the list too.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
@IrishHusker Good call on Thunderbird! I got a whiz-witch and it was great. Maybe a bit too much whiz if I'm honest - it made an absolute mess - but was a fantastic lunch before I hit the road on the way home. The guys at RDS said there's an amazing steak shop that recently opened in West Chester (I don't recall name) that will be on the list too.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Adding for the others that need to find a place to eat.

Pizza West Chester - not kidding that is the name of the place.
Steaks West Chester- same guy as above

Rocky's Pizza in Broomall
Sopranos in Newtown Square

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
What was your experience like at RDS? They are my dealer as well but I am back of the line, not till April they said.

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
"someone awesome to eat..." What a title for this post and on spooky Halloween...nice one, @Krabby.

I'm a fan of Jim's Steaks (also, wiz wit) in South Philly (not very close to Newtown Sq.). I've always heard amazing things about Dalessandro's Steaks, but I've never personally had one (yet). This might upset some people that are truly from Philly (sorry in advance), but I don't really think you could go wrong with any of the well-known cheesesteak shops in the Philly area. They're all pretty delicious.
Used to work in Center City for about 10 yrs. Always went to Reading Terminal Market or got a cheesesteak from Louis Steaks cart. All good.

Back
Top Bottom