The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sleeping in the Back

SteveGren

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
Ok question to you folks who have been lucky enough to actually see the vehicle.

What are the sleeping possibilities looking like?

For the two seater...does it look like you could easily sleep in the back?  I  currently have a 100 series landcruiser..is there more or less space back there?

For the five seater...how did it look for the width (the vehicles seems pretty wide) and 'depth' of the back seats for sleeping...anyone think you could liee on the back seat and sleep between the doors if you were 6 foot tall and not be scrunched up and uncomfortable?

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
GrenadierDiscovery 4 (L319)Gelandewagen (new)100 Series LCJeep JL 4 drW-Base2,922 mm (115.0 in)W-Base2,885 mm (113.6 in)W-Base2,890 mm (113.78 in)W-Base2,850 mm (112.2 in)W-Base3,007 mm (118.4 in)Length4,927 mm (194.0 in)Length4,838 mm (190.5 in)Length4,817 mm (189.65 in)Length4,890 mm (192.52 in)Length4,785 mm (188.4 in)Width1,930 mm (76.0 in)Width2,022 mm (79.6 in) (mirrors folded)Width1,931 mm (76.02 in)Width1,940 mm (76.38 in)Width1,875 mm (73.8 in)Height2,033 mm (80.0 in)Height1,970 mm (77.6 in) (including roof rails)Height1,969 mm (77.52 in)Height1,850 mm (72.83 in)Height1,801 mm (70.9 in)
So here is what I've found online, not sure if the figures are totally correct but it seems that the Grenadier is pretty tall and long enough, perhaps to 'comfortably' sleep inside. I'm pretty surprised at the standard height to be honest, I though it would be a bit more squat from what I've seen online.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That is a very valuable and pertinent question. I am also very keen to get this question answered. I sleep in my G Wagon (older 1979 - 2018 design) 5 - door model all the time. Here are my few observations. 

G Wagon 1979 - 2018 approx dims:
The external dimensions:
Wheelbase - 112.2"
Length - 183.5"
Width - 69"
Height - 72.3"

Now some relevant internal dimensions on my G:
Back of front seats in regular state to tailgate interior: ~68”
Rear interior width: ~59”
Rear door interior width: ~39” (10” on each side nacelle)
Rear door interior height: ~47”

I have first hand experience with the 80 series, 100 series and G wagon. So let me expand on my assessment with those vehicles in mind. The new G Wagon seems a lot more cramped IMHO..so wont be talking about that.

For reference, I am 6' (72") tall. So need about 75 - 78" to sleep fully stretched out with a pillow. Since there is only about 68" when the front row is in normal position, I normally push the seats and seat backs forward a bit and that gives me the additional 7" I need. However, I have seen 6'/ 6'2" guys sleep quite comfortably in 80 and 100 series landcruisers.

First of all, see the comparative numbers of the wheelbase and overall length. The wheelbase numbers of G, 100 and Gren are all close-ish at 112.2", 112.2" and 115". However, see the overall length..183.5", 192.5, 194". There in lies part one of the interior sleeping experience. The G Wagen has a really short overhang which translates to better offroading but compromised interior space. The LC100 has a much longer overhang, so it needs lifts and steel rear bumpers etc, to avoid dragging butt..but its very comfy inside.

Secondly, I love the fact that the G Wagon has a tall interior height. It allows to have a sleeping platform where you can also sit up in, during bad weather. The LC100 doesn't have that much vertical space. So I have a sleeping platform thats ~12-12.5" of the base and it still leaves me about 34-35" of sit up space. 

Looking at the Grenadier without knowing the exact internal dimensions, I think the vertical space will be close to a G, so you can sit up inside. The length from the back of first row seats to tail gate will be just about enough to accomodate my 72" frame but I might still need to push the front seats forward. This is just a guesstimate looking at the leg room in second row seats and extrapolating trunk space from there

dominicperry

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Rear seats do not fold flat to the floor, but Ineos claim to be selling a tray as an accessory, to create flat load space. Not sure how much weight it will take, seems like a poor solution, but would presumably work for sleeping on even if it’s not rugged enough for massive loads. But there’s no picture of it or sign of it in the configurator, it was just mentioned in a video. Disco 4 (LR4) - flat as a pancake in the back. 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
dominicperry said:
Rear seats do not fold flat to the floor, but Ineos claim to be selling a tray as an accessory, to create flat load space. Not sure how much weight it will take, seems like a poor solution, but would presumably work for sleeping on even if it’s not rugged enough for massive loads. But there’s no picture of it or sign of it in the configurator, it was just mentioned in a video. Disco 4 (LR4) - flat as a pancake in the back. 

That I have to say is a bit of a let down. Let's hope that they do a last minute revision. The Disco 4 is great in that regard great nights sleep even for a 6 footer.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think a simple 1/2 in plywood cut to size with some tie downs and 2x4 legs at the same height as the seats folded down should be a good sleeping setup. It will also create a good double tier storage solution with Rubbermaid boxes or drawers if you wanna be fancy

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
When I had a “Series 1” Land Rover Discovery I removed the rear seats entirely and did sleep inside. However, as I was determined not to use a roof rack until I HAD to, the load space quickly filled with of containers of spare Land Rover parts, cooking supplies, off-road recovery gear, and then more Land Rover spare parts. At bedtime all that stuff had to be moved and ‘sleep’ outside (rain or moonshine). In the morning the whole process had to be reversed…

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Ovrland said:
When I had a “Series 1” Land Rover Discovery I removed the rear seats entirely and did sleep inside. However, as I was determined not to use a roof rack until I HAD to, the load space quickly filled with of containers of spare Land Rover parts, cooking supplies, off-road recovery gear, and then more Land Rover spare parts. At bedtime all that stuff had to be moved and ‘sleep’ outside (rain or moonshine). In the morning the whole process had to be reversed…

Exactly!Sleeping inside a car is something you do in your youth,  or if you camp alone.Or I spose if you have to suffer bears.A quality roof top tent is required for those who travel with wife/GF/BF and who don't enjoy erecting ground tents. 

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Found this video ; the reviewer is fairly adamant that sleeping in the back is not really possible.(Anything's possible , sometimes compromises are involved!)

This guy is definitely not a fanhttp://youtu.be/Mycwqi4qmqE

Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
The partition mounts behind the front and rear seats may be suitable to hang a night platform from, so you can sleep above the seats, assuming the front seats can move tilt far enough away for clearance, the rears fold down enough if fitted.

SteveGren

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Chocki said:
The partition mounts behind the front and rear seats may be suitable to hang a night platform from, so you can sleep above the seats, assuming the front seats can move tilt far enough away for clearance, the rears fold down enough if fitted.

I'm trying to picture what you mean here....like a piece of wood hanging from that metal grid...but its close to the roof and you climb up into it? (Sort of like those rigs that have a bed over the cab...but in this case the bed is over the backseat?

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:20 AM
Reaction score
SteveGren said:
I'm trying to picture what you mean here....like a piece of wood hanging from that metal grid...but its close to the roof and you climb up into it? (Sort of like those rigs that have a bed over the cab...but in this case the bed is over the backseat?

I think you nailed what he's saying. But perhaps instead of hanging from the grid, it's hanging from where the grid can lock in (both front and back)

Back
Top Bottom