The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sid from Texas!

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
A potential owner here. I have been looking for a good 25 year old Toyota Series 70 or 80 Land Cruiser but, at ~$50,000USD when located, find the price to be an issue for a vehicle that old and with so many miles or Km on it in addition to overall age.

I went to Sewell Grenadier in Plano, TX and was reasonably impressed with the dealership even though it is still under construction. I'm thinking a basic model with the Rough Pack "might" be a better option for me than a Lexus LX or GX or shudder ... a Jeep Rubicon!

The ~$75K Grenadier price is not as off-putting as initially thought after looking at things like Jeep Rubicons and the Chevrolet Colorado Bison pickup.

Best Regards,
Sid from Texas

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
A potential owner here. I have been looking for a good 25 year old Toyota Series 70 or 80 Land Cruiser but, at ~$50,000USD when located, find the price to be an issue for a vehicle that old and with so many miles or Km on it in addition to overall age.

I went to Sewell Grenadier in Plano, TX and was reasonably impressed with the dealership even though it is still under construction. I'm thinking a basic model with the Rough Pack "might" be a better option for me than a Lexus LX or GX or shudder ... a Jeep Rubicon!

The ~$75K Grenadier price is not as off-putting as initially thought after looking at things like Jeep Rubicons and the Chevrolet Colorado Bison pickup.

Best Regards,
Sid from Texas
I agree with you there Sid. I think the Grenadier would be a good option. I have a 20 year old Defender which I love. It has now been consigned to Sunday's only following six months of Grenadier ownership. In fact I would like to sell my Defender as not really needed anymore. The Grenadier does all I need and provides a very similar, positive experience for me. Stirs the soul like my Defender did for so long.

Local time
Reaction score
I agree with you there Sid. I think the Grenadier would be a good option. I have a 20 year old Defender which I love. It has now been consigned to Sunday's only following six months of Grenadier ownership. In fact I would like to sell my Defender as not really needed anymore. The Grenadier does all I need and provides a very similar, positive experience for me. Stirs the soul like my Defender did for so long.

If an older Defender was available locally in good condition for reasonable money, I'd be all over it. I looked at the new ones on the showroom floor recently and was not impressed for the price. Those new Defenders are not the Defenders of the past which many of us want. They really seem like shopping mall and country club cruisers, not Overlanders and good work vehicles.

To be honest, I would rather own a Porsche Macan than a new generation Land Rover Defender!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If an older Defender was available locally in good condition for reasonable money, I'd be all over it. I looked at the new ones on the showroom floor recently and was not impressed for the price. Those new Defenders are not the Defenders of the past which many of us want. They really seem like shopping mall and country club cruisers, not Overlanders and good work vehicles.

To be honest, I would rather own a Porsche Macan than a new generation Land Rover Defender!
My cousin whom I speak with all the time, lives near Weatherford, west of Ft Worth. He talked of taking my Defender to Texas however, I have advised him to buy the Grenadier instead. He currently has the F250 which he loves, as well as a couple of other vehicles.

Local time
Reaction score
My cousin whom I speak with all the time, lives near Weatherford, west of Ft Worth. He talked of taking my Defender to Texas however, I have advised him to buy the Grenadier instead. He currently has the F250 which he loves, as well as a couple of other vehicles.

I've been through Weatherford, TX many times over the years. I lived and worked in West Fort Worth for about 15 years myself.

Why the strong feelings of the IG over the Defender you have?

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Sold my 2008 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - owned since 2011 - and replaced it with a Grenadier Fieldmaster. it really was the best thing I did in 2023. Using it as my daily driver. Love it completely. Living on a Hebridean island with, let’s say, not the best roads, it makes a lot of sense!

Volvo XC90 inscription for those trips where speed and luxury are the order of the day :cool:

The ever lovely Mrs ‘Coullabus’ is also a definite Grenadier convert. So, my advice, just do it!

IMG_1858.jpeg
the old and the new……

frcnducted

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
sidpost, my story is very similar to yours. I was did the math over and over again reconditioning a 70 or 80 series. Everytime I did the math it was gonna cost 30-35k on top of the vehicle price. The tow capacity played a big role for me too. The final kicker was I have been so busy with work since COVID. With what free time I do have it would take me 7yrs to get it to my vision. Enter the TM. The only regret I have is that my Gren catches quite a bit of attention and looks. I like to fly under the radar. Hopefully a lot more get sold and it becomes more normal.

Texas Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Howdy Sid!! Welcome to the forum! Hope you get one soon and look forward to seeing ya around here partner.

Back
Top Bottom