The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rooftop conversion - Kronos

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
With proper kit out of side hugging cabinets/drawers etc it would be livable and daily use convenient

Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
And you don't have to remove the rear (2nd row) seats to enter the sleeping area since the entrance is at the back of the vehicle. You could just fold one of the seat halves down if you need to access any gear stored in the 2nd or 1st row.

I'm trying to get more info from EC thru my USA associate, on the engineering behind the Mulgo.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
With proper kit out of side hugging cabinets/drawers etc it would be livable and daily use convenient
Not in a 4wd, well, not for me. At 6’4” the last place I want to spend my time is inside a vehicle (apart from actual driving). I don’t want to cook/eat/pee/poo/read/converse/sleep in cramped and “efficiently over-stuffed” conditions. That is just like the tiny home nonsense.

Local time
Reaction score
Not in a 4wd, well, not for me. At 6’4” the last place I want to spend my time is inside a vehicle (apart from actual driving). I don’t want to cook/eat/pee/poo/read/converse/sleep in cramped and “efficiently over-stuffed” conditions. That is just like the tiny home nonsense.

You prefer to do yer bidness in the pouring down rain and cold? That wet TP is fun to deal with. ;) :LOL:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
You prefer to do yer bidness in the pouring down rain and cold? That wet TP is fun to deal with. ;) :LOL:
It is why people install awnings.
Otherwise in the pouring rain the waste products and their odours tend to accumulate over the course of the evening/night/day.

Local time
Reaction score
It is why people install awnings.
Otherwise in the pouring rain the waste products and their odours tend to accumulate over the course of the evening/night/day.

Well that's perhaps one reason they install them. ;) Here on the drier side of the mountains it'd be mainly for shade.

PS--Daniel at EC said that the overhead switch panel in their Mulgo poptop conversion is in the standard INEOS position; has not been moved.

Last edited:

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Saw this in person at the 4wd show sydney yesterday, it was literally completed only days ago.

Roof top basically cuts the hole in the middle of the roof behind the switch panel support. The sides are left on as they contain the curtain air bags. And the back for support. Thus the hole in the "middle"

The top extends al the way to to the front though, over the top of the switch gear.

Sorry I didn't get any photos, I figured there would be heaps on line. Discussions were they would be working with black sheep to sell, with orders already made for os

Oh, cost is just under 15k AUD

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Saw this in person at the 4wd show sydney yesterday, it was literally completed only days ago.

Roof top basically cuts the hole in the middle of the roof behind the switch panel support. The sides are left on as they contain the curtain air bags. And the back for support. Thus the hole in the "middle"

The top extends al the way to to the front though, over the top of the switch gear.

Sorry I didn't get any photos, I figured there would be heaps on line. Discussions were they would be working with black sheep to sell, with orders already made for os

Oh, cost is just under 15k AUD
Interesting and to me sounds rather cheap for the parts & work needed. I would have guessed at easily double that.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting and to me sounds rather cheap for the parts & work needed. I would have guessed at easily double that.
The way they have done it, there is really not a whole lot to it.

Remove trim, cut hole, bolt and glue on prefabricated top and replace trim. There is no real electrical to mess with and all the structural stuff is still in the car

It basically a big roof top tent, with the entrance through the new big open sunroof inside the car

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The way they have done it, there is really not a whole lot to it.

Remove trim, cut hole, bolt and glue on prefabricated top and replace trim. There is no real electrical to mess with and all the structural stuff is still in the car

It basically a big roof top tent, with the entrance through the new big open sunroof inside the car
but any additional support to compensate for the loss of the 3 structural roof beams?

sean303boards

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
As an ex panel beater and smash repair business owner I can assure people the cross beam in a roof of any car provide little to no structural integrity, they are there to bond a big piece of metal to , it stops the roof panel being a big bouncy and noisy drum
This is what I’m talking about.. kinda annoying when people say “ you better reinforce the hell out of it if you cut those cross bars”. The roof dynamic payload is 150kg.. if the truck rolls over I think there’s more then 150kg of dynamic load happening to the roof at this point.. so the structural support is coming from elsewhere.. is there something I’m missing about this point?

Reactions: Max

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:16 PM
Reaction score
Yes, when I camp, I camp outside. This can even be tent camping in 0F ambient. No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing and gear ;)

My wife does not subscribe to the same camping ethos, so I typically have to trade B&B nights for tent nights.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
A comment about the general approach, and NOT Mulgo, whose work is excellent...

- this seems to turn the whole car towards one single purpose, i.e.
- a $120,000 tent?
- to sleep, one must empty the entire car?

I travelled Aus in a kombi for 6 months... the pop-top idea, to me, seems inseparable from/ predicated upon the vehicle interior being inhabitable, which it kind of isn't in a 4WD?
My 2nd hand Bandit swag cost me $90... it is the maximum budget I set for now!!!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, when I camp, I camp outside. This can even be tent camping in 0F ambient. No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing and gear ;)

My wife does not subscribe to the same camping ethos, so I typically have to trade B&B nights for tent nights.
you are ahead of me - I can't get mine out but she has promised to try

Local time
Reaction score
They are not "structural" as per their engineering team. The only one not allowed to be cut was the front one, the others provide basic support for the roof, that is now removed

EC has said the same thing about the 3 roof beams. They aren't structural, they are to attach the roof sheetmetal to.

Back
Top Bottom