The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rhino Roof Bar Fitting Instructions Missing

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:48 PM
Reaction score
For various reasons I asked my agent not to fit my roof bars and that I would fit them myself. The leaflet in the box has a QR code and URL for the fitting instructions: ineosgrenadier.com/fitting-instructions. The link does not work and there are no instructions in the box. There are a lot of parts and bolts! Does anyone have them please? The agent isn't able to help.
20231002_103408.jpg

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Somewhere on the forum there is a link to an Ineos website that has more technical information, maybe someone knows the link. I tried to find it but couldn’t.

Reactions: Max

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi @Beormund ! I sympathise completely with your post.
Here are some ideas if you haven't started as yet :
The following is what I discovered coupled with some hints from my very helpful "new best friends" in the dealer workshop!
Tools: You'll need a 10mm socket/spanner and a narrow flat ruler marked in mm. A tape measure with a 90deg tab on the end isn't suitable for reasons which will become apparent.

Firstly, lay both bars on a flat surface parallel and next to each other.
NOTE: each bar has a Rhino Rack emblem on one vertical face at the end.
* Arrange the bars so they are laying "top-side" down ...i.e. the underside is facing upwards so that when the bars are the right way "up" both emblems will be at the same end and on the same side of the vehicle, both facing forward or both facing backwards...(choices, choices!;))

* Note that each bar has a plastic end insert in each . Unlock the insert with the coloured plastic key and slide it out of the bar...do this for both bars at both ends.
*In the box/plastic bags of nuts/bolts etc find the M8 bolts with 20mm square flat heads...there are 8 of them.
*Slide two bolts into each bar at each end.
* Collect the 8 washers and M8 nylock nuts ...the nuts require a 10mm socket /spanner
* Take one of the legs and position it over one end of the bar with the bolts protruding from below
*Align the bolts with the holes and lower the leg into position. Fit the washer and nut and tighten sufficiently to hold in place but enabling you to slide the leg along the bar.
*Repeat until each leg is fitted
*Now rotate the bars so they stand on their legs and check that the emblems are in the correct place (if you're a stickler for uniformity!:cool:
*Place the bars back as before so they are laying with the legs upwards.

NOTE: On advice from my dealer/agent, it appears that the gutters may not be exactly parallel. There is a slight convergence towards the rear between front and rear bars with the distance between the support legs on the rear bar being narrower by a few mm. These are the "secret numbers" 60mm and 55-60mm!(y)
* Decide which bar will be at the front and which one at the rear of the vehicle.
*For the front bar, take the ruler and slide it flat along the bar to meet the leg such that by sliding the leg the distance between the end of the bar and the leg is 60mm. Tighten the nuts enough so the bar doesn't easily move...don't overtighten.
Repeat for the other leg...same distance 60mm.
*For the rear bar
Repeat as above but the distance is 55-60mm which can only be confirmed when you offer the bars up to the vehicle and see how they sit in the roof gutter.
I used a pieces of the plastic bags in the packaging to protect the gutter while setting the bars in place to avoid scratching. May pay to have an extra pair of hands for the initial setup
Once the bar is in position and aligned, offer up the retaining bracket with the appropriate length torx screws which are fixed using the tool supplied. Once you are satisfied and the leg bases are close to the roof, you can then tighten the 10mm nuts and torx screws.
*Press the plastic end pieces into place and lock with the key
Track inserts:
There is a bunch of track inserts. I was advised to insert them into the top surface track and the forward facing track to minimise wind noise. HINT: Save the trim offcuts for patching when other fixtures are added . (They can be stowed in the rear facing slots!)
The bars with legs weigh 7kg each. I installed the inserts while the bars were clamped on a work bench. Others install them in situ on the vehicle. Wherever is suitable. A light spray with soapy water helps to push the inserts into place.

Hope this helps!

(PS: I purchased two sets of bars ... dictated by clearance issues under the garage door. The benefits I realised however were that they were half the price of a roof rack and half the weight, with a lot of flexibility to use as many or as few as needed depending on requirements... and I can manage to fit/remove them solo which I couldn't do with the roof rack.)

Last edited:

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Beormund ! I sympathise completely with your post.
Here are some ideas if you haven't started as yet :
The following is what I discovered coupled with some hints from my very helpful "new best friends" in the dealer workshop!
Tools: You'll need a 10mm socket/spanner and a narrow flat ruler marked in mm. A tape measure with a 90deg tab on the end isn't suitable for reasons which will become apparent.

Firstly, lay both bars on a flat surface parallel and next to each other.
NOTE: each bar has a Rhino Rack emblem on one vertical face at the end.
* Arrange the bars so they are laying "top-side" down ...i.e. the underside is facing upwards so that when the bars are the right way "up" both emblems will be at the same end and on the same side of the vehicle, both facing forward or both facing backwards...(choices, choices!;))

* Note that each bar has a plastic end insert in each . Unlock the insert with the coloured plastic key and slide it out of the bar...do this for both bars at both ends.
*In the box/plastic bags of nuts/bolts etc find the M8 bolts with 20mm square flat heads...there are 8 of them.
*Slide two bolts into each bar at each end.
* Collect the 8 washers and M8 nylock nuts ...the nuts require a 10mm socket /spanner
* Take one of the legs and position it over one end of the bar with the bolts protruding from below
*Align the bolts with the holes and lower the leg into position. Fit the washer and nut and tighten sufficiently to hold in place but enabling you to slide the leg along the bar.
*Repeat until each leg is fitted
*Now rotate the bars so they stand on their legs and check that the emblems are in the correct place (if you're a stickler for uniformity!:cool:
*Place the bars back as before so they are laying with the legs upwards.

NOTE: On advice from my dealer/agent, it appears that the gutters may not be exactly parallel. There is a slight convergence towards the rear between front and rear bars with the distance between the support legs on the rear bar being narrower by a few mm. These are the "secret numbers" 60mm and 55-60mm!(y)
* Decide which bar will be at the front and which one at the rear of the vehicle.
*For the front bar, take the ruler and slide it flat along the bar to meet the leg such that by sliding the leg the distance between the end of the bar and the leg is 60mm. Tighten the nuts enough so the bar doesn't easily move...don't overtighten.
Repeat for the other leg...same distance 60mm.
*For the rear bar
Repeat as above but the distance is 55-60mm which can only be confirmed when you offer the bars up to the vehicle and see how they sit in the roof gutter.
I used a pieces of the plastic bags in the packaging to protect the gutter while setting the bars in place to avoid scratching. May pay to have an extra pair of hands for the initial setup
Once the bar is in position and aligned, offer up the retaining bracket with the appropriate length torx screws which are fixed using the tool supplied. Once you are satisfied and the leg bases are close to the roof, you can then tighten the 10mm nuts and torx screws.
*Press the plastic end pieces into place and lock with the key
Track inserts:
There is a bunch of track inserts. I was advised to insert them into the top surface track and the forward facing track to minimise wind noise. HINT: Save the trim offcuts for patching when other fixtures are added . (They can be stowed in the rear facing slots!)
The bars with legs weigh 7kg each. I installed the inserts while the bars were clamped on a work bench. Others install them in situ on the vehicle. Wherever is suitable. A light spray with soapy water helps to push the inserts into place.

Hope this helps!

(PS: I purchased two sets of bars ... dictated by clearance issues under the garage door. The benefits I realised however were that they were half the price of a roof rack and half the weight, with a lot of flexibility to use as many or as few as needed depending on requirements... and I can manage to fit/remove them solo which I couldn't do with the roof rack.)
@DenisM - thank you very much. These instructions worked perfectly.

I've noticed that in various pics the front bar is always over the safari windows. Would there be a problem having it just behind them? Or is that too far back?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:48 PM
Reaction score
For various reasons I asked my agent not to fit my roof bars and that I would fit them myself. The leaflet in the box has a QR code and URL for the fitting instructions: ineosgrenadier.com/fitting-instructions. The link does not work and there are no instructions in the box. There are a lot of parts and bolts! Does anyone have them please? The agent isn't able to help.
View attachment 7828690
I got my roof bars yesterday and didn't open the box. Me too, for various reasons didn't want to get them mounted. The weight of the box (cardboard included) is 17 kg.

Thanks @DenisM for the instructions, I didn’t think it could be so complicated 😱

Last edited:

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7828690
"Agent not able to help" - how disappointing - but very pleased you have resolved the problem.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM - thank you very much. These instructions worked perfectly.

I've noticed that in various pics the front bar is always over the safari windows. Would there be a problem having it just behind them? Or is that too far back?
Thnx for the feed back...Glad to assist! I see no reason why you can't mount the the roof bars where you please! After all, Front Runner have come out with a 3/4 rack which stops short of the Safari Windows ;)

Rooballer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I purchased two sets of bars ... dictated by clearance issues under the garage door. The benefits I realised however were that they were half the price of a roof rack and half the weight, with a lot of flexibility to use as many or as few as needed depending on requirements... and I can manage to fit/remove them solo which I couldn't do with the roof rack.
@DenisM - Any chance you could run a tape over them and get a couple of measuremnts for me:
Length of the roof bars and the amount of overhang past the mounting brackets (or the distance between the outside of mounting brackets where they attach to the bars).
I am just trying to work out if I can remove the bars and add an off the shelf Rhino platform in thier place on the supplied feet - I have also ordered 2 sets....

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM - Any chance you could run a tape over them and get a couple of measuremnts for me:
Length of the roof bars and the amount of overhang past the mounting brackets (or the distance between the outside of mounting brackets where they attach to the bars).
I am just trying to work out if I can remove the bars and add an off the shelf Rhino platform in thier place on the supplied feet - I have also ordered 2 sets....
hi @Rooballer
the bars without the plastic end caps are exactly 1650mm in length.( according to "Fat Max Stanley"😎)
If I then stand the bars on the floor with feet attached (minus the parts which grab the gutter) and position a carpenter's square ruler along an extension of the centreline of the bar and move it towards the bar until it contacts the foot (which is splayed outwards) there's a gap of 18mm from the vertical edge of the ruler to the end of the bar.
When I insert the slightly tapered plastic end piece which is 23-27mm thick....the bar now overhangs the outer edge of the foot by 8-9mm. (Remember that these values are based on a 60mm inset of the foot assembly as above).
Let me know if you need more info.
I haven't fitted the bars as yet... too much traffic in our narrow street"😟

Rooballer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
hi @Rooballer
the bars without the plastic end caps are exactly 1650mm in length.( according to "Fat Max Stanley"😎)
If I then stand the bars on the floor with feet attached (minus the parts which grab the gutter) and position a carpenter's square ruler along an extension of the centreline of the bar and move it towards the bar until it contacts the foot (which is splayed outwards) there's a gap of 18mm from the vertical edge of the ruler to the end of the bar.
When I insert the slightly tapered plastic end piece which is 23-27mm thick....the bar now overhangs the outer edge of the foot by 8-9mm. (Remember that these values are based on a 60mm inset of the foot assembly as above).
Let me know if you need more info.
I haven't fitted the bars as yet... too much traffic in our narrow street"😟
Thanks @DenisM - that gives me something to work with.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
View attachment 7828690
View attachment 7828690
View attachment 7828690
I asked my dealer and he sent me the PDF. I can't upload them. Too big. Next week at home I might try compressing them. Currently I only have the cell phone. But if you can send me your email address as a PM I will send you the PDF assembly instructions. Greetings Barney.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
View attachment 7828690
Sorry misread. I thought it was about the Rhino Rack. The PDF is the assembly instructions for the complete Rhino Rack.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I asked my dealer and he sent me the PDF. I can't upload them. Too big. Next week at home I might try compressing them. Currently I only have the cell phone. But if you can send me your email address as a PM I will send you the PDF assembly instructions. Greetings Barney.
It would be most helpful to get the pdf loaded on the forum as a "sticky" in due course... ;)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
Send the file directly to @Stu_Barnes and he can post it.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi amglounge, Thanks for posting the PDF above for the Rhino Surf Rack installation instructions from Rhino. I ordered these for my new Donald Takayama 9'6" noserider. DaBull
Wow! A surfboard fitted with a Rhino surfrack...I gotta see that!🤩😜

Back
Top Bottom