The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland Requesting a refund of deposit - Beware

Farmer Michael

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
Well Ineos finance department does seem a bit confused. Having cancelled my order, based on the VAT situation, and been fully refunded my deposit yesterday I received two requests for final payment stating the VIN and saying the vehicle will soon be at the dealer. The first was mathematically incorrect; although it showed -£2500 for the deposit (that has been returned) the outstanding balance was £9927.34 below the total vehicle cost. Three hours later a correct invoice arrives in my inbox. I am almost tempted to follow it through to see if they ever notice that I didn't sign the contract and that they refunded me the £2500.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
In the United States most places won’t refund to a different credit card. I don’t know if this a law or not but almost all places will only refund to the original card or the refunds have to get processed differently. Maybe it has something to do with your original payment method account being closed.
To the conversation about this point… I think this is to defeat money-laundering practices.

I wouldn’t issue a refund to a different account/person/entity either.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Well Ineos finance department does seem a bit confused. Having cancelled my order, based on the VAT situation, and been fully refunded my deposit yesterday I received two requests for final payment stating the VIN and saying the vehicle will soon be at the dealer. The first was mathematically incorrect; although it showed -£2500 for the deposit (that has been returned) the outstanding balance was £9927.34 below the total vehicle cost. Three hours later a correct invoice arrives in my inbox. I am almost tempted to follow it through to see if they ever notice that I didn't sign the contract and that they refunded me the £2500.
That's a car destined to be a dealers demo.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I requested some days ago a refund of my advance payment made in mid February by cancellation of the order (2.500€). Ineos confirmed the next day that they will proceed the payment within 14 working days. I am looking forward to that and will report accordingly. In Germany the legal definition of working days is Monday through Saturday. Let’s wait and see. I will consider a new order for this great vehicle concept, once a solid and fault free series build standard is achieved which obviously includes proper user and workshop documentation and spares availability as well as a „build for purpose“ reliability. Personally, I think that 100.000 km without serious faults (requiring road assistance or workshop) should be possible at regular use within about 5 years. At least that is, what I am used to in this price class and would call a reliable and well engineered and tested vehicle.
I received my deposit (£2,500) two days before they emailed me to say they were sorry I had cancelled my order.
That was a day after I had signed my contract (legally binding).
They then told me I would have to re order my Grenadier, at the new price (£10,000 more expensive).
I politely asked them to jump out of the window (if greater than 6 floors high).

Bought a 3 month old Utility Grenadier for what he paid for it (change of business). Much happier, now I don’t have to deal with Ineos Customer Support any more!

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
I received my deposit (£2,500) two days before they emailed me to say they were sorry I had cancelled my order.
That was a day after I had signed my contract (legally binding).
They then told me I would have to re order my Grenadier, at the new price (£10,000 more expensive).
I politely asked them to jump out of the window (if greater than 6 floors high).

Bought a 3 month old Utility Grenadier for what he paid for it (change of business). Much happier, now I don’t have to deal with Ineos Customer Support any more!
So customer service got your money in timely manner and shared that if you change your mind that you would not be able to get the IG at your orginal price. IMO, they did a great job solving the problem and provide clear transparency

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen from earlier posts, after months of lies from Ineos, I cancelled my order and requested a refund. Ineos did not perform the required validation checks and transmitted the refund to a closed account. They promised they'd transferred £2,500 which, after two weeks, they then claimed was £2,050 (i.e. not including reservation fee). It's now been over 4 weeks and I've lost count of the emails and calls.

The card provider has supplied documented evidence that the funds were returned to Ineos. Today's email from Ineos states that they have made the transfer and will be closing the case. They accept the account is closed but refuse to anything about it. The Ombudsman states that only the merchant i.e. Ineos can rectify their mistake.

I know many of you have received cars and are happy with the treatment you've received. I wanted to highlight my story for any potential buyers considering placing an order. The contract they supply is not fit for purpose (removes right to cancel but has no quoted dated back-stop) and if you decide not to sign, you enter the ridiculous games I'm currently in. If you're going to order, I would recommend you mentally write-off the deposit as I doubt you'll ever see it returned.

8 years ago I had a horrendous experience after a cancelled Ryanair flight. I said at the time that nobody could ever trump that terrible service. I have finally found someone to take their pole position. In my humble opinion, Ineos Automotive need to be investigated by both the Motoring and Financial Ombudsman.
Really sorry to read of the shocking experience you have suffered. No matter how good the product I think this is inexcusable. Have you thought of writing to the motoring press. Some of the magazines have a consumer section that deals with this sort of story.

Back
Top Bottom