The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear diff lock button faulty

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys, we got stuck in Greece on the beach. Luckily we got out but the rear difflock won’t disengage. There is an error saying “Button of the rear difflock is defect”

The rear difflock warning light is flashing red. The button is also flashing (orange)

I don’t think it’s safe to drive on-road now.
Any suggestions what I can do to disengage the rear difflock?

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1124.jpeg
    IMG_1124.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 90

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
Hope you get this sorted.

Have you tried to disengage the centre diff? I think that will knock the rear and front locks off as well.

Also, if the transmission is wound up a bit tight, have you tried to reverse a little. That always used to help in my G Wagen.

Good Luck

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys, we got stuck in Greece on the beach. Luckily we got out but the rear difflock won’t disengage. There is an error saying “Button of the rear difflock is defect”

The rear difflock warning light is flashing red. The button is also flashing (orange)

I don’t think it’s safe to drive on-road now.
Any suggestions what I can do to disengage the rear difflock?
When I only had my vehicle for a few days, I also tried out the differential locks. I also had red warning lights. I unlocked the centre differential lock. This also released the front and rear locks. I drove a few metres forwards and backwards. The lights in the switches are flashing. Then switched off the car. Switched off the ignition and waited 10 minutes. After switching the ignition on again and starting the engine, all the indicators went out. I wish you every success.

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you @Highwayman and @rovie for the quick reply. Turing off and wait 10 min. helped. The red flashing have disappeared and the error also. But the rear diff lock is still engaged. I’m now in high and center diff off and driving forward and backward for a few meters that I can drive straight ahead. To drive longer or faster I have to make a turn.

Do you think this will cause major problems? The road is asphalt

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
It may not be locked, it's probably more likely the sensor is malfunctioning. If you try turning you should be able to feel if it's locked. It also senses whether it's locked or not by comparing the wheel speed sensors of each side. So imo, try turning a little on pavement and see what happens

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
Thank you @Highwayman and @rovie for the quick reply. Turing off and wait 10 min. helped. The red flashing have disappeared and the error also. But the rear diff lock is still engaged. I’m now in high and center diff off and driving forward and backward for a few meters that I can drive straight ahead. To drive longer or faster I have to make a turn.

Do you think this will cause major problems? The road is asphalt
Sorry it’s still causing problems.

Can you safely jack up one of the rear wheels where you are? If you can, then you can confirm to yourself that the diff lock is definitely engaged on the rear. If you jack up one rear wheel and cannot rotate it (with the handbrake off), the the diff lock is engaged. If it will rotate, then the diff lock is not engaged and you have an electrical issue.

Keep us posted

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to disable the rear difflock! I drove backwards into the sand and made a right-angled turn backwards. And suddenly it came off.

Thank you so much guys for the help! As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be closed.

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
I managed to disable the rear difflock! I drove backwards into the sand and made a right-angled turn backwards. And suddenly it came off.

Thank you so much guys for the help! As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be closed.
Was it blinking or solid when it seems to still have been engaged.
There is a known "Feature" that even if you push the button to disengage it, it will keep blinking until the sensor measure a difference between the two tires and then the light goes off (mostly once you take a turn).
Physically it was stated the moment you push the button the locker disengage within seconds (Light turns from blinking to off).

See video from Robert Pepper:
View: https://youtu.be/KTgupbbRfog?t=831

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Was it blinking or solid when it seems to still have been engaged.
There is a known "Feature" that even if you push the button to disengage it, it will keep blinking until the sensor measure a difference between the two tires and then the light goes off (mostly once you take a turn).
Physically it was stated the moment you push the button the locker disengage within seconds (Light turns from blinking to off).

See video from Robert Pepper:
View: https://youtu.be/KTgupbbRfog?t=831
During and after the red-flashing light / “Button rear difflock deffect” problem the button was flashing orange.

So I think you’re right, it just needed a turn for the sensor to measure but I had too little confidence because of the red-flashing light.

Local time
Reaction score
During and after the red-flashing light / “Button rear difflock deffect” problem the button was flashing orange.

So I think you’re right, it just needed a turn for the sensor to measure but I had too little confidence because of the red-flashing light.
Yeah the red flashing light is something which is weird didn't hear about that one before.
Maybe best to bring it in to the agent to have them read out the fault codes.
Just so if something is not OK it can be fixed before it happens again.

This Grenny though! :)
How do you find it driving in NL on road, any trouble on the turning circles with all the small streets ? (I am Dutch, born and raised in Noord Holland Noord)

Btw: amazing trip you guys are doing!! got your website saved and the following.

explorersoverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah the red flashing light is something which is weird didn't hear about that one before.
Maybe best to bring it in to the agent to have them read out the fault codes.
Just so if something is not OK it can be fixed before it happens again.

This Grenny though! :)
How do you find it driving in NL on road, any trouble on the turning circles with all the small streets ? (I am Dutch, born and raised in Noord Holland Noord)

Btw: amazing trip you guys are doing!! got your website saved and the following.

Dankjewel voor de tip! Only the "closest" dealer on the route is in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia so have to wait a bit for reading out the fault codes.

No problem with driving the small streets in the Netherlands. And I can confirm that the Grenadier even can drive trough the small streets of Old Town, Ohrid, North Macedonia 😬

Exciting moments.. When we were stuck on the beach we got the scoop (i think): the first Grenadier EVER to be pulled by a Lada Niva! :ROFLMAO:
However, after about 20 meters of progress, it was also dug in and eventually a tractor was there to the rescue.

Dank voor het volgen @Blackbox88!

Attachments

• B77B6FDF-AF2A-4454-BC8B-A68658061401.JPG
    B77B6FDF-AF2A-4454-BC8B-A68658061401.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 36
  • c5d1fc01-f906-491d-8a0f-c7987f335255.JPG
    c5d1fc01-f906-491d-8a0f-c7987f335255.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1160.PNG
    IMG_1160.PNG
    438.3 KB · Views: 42

IG Pop

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
Dankjewel voor de tip! Only the "closest" dealer on the route is in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia so have to wait a bit for reading out the fault codes.

No problem with driving the small streets in the Netherlands. And I can confirm that the Grenadier even can drive trough the small streets of Old Town, Ohrid, North Macedonia 😬

Exciting moments.. When we were stuck on the beach we got the scoop (i think): the first Grenadier EVER to be pulled by a Lada Niva! :ROFLMAO:
However, after about 20 meters of progress, it was also dug in and eventually a tractor was there to the rescue.

Dank voor het volgen @Blackbox88!
Oeeff that is a bit of a drive well as long as the grenny behaves you would make it to Jeddah no problem :)

Nice Nice yeah was abit worried about the turning cricle but seems to be fine once you get use do it.

Lada Niva are little tanks almost unbreakable haha

safe trip and keep posting :)

Back
Top Bottom