The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Real world gas mileage

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
OK, just came back from a 2600-mile road trip. Most of that was fast highway driving (boy, do people drive fast), some - local errands in sub-freezing temps, so these mileage numbers include generous warm-up times.
The return trip (after ~1400 mile mark) was with a foldable baby crib strapped to the roof bars - which you can imagine takes some gas to move at 90+ mph in Utah and SoCal.

1704671777265.png
True average mileage - total fuel / total miles - was 14.23 mpg. It would have been the same in an 5.0V8 LR4.
The best gas mileage was achieved, unsurprisingly, during a white-knuckle drive in Wyoming/Idaho/Utah during a snowstorm, at speeds under the posted limits :)

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday we drove to Santa Barbara and back home and averaged 18.2, prior to that on long drives it was closer to 16mpg. Seems the more miles I put on it the better it gets.

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I was averaging 17.7 for a trip from the front range up to Vail and back. Quite pleasantly surprised. Plenty O’ power at altitude.

six1five

GG 319
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:53 AM
Reaction score
Averaging 18mpg mixed city and highway. Have 980-1k on the odometer and just filled the 3rd tank of gas.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you guys trusting the "average MPG" figures from the engine computer? The numbers I posted are from the real-world miles and pump-measured gallons.
The average numbers the Grenadier's ECU provided were universally 1-1.5 mpg too optimistic. Same for any modern vehicle I owned or rented.

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I would say that I meet, and sometimes exceed manufacturer's MPG estimates.

I'm always careful with my gas pedal and so I don't burn gas quickly. I used to own a Benz sedan and MPG was estimated at 18/25. I drove from Los Angeles to home for two hours avg 75-80 mph, and I was able to log 32 mpg - it was pretty cool. I currently own a 2017 Highlander and I'm right on the mark at 22mpg city/hwy - even sometimes punching the gas to pass quickly. My wife drives a Range Rover Sport and I feel that that MPG log is a bit optimistic - sometimes up to 29 MPG. Is it possible? Yes. Again, I'm slow on the gas pedal although once in a while I give it some punch.

We'll see what happens with the IG once I receive it, but regardless, the MPG will be low... :)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
Using the brakes burns more fuel