The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas On the fence

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello
Would appreciate some feedback, I found an in stock IG that is what I would like to have, but the closest dealer is 300 miles from me. My hesitation is being able to readily access a mechanic that knows the vehicle and get warranty covered items addressed if something goes wrong. This would be my daily driver vehicle.
Thanks

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Warranty coverage has to be done at a dealer; any service can be done by anyone you choose. You would be very hard pressed to find a mechanic who knows the vehicle/systems, but that is true of any new vehicle and especially of an all new brand.

Being in SC you are flanked by dealers, Triad in NC and Regal in GA.

There are plenty of threads on here regarding issues people have had, fixes to those issues, and general knowledge on the vehicle and the dealers.

Carolinaride

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello
Would appreciate some feedback, I found an in stock IG that is what I would like to have, but the closest dealer is 300 miles from me. My hesitation is being able to readily access a mechanic that knows the vehicle and get warranty covered items addressed if something goes wrong. This would be my daily driver vehicle.
Thanks
I am in charlotte and, not to be argumentative, trying to figure out how you could be 300 miles from high point or Atlanta. I assume you are in Charleston or further south on the coast? I will admit even with my proximity, there is not great convenience for out of town warranty work so i took a chance on a vehicle i liked enough to get over that hurdle. I assumed the relative commonality of the engine, transmission, etc meant routine maintenance could be handled at the bmw dealership or mechanic.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Any bmw dealer can do the maintenance. No biggie there.
This is also assuming your local BMW dealer is willing to work on a non-BMW vehicle. And also assuming it is specifically engine and transmission related maintenance. They won't have the experience/equipment to do anything with the axles, transfer case, interior (cabin filter), etc.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
Hello
Thanks
Imo, if this will be one of your primary vehicles then you need to have easy access to another car if/when you need to take the Grenadier in to the dealer for warranty work. It would be naive to expect it to not need any sort of warranty work. Fortunately the vehicles haven’t exhibited any major design flaws that affect all vehicles, but a few have experienced issues like water leaks that would take your dealer time to figure out and repair, depending on where the water is coming from (windows, door or HVAC). A few have experienced dash warning alerts where sensors report a problem that must be cleared, again by the dealer. Some of those warning alerts are real and some aren’t (usually due to either a bad sensor or improper placement at the factory - parking distance control and brake pad warnings are a couple of the false benign ones), but these still need to be sorted and cleared with the dealers service computer.

There are aftermarket companies that make OBDII devices that can read and clear vehicle service warnings, but I have not found any that currently have one that works with full access to the Ineos Grenadier computer. Carly is the brand I primarily use due to it’s easy interface, but they said they also don’t have an Ineos specific one yet.

It’s good you’re asking this question up front. I’ve read comments elsewhere where a buyer appeared to have seen a Grenadier, fell in love with it (easy to do), ran out and bought one (without doing much research), and then was upset (understandably) because it needed several issues fixed and the vehicle was down for long periods waiting on parts from Ineos.

A very few have gotten “lemons” that have had to go through the legal process to get their money back, but that’s been rare and is something that not only affects Ineos. If you buy a “used” Ineos from a dealer (very low miles but has been previously titled), make sure you pull all of the dealer service history of the vehicle. Some state lemon law protections do not cover “used” vehicles, and dealers use these loopholes to sell previously “lemoned” cars.
Ineos is a major company, but not in creating and marketing vehicles. They’ve had to create from scratch several complex parallel systems to bring this vehicle to market, and all of them have to work in sync. I’m in awe of what they’ve accomplished in such a short amount of time. Ask Henrik Fisker or Elon Musk how “easy” this is.

Best of luck on your decision!

Last edited:

C64_forever

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
Hello
Thanks
I just got mine and 100 miles in I got a Brake Wear warning. As @dreamalaska mentions, it is a benign one. I love the car, the feel, the looks.

The car is new and I think a healthy approach as an owner is to understand it will not be perfect. As to your specific question... I am in Northern California and bought from a dealer in Pasadena. So... your 300 miles seem great to me :)

Seriously, love the idea, love owning a unique car built for a purpose, and love it so far. Just be aware there will be glitches and don't expect Honda or Toyota type of perfection. As a daily driver, the BMW drive train should be as reliable as a BMW -- not trying to be funny, just stating the obvious.

Hope this helps in your decision. In the end, this car is not a rational choice. You have to want it for reasons other than the traditional ones that would make you choose a Bronco or a Defender. Best of luck!

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
My hesitation is being able to readily access a mechanic that knows the vehicle and get warranty covered items addressed if something goes wrong. This would be my daily driver vehicle.
Thanks
I think you just answered your own question. Even though most owners have not had issues that leave them stranded, there are issues. Maybe for you it is too early to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom