The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Medical Kits

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Show us your Med Kits⛑, Gents.

I’ve just completed my personally tailored kit for the road. Let me know what you think of it. As a former firefighter I’ve been professionally trained on the use of all these items in an emergency trauma care setting. Although less comprehensive than some, I feel a dedicated “blow-out” trauma kit is essential for back country travel, given size and weight constraints.
Other factors in my decision making process include quick access, and identification of the kit and contents for a rapid deployment in the event of an emergency. This kit’s contents address 1)rapid blood loss, 2)CPR, 3)immobilization, 4)hypothermia, and 5)snake/venomous bites.

A separate “boo-boo” kit with band-aids, ointments, and chapstick will be built and housed in different container.

Contents:
•1x 6” IsraelI style trauma dressing
•2x packs S Rolled Gauze
•1x pack Celox hemostatic gauze
•1x tourniquet
•1x CPR Mask
•1x trauma shears
•1x flexible splint
•1x Large Mylar blanket
•1x pair nitrile gloves
Pouch: Large Magpul Window DAKA
7FD996E3-AAD6-49C6-A1C8-4FC9DE3E61BC.jpeg

F2FF198D-5E4B-4849-B67A-7D9E0C646A5E.jpeg

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I carry a MyMedic Recon kit in the back, with a few odds and ends added to it; a bandaid/small bandage kit, and at least in our Sprinter (our travel vehicle) a rolling pharmacy of over the counter (and some not) medications across a full spectrum of possible needs. The Grenadier will probably get a MyMedic MyFAK Large + some medications

For "every day" use, our other vehicles have the MyMedic MyFAK with, again, a few odds and ends thrown in for good measure; a separate bandaid pouch for quick access, a SAM splint, and a few misc. medications. All the vehicles also have CAT's within easy reach

Official medical training for me is over a decade as an EMT-B, the first 2 years (classroom before clinical time) of medical school, and plenty of unofficial time playing an ALS provider.

Know what you have, know where it is, and know how to use it. No point in carrying a bunch of extra stuff that you have no idea how to use. Also, for that stuff you don't regularly use, make sure it isn't nasty and expired!

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There is more and more research supporting no rescue breathing and in the next round of updates rescue breathing will most likely disappear unless there is an advanced airway in place. Basically will just be continuous compressions.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
I carry different gear depending on where I am. I am an emergency physician so I carry basic first aid stuff and an assortment of meds everywhere. I keep a bag in each car with gloves, shears, tourniquets, chest seal, quickclot, and a SAM splint. If it's a longer trip or if the SHTF I have a big kit that has everything up to intubation gear. It's been a while since I refreshed the kits but when I get around to that I'll post pics.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
There is more and more research supporting no rescue breathing and in the next round of updates rescue breathing will most likely disappear unless there is an advanced airway in place. Basically will just be continuous compressions.
I agree, especially for patients you’re not close to. I’ll be traveling with a wife and child, so I decided to toss in the pocket mask. It’s got a one way valve to prevent sputum from making it to my mouth if I needed to use it.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've been tempted to start a business with telehealth access to meds you might need for adventure travel. It's a fairly niche market though and lots of regulatory hurdles, especially once you get past nausea meds and antibiotics.

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I carry different gear depending on where I am. I am an emergency physician so I carry basic first aid stuff and an assortment of meds everywhere. I keep a bag in each car with gloves, shears, tourniquets, chest seal, quickclot, and a SAM splint. If it's a longer trip or if the SHTF I have a big kit that has everything up to intubation gear. It's been a while since I refreshed the kits but when I get around to that I'll post pics.
I decided to leave the tension pneumothorax items out of my current kit. In the past I’ve kept 14ga. Catheters, chest seals, and nasopharyngeal… but now my plans take me to Australia with far less gun crime. I suppose a car accident could leave a victim with a punctured chest cavity, but for sake of space and such I decided to omit those items.

Looking forward to seeing your kit though! Thanks for the response 🤙

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I've been tempted to start a business with telehealth access to meds you might need for adventure travel. It's a fairly niche market though and lots of regulatory hurdles, especially once you get past nausea meds and antibiotics.
Have you looked into Jase Medical ?They’re a Utah based company doing precisely that, call up, talk with a physician and they’ll write prescriptions for antibiotics etc. to adventure/prepper minded people. Seems legit.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I decided to leave the tension pneumothorax items out of my current kit. In the past I’ve kept 14ga. Catheters, chest seals, and nasopharyngeal… but now my plans take me to Australia with far less gun crime. I suppose a car accident could leave a victim with a punctured chest cavity, but for sake of space and such I decided to omit those items.

Looking forward to seeing your kit though! Thanks for the response 🤙
The pneumothorax stuff is more paranoia because it's such an easy fix for someone with training and can kill you quick. Once I started accumulating ET tubes and ambu bags I had to decide what is too sick for me to work on outside of a hospital when there's a disaster or nobody to help. That's why I don't carry all that in the rig.

As for Jase, that's the model I'd wanted to build. To start up I'd need licenses for lots of states and software that meets federal regs for patient privacy. Malpractice, branding, etc makes it a bridge too far at this point considering there's already several businesses doing it.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Show us your Med Kits⛑, Gents.

I’ve just completed my personally tailored kit for the road. Let me know what you think of it. As a former firefighter I’ve been professionally trained on the use of all these items in an emergency trauma care setting. Although less comprehensive than some, I feel a dedicated “blow-out” trauma kit is essential for back country travel, given size and weight constraints.
Other factors in my decision making process include quick access, and identification of the kit and contents for a rapid deployment in the event of an emergency. This kit’s contents address 1)rapid blood loss, 2)CPR, 3)immobilization, 4)hypothermia, and 5)snake/venomous bites.

A separate “boo-boo” kit with band-aids, ointments, and chapstick will be built and housed in different container.

Contents:
•1x 6” IsraelI style trauma dressing
•2x packs S Rolled Gauze
•1x pack Celox hemostatic gauze
•1x tourniquet
•1x CPR Mask
•1x trauma shears
•1x flexible splint
•1x Large Mylar blanket
•1x pair nitrile gloves
Pouch: Large Magpul Window DAKA
View attachment 7836116

View attachment 7836119
The item most obvious by its absence is a snake bite bandage! A must-have for the Aussie outback and the local buskwalk. Serious comment! In fact you probably require x2. one to suit the kids and a larger one for the adults. Also, depending on the age of your child/children teach them how to apply. The latest ones have printed rectangles which when the bandage is stretched as it's applied, form a square which represents the correct tension.
Carrying one in you pocket as a matter of course when out walking in the bush should be standard practice... a tourniquet is not a proper substitute....;) (y)

EDIT:
It's most unlikely a kit from the USA contains the antivenene requirements for our local snakes.... ;-) My advice is to put a kit together suitable for local conditions once you arrive. Let me know if you want to go this way. I can point you in the right direction... I have no vested or other interests.... but I've been down this path as a matter of self preservation !:cool:

Last edited:

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
The item most obvious by its absence is a snake bite bandage! A must-have for the Aussie outback and the local buskwalk. Serious comment! In fact you probably require x2. one to suit the kids and a larger one for the adults. Also, depending on the age of your child/children teach them how to apply. The latest ones have printed rectangles which when the bandage is stretched as it's applied, form a square which represents the correct tension.
Carrying one in you pocket as a matter of course when out walking in the bush should be standard practice... a tourniquet is not a proper substitute....;) (y)

EDIT:
It's most unlikely a kit from the USA contains the antivenene requirements for our local snakes.... ;-) My advice is to put a kit together suitable for local conditions once you arrive. Let me know if you want to go this way. I can point you in the right direction... I have no vested or other interests.... but I've been down this path as a matter of self preservation !:cool:
I’ve looked into the snake bite smart wrap you describe, aside from that, the rest of the kit contains a splint. I can acquire some of the smart wrap when I get in country and toss it in completing my kit.

I’ll skip the anti-venom, not sure how it works anyways. It’s beyond my level of experience. I’m good with securing the Scene, immobilizing the bite area, and calling for help.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, especially for patients you’re not close to. I’ll be traveling with a wife and child, so I decided to toss in the pocket mask. It’s got a one way valve to prevent sputum from making it to my mouth if I needed to use it.

They are actually saying that stopping the compressions for the 20 secs to deliver the breaths decreases the chances of survival vs continuous compressions. The compressions build up the after load on the heart which helps with the perfusion, once they stop the blood pressure bottoms back out and has to get pumped back up so to speak. With an airway in place they are recommending to not stop the compressions while bagging. Last time I took ACLS and PALS the instructor said that if he was alone with a loved one he wouldn’t do rescue breathing.

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I’ve looked into the snake bite smart wrap you describe, aside from that, the rest of the kit contains a splint. I can acquire some of the smart wrap when I get in country and toss it in completing my kit.

I’ll skip the anti-venom, not sure how it works anyways. It’s beyond my level of experience. I’m good with securing the Scene, immobilizing the bite area, and calling for help.
The new Australian anti venom treats nearly every Australian venomous species. The hospital will give it as a last resort as the side effects are serious and the allergic reaction may be worse then the snake bite. The hospital will monitor symptoms first before administering antivenin. Apparently most snake bites in Australia are a dry bite with minimal venom and there are only an average 2 deaths a year. Work just had us refresh our snake bite first aid training and had the German snake wrangler present his collection of the 10 deadliest Australians that he handled and let loose in his portable snake arena.

Snake Bite kit.jpgSnake bite kit

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
They are actually saying that stopping the compressions for the 20 secs to deliver the breaths decreases the chances of survival vs continuous compressions. The compressions build up the after load on the heart which helps with the perfusion, once they stop the blood pressure bottoms back out and has to get pumped back up so to speak. With an airway in place they are recommending to not stop the compressions while bagging. Last time I took ACLS and PALS the instructor said that if he was alone with a loved one he wouldn’t do rescue breathing.
Good to know, thanks for the update

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the pre hospital world in central Maryland we switched to this probably 8-9 years ago, definitely the way to go

LeftCoastOverland

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
In the pre hospital world in central Maryland we switched to this probably 8-9 years ago, definitely the way to go
Isn’t Baltimore close to central Maryland?
HBO series The Wire had me believing lots of drug use there, wouldn’t be surprised to see other nasties as well.
“San Francisco CPR” all the way!

Back
Top Bottom