The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Lock that center diff early - and lock it often

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
I had a long debate with my father-in-law over Christmas about the benefits of triple locking diffs and solid axle suspension over the setups in his Lincoln MKX and Subaru base Impreza. After watching this I feel like I should have just put on a Robert Pepper video and walked away.

Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
I had a long debate with my father-in-law over Christmas about the benefits of triple locking diffs and solid axle suspension over the setups in his Lincoln MKX and Subaru base Impreza. After watching this I feel like I should have just put on a Robert Pepper video and walked away.
A...long...debate....with your father-in-law?
You are not only a real off-roader, you are a real man!!

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Robert Pepper followed up on this video with an article on his blog, specifically for Grenadier owners:

j3t3r

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have watched this video before, found it useful. Question I have is how fast can I drive on a gravel forest service road with the center dif locked (and would that be even recommended)? Seems like a Rally Vehicle, like a Pajero Evolution would locked the center dif going high speeds. I know it's not advised on smooth surfaces, but seems like I get better traction and smoother ride with center dif locked on gravel roads; just not sure how fast I can drive with it like that.

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Have watched this video before, found it useful. Question I have is how fast can I drive on a gravel forest service road with the center dif locked (and would that be even recommended)? Seems like a Rally Vehicle, like a Pajero Evolution would locked the center dif going high speeds. I know it's not advised on smooth surfaces, but seems like I get better traction and smoother ride with center dif locked on gravel roads; just not sure how fast I can drive with it like that.
I have driven up to 90km/hr in previous vehicles , and this new one.
Normally I stick to a 80km/hr limit, because it's much safer.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure that there is a published max speed... Technically, if the surface is loose (gravel, sand, snow) any speed should be fine (assuming in high range)

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What about top speed with all 3 differentials locked and in low gear? I was getting a bit nervous, but the rally driver in me was having too much fun running about 20mph on some gravel forest roads. That was only 6th gear, so I felt like I had a little more room to go. I told myself when I hit 8th gear, that would be the speed I don’t go over, but I never got to it.

I also didn’t want to unlock the front and rear, which would have happened automatically if I switched from low to high in the Grenadier.

Back
Top Bottom