The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is the roof galvanized?

Local time
6:30 PM
Reaction score
Because I throw a lot of salty things on the roof (on racks), this is where my past vehicles begin to rust. Anyone know if they galvanize the roof? Ford and Chevy have not done so over the years.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve seen them dip the whole body so probably?

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
How old are your vehicles?

I’ve been installing ecoat systems for the big three in the US since 2002, and I don’t ever recall seeing a vehicle going through the dip tanks that weren’t completely submerged. All American vehicle chassis are electroplated prior to going over to the paint shop.

So I’m curious where you got the idea that the roofs were not electroplated?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Because I throw a lot of salty things on the roof (on racks), this is where my past vehicles begin to rust. Anyone know if they galvanize the roof? Ford and Chevy have not done so over the years.
As far as I know the entire vehicle is galvanized except the ladder frame - that is coated.

Local time
Reaction score
How old are your vehicles?

I’ve been installing ecoat systems for the big three in the US since 2002, and I don’t ever recall seeing a vehicle going through the dip tanks that weren’t completely submerged. All American vehicle chassis are electroplated prior to going over to the paint shop.

So I’m curious where you got the idea that the roofs were not electroplated?
Most recent was a 2016 Expedition. That and the 2004 Expedition before it both rusted within 4 years. Hoping to buy a 20- or 30-year vehicle. That’s why I ask.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Does Dodge/Ram do that? Because if you put your ear on one and listen carefully, you ca. hear it rusting. 🤣
Dodge is a funny one. Because, I just completed the total renovation of their Warren truck facility about three years ago.
Dodge was always the stepchild of the industry, because their company was smaller, and they didn’t ever have any money. So when the two bigger siblings were having success, and had money, Chrysler had none.
When the ram truck became successful, almost as if by magic, Chrysler had money to spend, and was putting it to good use.

A Dodge truck today bears no resemblance to a Dodge truck of 15 years ago.

They have all the same coatings and paint technologies as their larger siblings, and have state of the art quality.
A simple comparison, is just look at orange peel in the paint.
The more atomized the paint, the finer the finish. Atomization costs millions.
Ram paint is second best of the 5 big US brands.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Depends
There are 3 and some places powder coat after etch
1 is degreaser
2 is phosphate e coat
3 is rinse

Local time
Reaction score
More than likely poor draining, or wax plugged, not unplated.
I can only tell you my experience: Multiple deep scratches on the doors and fenders yield no rust; intact paint on the roof bubbles and bursts with rust like a ‘72 Olds 88. The metal must be different, or must be treated differently.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
The grenadier is using quite new tech on the anti corrosion, via electrophoretic coating, but the particular coating is apparently quite promising. There was some info on it in some of the early ‘building the grenadiers’ era video and written material. between that on the body, and the multiple layers on the chassis hopefully corrosion will be low on the list of long term ownership issues!

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The grenadier is using quite new tech on the anti corrosion, via electrophoretic coating, but the particular coating is apparently quite promising. There was some info on it in some of the early ‘building the grenadiers’ era video and written material. between that on the body, and the multiple layers on the chassis hopefully corrosion will be low on the list of long term ownership issues!
Every mfg uses accelerated corrosion testing before setting warrant lengths for rust through.
Surface blistering is more problematic because there can be 10 reasons for it
But if you maintain the membrane with scratch-fill, 10 years is nothing nowadays for rust through.
I would have no concerns about these cars making 10 years rust free, excluding paint damage precursors.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
But if you maintain the membrane with scratch-fill, 10 years is nothing nowadays for rust through.
My completely rust free 1978 911 was sold with a 7 year anti corrosion warranty. Galvanising works, but there are more modern methods.

Back
Top Bottom