The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier Height

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Visited my local refuse and recycling centre yesterday. They have a height restriction bar of 2m! I guess this is to stop vans - I don't think the Grenadier will fit under it. Some local beauty spots have similar car park height restrictions too. Damn!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Happens all the time with my D4 with roof bars. height in lowered mode still over 2m, lots of carparks (airports etc etc) low railway bridges means this is an issue. pita!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Happens all the time with my D4 with roof bars. height in lowered mode still over 2m, lots of carparks (airports etc etc) low railway bridges means this is an issue. pita!
I guess that’s why the G model is just under 2 m.

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Most parking garages in Germany are 1.90m maximum. Every time a pleasure to find a parking space with the Defender - it doesn't get any better with the Grenadier. Such cars are not designed for the city. Local refuse and recycling center with max. 2.00m somehow makes no sense - unless everyone should only be able to deliver a small trunk load.

The question is: how flexible is the construction of the clearance height restriction ;-)

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Most parking garages in Germany are 1.90m maximum. Every time a pleasure to find a parking space with the Defender - it doesn't get any better with the Grenadier. Such cars are not designed for the city. Local refuse and recycling center with max. 2.00m somehow makes no sense - unless everyone should only be able to deliver a small trunk load.

The question is: how flexible is the construction of the clearance height restriction ;-)
I once tried out with the Defender in the garage of a supermarket. the construction of the sign "2 Meter maximum height" was quite flexible (if you are slow enough). But I found out that the height has not been the same in the whole parking area. As soon as the roof antenna bangs against a Sprinkler tube you brake quite fast...
Since then I try to stay close to the rules (most times)

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
It's a 4x4.

Simply drive over the embankment from the back of the terrain.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a 4x4.

Simply drive over the embankment from the back of the terrain.
It’s a 4x4 but not a tank.
There is the difference… I live in a city. It’s sometimes hard to reach a parking from the back. Often there are things in the way. Houses for example 😬

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I have a very similar height at my local refuse centre. However if I speak to the staff they open the barriers to let you in, as said it’s to stop commercial vehicles.

Unfortunately that won’t help with car parks. I get round this by not taking my bigger vehicles anywhere near a city. This is mainly because they are my nicer vehicles and cities are normally full of not so nice people who like to damage them, steal them, steal from them, or they can’t drive properly or don’t give much concern about the sh*t box they drive and don’t tend to give to much respect to what you drive in turn !!

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a very similar height at my local refuse centre. However if I speak to the staff they open the barriers to let you in, as said it’s to stop commercial vehicles.

Unfortunately that won’t help with car parks. I get round this by not taking my bigger vehicles anywhere near a city. This is mainly because they are my nicer vehicles and cities are normally full of not so nice people who like to damage them, steal them, steal from them, or they can’t drive properly or don’t give much concern about the sh*t box they drive and don’t tend to give to much respect to what you drive in turn !!
which city in particular do you mean? I would like to stay away from this one altogether.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I think if you stay away from all of them then you will be fine.

Having never lived in one, but had the misfortune to spend nearly all of my working life in them.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
My Mazda BT50 was around 2.1 Metres overall height and I find most carparks are 2.05 or 2.1 so when I travelled to Brisbane city for meetings I parked outside the city and caught the ferry up the river to the city centre. I also had trouble with hotel underground carparks as even if they said they had 2.2 or 2.25M clearance this was measure from the flat floor. The driveways were a steep angle and then the floor flat so he angle at the bottom of the driveway meant that when your front wheels hit the floor and your rear wheels were still on the driveway there wasn't enough clearance.

BT502.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
There is little hope to park in a German "Parkhaus" with a Grenadier.

The parking spaces are simply too narrow for such a wide car. It is possible to park there. But the drivers of the neighboring cars will certainly not be amused, and then tend to show little consideration for your paint - be it with shopping carts, belt buckles or -oops- with their car keys. 👿

What's more, most of them can't cope with the remaining space and already mess up when parking.

That's why I don't care about the height restrictions. I don't want to expose myself and my Grenadier to such unpleasantness.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks like you have your very own height barrier in the drive?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yep. Magic mushroom …
A funny one. (y)

After watching, youtube selected this one for me. The language is 'Schwyzerdütsch', a Swiss variation of German but very hard to understand even for Germans. But it doesn't necessarily take langage skills to have fun. I understood most of it and couldn't stop laughing. The cameraman comments in Schwyzerdütsch:

Back
Top Bottom