The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Fast. Idle

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
New to this so I hope I am doing the right thing.  

Does anyone know if the off road mode or off a winch is fitted there will need a fast idle mode to keep the batteries topped up as best they can?

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Andrew Kilby userid=9009180 postid=1332869188]New to this so I hope I am doing the right thing.  

Does anyone know if the off road mode or off a winch is fitted there will need a fast idle mode to keep the batteries topped up as best they can?[/QUOTE]

Good question.  I don't know for sure but my guess is that the IG does not have a "PTO" (power take off), and just runs the winch from alternator power.  But like I said I don't now.  Also not sure where you live or if they call it "PTO" where you live.  But in the United States that's what it's called. Since the winches pull so slowly, I think the power is in the mechanical advantage of super low gearing, making such torque not require more energy than the alternator or battery can put out.  It would be cool if the rig automatically revved up if it needed to.  Looking forward to a more sure answer in this thread. 

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
There is no PTO, where should it be driven from?

It is a Red Winch 

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:13 AM
Reaction score
The very old land Rover had a PTO. This was driven directly from the gear box . 

The G does not have that not would I expect it to.  The electric winch will draw a lot of current. Ii an Australia but I have heard  in the USA that fast idle is common and used to get the alternator output up or warm up the be engine I'm the very cold. 

I want to get the alternator output up so my coffee machine will work. Gotta love the decadence of a coffee machine while over landing.  

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Coffee is like Diesel: indispensable.

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Andrew Kilby userid=9009180 postid=1332869675]The very old land Rover had a PTO. This was driven directly from the gear box . 

The G does not have that not would I expect it to.  The electric winch will draw a lot of current. Ii an Australia but I have heard  in the USA that fast idle is common and used to get the alternator output up or warm up the be engine I'm the very cold. 

I want to get the alternator output up so my coffee machine will work. Gotta love the decadence of a coffee machine while over landing.  [/QUOTE]

The inverter is 2K so it will work with the engine off.

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=CountyV8 userid=8620645 postid=1332869877]

The inverter is 2K so it will work with the engine off.[/QUOTE]

It's 2k? Great! I hadn't read that anywhere, very good to know. You can actually do something with that.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A PTO only works if the engine works. Bit if she doesn't for whichever reason, you're stuck.

If I am not mistaken, the "aux battery" is advertised as a power source for e.g. a winch. If this is so, the winch should work without the engine running. - at least with a second battery.

Back
Top Bottom