The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Erratic ambient daylight sensing?

Scotsitalian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding the ambient daylight sensor s switching on sidelights and headlights in broad daylight when light stalk is set to auto?
I know I live in the frozen north but even on recent sunny days, the light sensor switches on sides and headlamps and then the centre display dims to such a degree I can hardly read the Satnav? I think it’s set incorrect at the factory?

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone else finding the ambient daylight sensor s switching on sidelights and headlights in broad daylight when light stalk is set to auto?
I know I live in the frozen north but even on recent sunny days, the light sensor switches on sides and headlamps and then the centre display dims to such a degree I can hardly read the Satnav? I think it’s set incorrect at the factory?
Today I have noticed the same thing that you explain, in full sun and with the lights on automatically the lights turn on and the navigation screen dims as if it were at night, someone else has noticed the same thing. Greetings Paco

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I have noticed the same thing that you explain, in full sun and with the lights on automatically the lights turn on and the navigation screen dims as if it were at night, someone else has noticed the same thing. Greetings Paco
Something I've always suffered with no matter what car I owned. That why I never use the auto function. I don't know weather it is an issue with the sun low in the sky in winter in the North.

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Something I've always suffered with no matter what car I owned. That why I never use the auto function. I don't know weather it is an issue with the sun low in the sky in winter in the North.
I don't think that's the problem Eric, I'm in Valencia with a splendid sun and it happens, in my previous cars it had never happened to me.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think that's the problem Eric, I'm in Valencia with a splendid sun and it happens, in my previous cars it had never happened to me.
I wonder if it is the windscreen wipers not clearing the sensor area at the top of the windscreen. But as I say my L/R was just as bad, and the wife's Fiat spider 🕷 is even worse. Or are car manufacturers just over cautious and it is triggered too soon.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if it is the windscreen wipers not clearing the sensor area at the top of the windscreen. But as I say my L/R was just as bad, and the wife's Fiat spider 🕷 is even worse. Or are car manufacturers just over cautious and it is triggered too soon.
I might be wrong but I believe the ambient light sensor is internal, its the small dome on the top rear of the dash. If you cover with something (dash mat, gloves, random detritus) it might stop it from working correctly.

grenexplorer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I’ve got the same thing happening. It seems like the angle of the sun my impact when it turns on and off.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, it's horrible. I feel like half the time my display is in dark mode. They need to recalibrate their settings.

Back
Top Bottom