The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Batwing Awning

ATP

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
I had a rhinorack batwing for a long time, but two covers perished in the WA sun. Mine didn't have the legs attached so you had to carry a pole bag, and the awning needed to poles and lifted in relatively light winds. Ended up not using as much as it was hassle for a quick lunch stop.

Ostrichwing looks good. Bush Company stuff is good but quite heavy, as are most free standing awnings. That rigidity only happens with extra bracing which means weight. So we're back to our old game of what compromises are you prepared to make? What else needs to be on the roof for your setup? That says what weight you have available for an awning and/or RTT... And lets not forget what all that weight does to centre of gravity!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
I have just ordered an ostrich wing awning from Tuff-Trek. There are specific brackets for fitting an ostrich wing awning to a rhino rack pioneer platform and these are on order coming from South Africa. No rush as my roof rack is on back order from Ineos also. Hopefully it all comes in at the same time 🤞🏼

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a 270 degree awning? I like the look of the Bush Company one but its mighty expensive, double the price of some others. Has anyone used one? any other recommendations?
We published a head to head test of several popular brands some time ago.

Additionally, I was recently introduced to OLC Adventure, in Germany, and first impressions imply it is very sturdy. I just uploaded a preview for a show. I haven't had the opportunity to test it properly yet, but it is on my to-do list. I will post any findings.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score

Additionally, I was recently introduced to OLC Adventure, in Germany, and first impressions imply it is very sturdy. I just uploaded a preview for a show. I haven't had the opportunity to test it properly yet, but it is on my to-do list. I will post any findings.
I only have experience of two awnings. The first I had was an EEZI-AWN Bat 270 that buckled in the first wind and the other was an Ostrich wing 270 very robust but heavy and this is the make I’m going for again. The other brand i know people who have is The Bush Company awnings, again super robust but heavy.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Can we confirm that the Rhino Rack version is what is being offered in the US? The roof rack I understand is Front Runner.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
Can we confirm that the Rhino Rack version is what is being offered in the US? The roof rack I understand is Front Runner.
Where did you get the FR info?

Regalz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
James Baroud Falcon 270, I have this full setup on my teardrop, very sturdy, easy to setup, not cheap.

RoyalWulff

Forum Supporter
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. My biggest need is one that stands up to the winds of Colorado.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
Clevershade is the lightest one I have seen for folks in OZ. I have seen a cool setup with two
180 awnings with a zippered filler for a 360 coverage. See video around 7.3 minute mark
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAknpklNmEk
Have the Clevershade 270, amazing and very well made in Aus from quality materials. Suspect it's the lightest this size and easy/quick 1 person installation and removal. The mounts of the awning slide into propriety crossbars and these utilise Rhino HD legs. Alternatively attach it to a platform. I don't own the company, just have the product.. :)

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Where did you get the FR info?
I stand corrected on this. The FR info came from my driving event where they thought would be FR, but I hit up FR online just last week and they said that, although their European group had designed the roof racks to fit the IG, they would not be the OEM supplier. So I am now guessing Rhino but IG online chat could not confirm that.

Back
Top Bottom